Inferno's Light question

Deep Space Nine
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Inferno's Light question

Post by Deepcrush »

Well, it was something to do with and massive energy burst technobabble which would overload the gateway and cause it to go boom. After the Founder messed with the station they said they couldn't produce the power required because they ended up improving the entrance rather then crushing it. However... just in my opinion... I'm betting the Bajoran Sun going nova would do the trick.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

Deepcrush wrote:Well, it was something to do with and massive energy burst technobabble which would overload the gateway and cause it to go boom. After the Founder messed with the station they said they couldn't produce the power required because they ended up improving the entrance rather then crushing it. However... just in my opinion... I'm betting the Bajoran Sun going nova would do the trick.
Does it simply takes an "energy burst", or is took effective technobabble explosion, with Chronamiation Radiation exposed at the same time?

But my guess would be, the Founder probably were counting on the WH to resist the supernovae. Otherwise, why would they strand themselves?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

SolkaTruesilver wrote:Does it simply takes an "energy burst"
Yes. Dax expected runabout-scale PTs to be enough in "The Search".
But my guess would be, the Founder probably were counting on the WH to resist the supernovae. Otherwise, why would they strand themselves?
It's highly unlikely that it could have withstood the nova before the events of the episode. The Changeling's sabotage of the effort to collapse the wormhole was extremely complicated, in that it ended up strengthening it. This may have been necessary in order to allow the wormhole to withstand the subsequent nova - note that O'Brien stated that "not even trilithium explosives" would be sufficient to collapse the strengthened wormhole. Given that the Changeling later intended to use trilithium to blow up the sun, I suspect that this was the reason for such complicated sabotage, rather than simply blowing up either the the array or the whole station.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Captain Seafort wrote:It's highly unlikely that it could have withstood the nova before the events of the episode. The Changeling's sabotage of the effort to collapse the wormhole was extremely complicated, in that it ended up strengthening it. This may have been necessary in order to allow the wormhole to withstand the subsequent nova - note that O'Brien stated that "not even trilithium explosives" would be sufficient to collapse the strengthened wormhole. Given that the Changeling later intended to use trilithium to blow up the sun, I suspect that this was the reason for such complicated sabotage, rather than simply blowing up either the the array or the whole station.
That was the point I was trying to make at the beginning of the thread. In anycase, if the Dominion were going to seal the wormhole, they could have just done it from their end.

Come to think of it, why didn't the Federation try and destroy it from the other side, after the sabotage?
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

kostmayer wrote: That was the point I was trying to make at the beginning of the thread. In anycase, if the Dominion were going to seal the wormhole, they could have just done it from their end.

Come to think of it, why didn't the Federation try and destroy it from the other side, after the sabotage?
The whole wormhole was now unclosable?

Just a wild guess.

And.. well, maybe whomever sent to seal the wormhole would have been condemned into being a Voyager by himself, no?

Hell, when you think about it. Make a new serie, Voyager II. This time, Janeway blows up the GQ's end of the wormhole to prevent an invading force from coming into the Federation. It makes a lot more sense, and it makes her a lot less stupid to strand her crew that far from the Federation, as for now, she had genuine good reasons.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

There's no star on the other side to use. Also if the Founders could take out the fleet at Bajor/seal the wormhole and still install fear, then their overall objective would still be complete. Removing the risk of the AQ powers from their home space.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Deepcrush wrote:There's no star on the other side to use. Also if the Founders could take out the fleet at Bajor/seal the wormhole and still install fear, then their overall objective would still be complete. Removing the risk of the AQ powers from their home space.
If the GQ side of the Wormhole hadn't been affected by the Technobabble sabotage, you don't need a star to seal it
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Issue is they said the Wormhole, not the WH entrance IIRC. So its safer to assume that it was the whole of the WH that was effected or Sisko would have just closed the other side.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Deepcrush wrote:Issue is they said the Wormhole, not the WH entrance IIRC. So its safer to assume that it was the whole of the WH that was effected or Sisko would have just closed the other side.
You can't just close the other side without being stranded there, can't you? That was the point of my post making jokes about Voyager II
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

It'd be worth one ship being stranded to save the Alpha Quadrant wouldn't it?
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Hell, an egg timer would work just fine so that you wouldn't have to leave a ship behind.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

kostmayer wrote:It'd be worth one ship being stranded to save the Alpha Quadrant wouldn't it?
Definetly.

However, I don't think Starfleet has the balls to make that kind of decision.

But if you look at it this way, what if it had been the Borg instead of the Kazon who were about to seize the Caretaker array. Would Janeway's decision been a better one?

If the Kazon had seized the Caretaker array, would the Borg have finally deemed them worthy of assimilation, let alone to capture that technology?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Deepcrush wrote:Hell, an egg timer would work just fine so that you wouldn't have to leave a ship behind.
A timer? Come on Deep, be realistic, this is Starfleet we're talking about.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Deepcrush wrote:Hell, an egg timer would work just fine so that you wouldn't have to leave a ship behind.
No, this is Sisko and O'Brian we're talking about.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Captain Seafort wrote:
Indeed. They would probably have used a holographic re-creation of a volatile compound to set the time, but such hologram would have gained sentience within the first 20 minutes of the relevant episode, and the crew would have had to struggle with the morality of sacrificing a sentient being to save the Federation.