Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Re: Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

Mark wrote:Don't feel bad. This movie just doesn't appeal to most of us.
I feel bad to misreading the argument made :D

But yhea, I get that some people just don't feel called by it. I really liked the Video-game culture reference. Hell, you could (and TvTropes has done) a Boss analysis of the antagonists Scott Pilgrim has to fight. Each of the bad guys represent a classic Boss Archetype.

Ex: Mathew Patel = Warm-up Boss
Lucas Lee = Wake-up Call Boss
Todd = That One Boss
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

The problem is that a lot of people want more than video game references to make a good movie. There's nothing wrong with them but they need to be part of something bigger.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

For me its simply not that related to me. I mean, I'm young enough that even KOTOR is old for me. I simply won't get it much. I simply see nerdy kid kicking collective butt.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

It's the cluttering of small elements that made the movie so great. Like the message, the music, the jokes, the video-game reference, the campy acting, the characters, the chinese girlfriend, the gay roomate, the character development, etc..

And the pacing. The movie doesn't have any overly-long moment that you feel is drawing out for no good reason (again, YMMV), it actually progress VERY QUICKLY. It hit the mark perfectly for me, which is why I am praising it that much.

It's gonna be a cult classic for me, and I can't wait to watch it again. Let's just say that I was 100% sold when Mattew Patel started singing Bollywood-style. That was both soooo weird, yet "in character" for him...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

As Tyyr said, all those moments, the nostalgic references, make great dressing - but they can't substitute for actual content, nor can they mitigate a hackneyed plot or characterizations.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

I just don't understand what Wayne's World, for example, had that Scott Pilgrim doesn't.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

SolkaTruesilver wrote:I just don't understand what Wayne's World, for example, had that Scott Pilgrim doesn't.
Not much, IMO.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

SolkaTruesilver wrote:I just don't understand what Wayne's World, for example, had that Scott Pilgrim doesn't.
Charm, for a start. Wayne was charming in a quirky sort of way. You could see how it made Cassandra fall for him. Scott Pilgrim was just wet, I can't see what Ramona saw in him. She didn't seem to see much in him from they way she acted. She seems to go out with him because she had nothing better to do. Right through until the end of the film Scott was still a wet little kid.
email, ergo spam
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

IanKennedy wrote:
Charm, for a start. Wayne was charming in a quirky sort of way. You could see how it made Cassandra fall for him. Scott Pilgrim was just wet, I can't see what Ramona saw in him. She didn't seem to see much in him from they way she acted. She seems to go out with him because she had nothing better to do. Right through until the end of the film Scott was still a wet little kid.
However, she knew that Scott could have simply turned away after the first evil ex, and simply walk of and go back with Knives. (All right, she didn't knew about Knives at the time)

But he didn't. He sticked with it and showed her what he was ready to risk (his life?) to date her and to deserve her. Where Wayne just acted goofy and learned to speak cantonese.

Cassandra falling for Wayne is about as shallowy explained as Ramona going to Scott, IMHO. At least, Ramona would appreciate Scott's niceness, after having dated Gideon. (Note: emotions involved much more explained in the comics)
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

SolkaTruesilver wrote: (Note: emotions involved much more explained in the comics)
I hear this said a lot about many movies with other source material. It doesn't fly. Sorry, never does. The movie has to stand on its own or not at all.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Tyyr wrote:
SolkaTruesilver wrote: (Note: emotions involved much more explained in the comics)
I hear this said a lot about many movies with other source material. It doesn't fly. Sorry, never does. The movie has to stand on its own or not at all.
Except that, you know, if the comic is the original medium, which they had to condense into the movie.

IMHO, the movie stands on it's own. It's just more streamlined if you read the comic. The story isn't exactly the same between the two, as there have been adaptation of stuff that weren't originally in the comic, since the movie medium is much better at, let's say, music and flashy combats.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I can't speak for what SP didn't have, but for me, Wayne's World had a bit of charm, could poke fun at itself, had a great soundtrack and was able to successfully expand an SNL skit and make Wayne and Garth three-dimensional characters.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

SolkaTruesilver wrote:Except that, you know, if the comic is the original medium, which they had to condense into the movie.
Except that, you know, they don't pass out copies of the comic before the movie and give you a few hours to read it before hand.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

SolkaTruesilver wrote:Except that, you know, if the comic is the original medium, which they had to condense into the movie.
To further Tyyr's point, I assume this means that the troops of the film Starship Troopers demonstrated full-coverage body armour, sound tactics and an absolute commitment to the principle of "no man left behind"? :roll:
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

A movie must stand or fall on its own merits. I have little desire to have to go to supplementary material to enjoy something.