New Computer

USSEnterprise
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Re: New Computer

Post by USSEnterprise »

The GTX 460 is an awesome card. It uses a completely different core design than the 465,470 and the 480 which runs a lot cooler and uses less power. Its been shown that 2 460's in SLI actually outperform 2 5870's in CF even if they are less than half the price.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Ok, I finalized what I am buying, and bought it.

Processor: Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz A nice solid i7 processor with all the goodness that entails but without the expense of the 900 series. I don't need the ridiculous amounts of RAM that would make a triple channel 900 series worth it.
Motherboard: ASUS P7P55 LX LGA 1156 Intel ATX It's not the absolute top of the line, no USB 3.0, eSATA, or SATA 6 Gb/s. That said, I don't own any USB 3.0 or eSATA devices at the moment and will have expansion slots available. I am not getting an SSD that could actually make use of the SATA 3.0 spec either.
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1333 This should keep me fat and happy on RAM for a while and still leave two slots open for the future.
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 460 Good company, great card, and it's overclocked out of the box. Hell, the fan even exhausts rather than intakes. The thing is top of the line at mid range card prices. Kickass.
Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Love this thing, 3 230mm fans and one 140mm right out of the box. Lots of space, lots of airflow, and even has four USB connections right up high on the front.
PSU: XFX 750W Modular Power Supply Great reviews, plenty big, and its modular to boot.
CPU Cooler: XIGMATEK 120mm Yeah it's a big fat cooler but I'm only loading in two sticks of RAM for the moment.
Hard Drive: SAMSUNG 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/sA full terabyte. I wasn't in danger of filling up my old pair of 250 GB drives so I should be ok for a while, especially since I'm putting those two older drives in as well.
TV Tuner: Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 1850 Why buy a 24in TV when I've already got a 24in monitor?

I also got a DVD burner, some red cold cathodes, and other odds and ends but that's the bulk of it. Quite a bit different my initial choices but the 800 series i7s are way down in price.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Huh. Mine's got a screen, a keyboard, a mouse (with a laser!), and a big piece where the DVD's go in.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

That is a nice machine. Shouldn't have a problem for years.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I was just looking at that list again. I think "G. Skill Ripjaws" and "Cooler Master" was a hip-hop duo from my hometown.
as Bull offed Custer
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Yeah, Stitch got it right, it'll last you at least five years nukes things drastically jump up, which they probably will...
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Well in a year or two I may be swapping out mobo's for one with USB 3.0 and SATA 3.0.

Total for the whole thing was $1,300, $1,200 if you don't need a TV tuner card. No operating system on it and some assembly required.

And it's all shipped and in transit to Florida. Fingers crossed I can get the stuff tomorrow. I've got the free time to put it together this weekend while I'm painting.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

The NEWEGG stuff should be there soon enough, their always really speedy with their stuff for me at least.
The world ended

Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Well like a chump I paid the extra $3 to make sure it shipped yesterday. I REALLY want it here tomorrow.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

An extra 3 bucks isn't bad at all for expidite shipping, it's pretty decent actually, considering that usually they want you to pay like 15 or 20 bucks for it.
The world ended

Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I didn't think it was too bad, and it was the only real chance I had of getting it all this weekend.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

And Daddy's baby has finally been delivered to his door step. I know what I'm doing tonight.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Remember to wear a rubber...

...set of gloves.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Tyyr wrote:And Daddy's baby has finally been delivered to his door step. I know what I'm doing tonight.
There are so many wrong ways to read that.
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

You wouldn't be wrong.