The End of Time [Spoilers]

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: The End of Time [Spoilers]

Post by Captain Seafort »

GrahamKennedy wrote:I suspect that what happened was that in the beginning they thought "We're doing all new Who here, we want to clearly separate ourselves from the old series. So we won't use the Daleks, and we won't have the Time Lords. Let's say they wiped one another out." Then they couldn't resist introducing just one Dalek, as a big uber bad. They probably intended to leave it at that, I'd guess.

Unfortunately the episode Dalek proved to be both brilliantly made and wildly popular. So they just had to keep bringing them back...
I doubt it. The Daleks are as much part of DW as the Tardis - I don't see how a new series could leave them out. Moreover, given the way the series are filmed, the whole of series 27 was completed before "Rose" was broadcast, so the entire culminating story of the Emperor's return would have been part of it from the start.

Their return in the series after I can agree with being due to their early success, especially after Doomsday was so good.
The trouble is that the Daleks are too powerful to have around. They've been established as a force that can take on the Time Lords and win, or at least not get instantly stomped flat. Given that the Time Lords are the next best thing to GODS, it makes the Daleks too badass to have around as an ongoing enemy. They'd just wipe everyone else out.
Nitpick: describing the Time Lords as equal, or slightly inferior, to gods is probably underestimating them. One of the novels specifically stated that "most races pray to lesser beings than the Time Lords.

Overall, the problem isn't with individual Daleks, which can be taken down with fairly primitive technology. Jack managed to jury-rig an effective weapon from a couple of wrecked 2001st century robots. Their ships aren't anything spectacular either - the shield the Doctor rigged from the interstellar surfboard built by a single, stranded member of a low-level species was effective against the weapons of the Emperor's flagship. The solution is to restrict the big stories to species and time periods with the firepower to take them on. They shouldn't be using early 21st century Earth so much anyway.

The big problem is their access to the Time Vortex, which was evidently the key battlefield of the war. The problem is made even worse by the fact that they've miniaturised the technology enough to install it in individual casings. However they've had time travel in various forms since Hartnell was the Doctor, and were repeatedly defeated despite that. The problem is restoring them without setting off the Time War all over again, and cutting back their time-travel abilities sufficiently to prevent them sending fleets against arbitrary points in space-time, but not so much that the Time Lords would promptly stomp them flat.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: The End of Time [Spoilers]

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

kostmayer wrote:Aye, but that episode was so brilliant because there was only one Dalek. And it was enough to make the Doctor fill his pants.

They should stick to creating new storylines. Such as finding themselves stranded on an alien planetice world, only to discover that this time they actually are in a quarry in Wales. Antarctica in a second Stargate.
I'd watch it. :lol: