To the true nerds

Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: To the true nerds

Post by Nickswitz »

Yeah, I saw that on my truly nerdy forum I go to as well as a few other sites. I find it plausible, and then they can blame AT&T for bad coverage again, like they have with every iPhone since the first one.

As much as I like Apple, I think they are at fault here, and are truly just covering their ass and cutting their losses.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Right - AT&T rovides the coverage, but it's the hardware that incorrectly interprets the signal strength.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Plus they even stated that the issue with signal strength is a code sequence thats been buried in iPhone software since the original, meaning the problems actually been knocking around (although maybe not as visible now) since 2007.

Having read a review on GSMarena who I trust implicitly since they do a lot of hardware as well as software tests, they've hit it nail on. There is no superior, all the top end smartphones really have equal status because of their software. iPhones are an experience, they are a luxury item with a lot of power but they are still severely limited by Apple's refusal to outsource. They also miss on things like flash. Android phones like the Galaxy S or the Desire (my baby) have fantastic screens roughly comparable to iPhones (less pixels, but bigger size and possibly better colour reproduction), plus they have a truly open approach to applications and software. They are the epitome of customization, something the iPhone has lacked ever since its conception.

Really, its a case of each to their own. And then, its a case of how the hell am I going to pay for this!

And Mikey, the HTC incredible at Verizon should have HTC sync software included to allow you to sync to Outlook.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I may just wait for WinPhone 7 at this point.
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

If you're a windows faithful, it might be wise. However, I will say since Microsoft has severly limited the specifications of winmo 7 phones (as in limited them to incredibly powerful AND big phones) it will cost a lot.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Thanks for the tip. Even so, when 7 comes out the $200 6.1 phones can probably be gotten for $50.
as Bull offed Custer
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Yeah, but when you get those 6.5 phones they will have 0 kinds of support, except people like us, but you won't get any Microsoft support, not that that means much, but just thought I would point that out.
The world ended

Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I doubt the Phone sync software for win 7 will work properly first go anyway.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Yeah, probably as well as phone sync for WinMo 6, 6.5, etc worked, as long as you had at least five years of electronics training and software engineer, you may be able to do it. They never seemed to work as expected and that was if they even worked at all.

And about the Incredible, you wont be able to get it for a while as Samsung ran out of AMOLED screens for it. And even so, I agree with Reliant, if your faithful to Windows, go with Window, for the most part it'll be what your used to.
The world ended

Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Problem with win 6/6.5 was that it was so shit in the first place. the manufacturers have to put their own software on a lot of it, which makes conflicts. HTC do a good job, but its still not perfect. Samsung make it pretty, but its god awful slow.
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

I have an HTC Touch for Sprint and it's getting old and outdated, but man I love it to death. I have been a fan of HTC since. The best feature of WinMo phones is the Skyfire browser, which supports Flash already, and is a MUCH better browser than Mobile Exploder, and IMO, better than Opera. My next phone will be the HTC Evo 4G, with a 4.3" LCD screen with 480x800 pixels, 1 GHz Snapdragon processor, 2 cameras (8mp in back, 1.3mp in front, supports video conferencing), , wi-fi, and can become a wi-fi hotspot for up to 8 devices. Now that's a cell phone! :Drool2: Poor Apple is trying to play catch-up. They're underpowered and overpriced, IMO, and the only way they have more apps available is if you're in the medical field. Android has over 80,000 apps, and 60%+ are free.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

So, to you phone junkies out there, I have a hypothetical situation (hypothetical because I can't afford a new phone now) for you: If I wanted to get a iPhone/Droid - type phone, but not the iPhone itself, and stick with AT&T what would my options be?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

The HTC Aria is a new Android phone for AT&T. It has 320x480 pixels and has a 600MHz processor, runs Android 2.1, 5mp camera, and a headset jack. If I were to get an AT&T phone but not the iPhone, this would be it.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

The Aria sounds severly outdated, I don't know how old it is, but a 600 Mhz barely runs 2.1, and theres no way the next updates will be supported.

Although not out yet, look at this one, Captivate

AT&T only seems to have sub-par Android phones due to having the iPhone.
The world ended

Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Contrary to nicks elitist thoughts :P, a 600 mhz processor will work fine with Android. The HTC Legend is very similar to the Aria (just prettier) and it works almost as quickly as my Desire.