Alpha SIM IC Thread

Moderator: BigJKU316

Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: SIM Galaxy IC Thread

Post by Deepcrush »

Nickswitz wrote:Oh, well, you can't blame a man for trying...
I can kill him for it... =the Klingon Councilman grins at the Ferengi delegate=

=Looking to the Romulan delegate=

And who do you think is going to pay the cost of such equipment and personnel? The Federation spent years, even decades installing their tachyon detection network.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

And what of nations who cannot afford the installation of such a network. The Gorn Hegemony has dealt only mildly with tachyon technology and lacks the ability to deploy such a network
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

They're right...a deployment net is a good counter-procedure, but it isn't a treaty negotiable...if it is to be done, it is something that must be developed and deployed at the cost and judgment of each power.

Here is my suggestion: Each power is not allowed to have cloaking devices on no more than 100 ships. Basic cloaking technology will be distributed to all states that sign the treaty, so that they may have their 100 ships as well. This seems to me the most effective way of setteling this issue since we can't have an outright ban.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

With respect to our honored allies. The Klingon Empire will not sign a treaty that will interfere with its combat operations. Recall that it was our ability to cloak an raid deep within enemy space that held the Dominion at bay. When conflict comes again, our warriors must have the same ability!

It is the stance of the Klingon Empire that if there is to be control over cloaking technology. Then that control must be placed on those to who we know cannot be trusted with such an advantage. If it is stability that is wanted, then the Empire will volunteer its forces to the enforcement of restrictions of cloaking technology.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

If you are referring to our past, then must I remind of your past. You cannot be trusted with weapons of any sort, for in your past, you regularly attacked Federation ships without provocation.
And if you must use Shinzon's actions as a reason for your demands, I remind you that he used a "perfect" cloak. We have no access to that technology. We don't even know who developed it. Without it, our ships must still decloak unshielded in order to fire.

As for limiting the usage of cloak, that simply cannot be. We developed the technology. We do not ask the Federation to limit the usage of quantum torpedoes, or even for them to share it.
We are removing the limits of the Treaty of Algeron simply because it is the right thing to do. Not because anyone is forcing us.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

To return to an earlier point made by the Federation, would it perhaps be easier to limit the type of ships which can use a cloaking device? Is it really necessary that every waste reclamater and cargo transport be equipped with a cloaking device? The Gorn Hegemony would be willing to entertain an agreement limiting cloaking devices to specific ship types, ie scouts, cruisers, battle-cruisers, or any other.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Well I must butt in on behalf of all of you. I have no access to this cloaking technology, nor do we want it, all it can do is hide us, which our goal is to be found. However, I think that a compromise may be to share the device information with any allies, so that they know what to look for, but your enemies will have no idea how it may work. Then regardless of the amount of ships holding them they can be detected by any of the other allies you have.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by BigJKU316 »

OOC COMMENT: A general note for all involved. For what it is worth the game assumes that everyone has some level of border detection avaliable to them. The principals of what the Federation put together during the Klingon Civil War would be well known at this point to at least those three major powers.

When your cloaked ships cross a border there is always a chance that they get caught. For the powers most directly dealing with it, ie the Feds, Klingons and Romulans, the chances are higher, for others they are lower. Call it a tachyon field or assume that the dumber powers are puttings strings on satellites. But there is always a risk.

I see these grids as being like tripwires. You can't track with them but you know something is coming. Say hypothetically a power has a 5% chance of seeing any one given ship cross its border. By itself this means you have a 95% chance of not being seen.

However by the time you get to 13 ships your chances would drop to right around 50% of not being seen. If you are moving an invasion fleet of hundreds you are going to bee seen.

Additionally if you have watched the series or served on a military ship you know that things break all the time. The chances of having something that we have seen be as flukey as cloaks (someone always fails to match a phase variance quantum gizmo somewhere) work perfectly on huge fleets for years on end are probably not that great.

So I guess the point is no one has to build a grid. You can't R&D something better for the most part, your empire will just get better the more you deal with the technology, even those that have it still rely on luck and the law of large numbers to detect incursions.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I wonder if the Romulan's mind is so far gone as to forget that the Klingon Empire and Federation were in an undeclared war for over a century. We have been at peace and even allies for a generation now. Place your twisted words elsewhere Romulan. You'll find no pity for it here!

Klingon trust in weapons has been proven in history. We will stand by our allies and stand over our enemies!
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

The problem is your enemies change at a whim.

And must I remind you of the Duras sisters, who attacked and destroyed the Federation flagship.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

They were mercenaries. Acting against the will of the government.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Yes, that is true. However, they were still Klingons.

If they want to hold us responsible for past actions under a different government which may or may not have been sanctioned, then they should be held just as responsible for the past unsanctioned actions of their people.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

House of Duras was funded in treason by the Romulan Empire. Which used cloaked ships to supply a civil war! If you would wish to bring that part of history up again. Remember that we still haven't thanked you in our own way for your interest in our affairs! House Duras is dead, along with its traitor allies and the Romulan spies that were with them.

Those actions you speak of, were the work of the Romulan Empire. Not that of the Klingon Empire, and everyone present knows it. The Arbiter Picard exposed your ships and helped rebalance the Empire. The last act of his flagship was to defeat the Duras traitors in glorious battle and forever purge the Empire of their dishonor! It is a debt, we can not repay.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Those actions were not the work of our empire, as you claim. They were the work of Commander Sela, acting outside of her authority. And she was punished for it.

And this debt to the Federation, was it an attempt to repay it when you attacked Deep Space Station 9 with an armada?
You change your minds so frequently on the matter of your enemies, you couldn't be trusted with a tribble.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

Gentlemen please!

I can see nothing is getting done here. We cannot even agree on a plan of attack, let a lone the actual solution. We have now fallen to arguing and accusations. I propose that if we have any interest we call a second conference in a year to discuss any new ideas, if there are no objections.

::Federation Party moves to stand from the table::

==Well we can't seem to agree on anything, so we'll call an end to it....Stitch, Deep if either of you want to try where I failed, please feel free to start your own conference, the Federation will be sure to attend==