Picard's Worst Command Decisions

The Next Generation
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Re: Picard's Worst Command Decisions

Post by kostmayer »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:5) Not locking Maxwell in the brig when they first caught up with him ("The Wounded")
Thats one ship that could have done with Troi's services. A man in Maxwells state of mind should never have been left in command of a Starship. I would assume that Captains of Submarines carrying Nuclear weapons are required to have psychological examinations - wouldn't Starship Captains require them as well?
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

kostmayer wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:5) Not locking Maxwell in the brig when they first caught up with him ("The Wounded")
Thats one ship that could have done with Troi's services. A man in Maxwells state of mind should never have been left in command of a Starship. I would assume that Captains of Submarines carrying Nuclear weapons are required to have psychological examinations - wouldn't Starship Captains require them as well?
The thing of it is. When a commanding officer who is respected and or loved by his personnel goes off the hilt. Often enough, those personnel will gladly follow him out of loyalty. Misguided or not, its the way of the warrior.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

I have wondered why his first officer didn't intervene. Did he agree with Maxwell, or did he think Maxwell was acting on Starfleet orders (the Admiral breifing Picard did say the ship had gone silent). How much does "I was just obeying orders" excuse you from?
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

kostmayer wrote:I have wondered why his first officer didn't intervene. Did he agree with Maxwell, or did he think Maxwell was acting on Starfleet orders (the Admiral breifing Picard did say the ship had gone silent). How much does "I was just obeying orders" excuse you from?
Likely options are of two. Either the first officer didn't know and believe the action was under UFP approval. Or he didn't care and he agreed and there for followed his captain in a mission most likely thought to be a one way trip.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

I wonder if his fate ever was explored in one of the novels given that altough Maxwell acted on hearsay and rumours he was actually right. I wonder if they let him off the hook during the dominion war.

As for Picard allowing him to return on his own, altough a bad decision in hindsight, I think it is not so preposterous as some might think it is. True his actions were horrible etc. but I never had the feeling that he was a nutjob. (And I must admit I am guilty of enjoying a federation ship kicking cardassian butt even though it happened only with dots on a screen :oops: )
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

lol i miss the real deep, not this civil mild mannered filing clerk of an imposter :-p
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Lt. Staplic wrote:because there were Borg there in the 22nd Century in any timeline
This is what I'm objecting to. Without the attacks of BoBW and FC (the latter in particular) there wouldn't have been any Borg on Earth in the 22nd century.
Another example supporting the theory of an alternate timeline..........maybe leading to the Abramsverse (see ENT thread for details)
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Mark wrote:
Captain Seafort wrote:
Lt. Staplic wrote:because there were Borg there in the 22nd Century in any timeline
This is what I'm objecting to. Without the attacks of BoBW and FC (the latter in particular) there wouldn't have been any Borg on Earth in the 22nd century.
Another example supporting the theory of an alternate timeline..........maybe leading to the Abramsverse (see ENT thread for details)
Or is the presence of borg in the 22nd century the cause of BoBW and FC? Also, weren't the Borg already scooping up border outposts? So the Borg were already at least aware there were civilizations in the area.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

Captain Seafort wrote:
We don't know that....it could be an unavoidable eventuality of the conflict. Eventually the Federation and the Borg would have become aware of each other, in fact there's evidence that the Borg knew of the Federation before "Q Who" which would have eventually led to the continued conflict between the Borg and the Federation that could lead to the events of FC just at a later date...
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

All right, no new ones. If no one has any new ones, I'll be sending the list in Thursday night. Keep on discussing, though.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Granitehewer wrote:lol i miss the real deep, not this civil mild mannered filing clerk of an imposter :-p
Say something stupid and I'll kick your ass back to the stone age. :wave:
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The Borg/UFP conflict ended up being for the best.

It put Sisko in place at DS9, opened up for the advancement and upgrade of the SF, the designing of the Defiant Class and put the UFP on notice that it couldn't sit on its hands anymore.
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Sonic Glitch wrote:Or is the presence of borg in the 22nd century the cause of BoBW and FC? Also, weren't the Borg already scooping up border outposts? So the Borg were already at least aware there were civilizations in the area.
In the manner of a biologist taking samples, yes. The Borg just sent a ship there to analyze local biological and technological distintiveness, then move on to the next project. They recorded the data, saw nothing of note, and left.

Later on, they detected a ship based on one of those technologies that had managed to travel an obscene distance using an unknown star drive. They analyzed the ship, found no technology that could simulate the drive, and then the ship left. This intrigued the Borg, so they sent another probe. This probe was destroyed by a program flaw, so the Borg refitted their ships, and sent a second, with a Queen assigned to it. This one apparently was destroyed by large amounts of firepower, but the Sphere was jettisoned. Contact with the Sphere was lost after it initiated time travel (this is the older timeline, before First Contact).

In the old timeline, the Borg is likely to send more ships next time, until it has learned all the data about the stardrive used (aka Q snapping his fingers), then leave. If it suffers damage, it will merely stop the damage (destroy attacking ships), and utilize available raw materials to replace losses (assimilate).
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

kostmayer wrote:When someone like Worf tells you to abandon ship rather then stand and fight, it means its time to leave.
Oh yeah, i would do that. BTW i love that sequence.
Coalition wrote:This intrigued the Borg, so they sent another probe. This probe was destroyed by a program flaw, so the Borg refitted their ships, and sent a second, with a Queen assigned to it.
That's some probe.
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

I will take not releasing Hugh with the anti-Borg virus in "I, Borg" and going alone to the Scimitar in "Nemesis".

About hailing the dyson's sphere, come on, that's his job. :poke:
Of course you could send a probe but then we wouldn't have any Star Trek, wouldn't we?
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!