Starfleet response time

The Next Generation
steamrunner
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Re: Starfleet response time

Post by steamrunner »

I would use older ships (i.e. Mirandas and Excelsiors) for the outlying patrol areas and use newer, more powerful ships for core world/hot spot duty...
"If? If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle..."
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

steamrunner wrote:I would use older ships (i.e. Mirandas and Excelsiors) for the outlying patrol areas and use newer, more powerful ships for core world/hot spot duty...
Absolutely makes sense, and we see it in the E.U., but then the fleet is spread pretty thin after all the Dominion then Borg stuff...
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Yep, they need to kick up production a notch.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Meh. They were able to muster a fairly sizeable fleet around Earth with little to no warning time in the last episode of VOY. They seem to be getting their act together.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Well, slip the jab enough times to a boxer and he either learns to keep his guard up, or he gets knocked the fuck out :mrgreen:
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Meh. Half of those were captains who burned their warp cores out trying to blockade Janeway from returning.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
steamrunner
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by steamrunner »

:laughroll:
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

"Oh shit, it's Janeway! Scramble the fleet!"
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

"Damn, it's her again. Why couldn't she STAY on that side of the galaxy?"
JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by JudgeKing »

Mark wrote:"Damn, it's her again. Why couldn't she STAY on that side of the galaxy?"
"Don't worry, we can court martial her once she arrives."
There is not a problem in this world that can't be solved without the proper application of a sufficient number of thermonuclear ordnance.
steamrunner
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by steamrunner »

JudgeKing wrote:
Mark wrote:"Damn, it's her again. Why couldn't she STAY on that side of the galaxy?"
Or promote her... :roll: :bangwall: :suicide:
JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by JudgeKing »

steamrunner wrote:
JudgeKing wrote:
Or promote her... :roll: :bangwall: :suicide:
Mid 2380

"Ding dong, the witch is dead. Cause of death, falling into the sun onboard a planet sized Borg Cube." :party: :guitar: :clappy: :celebrate:
There is not a problem in this world that can't be solved without the proper application of a sufficient number of thermonuclear ordnance.
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

We don't know how pacific/pacified is UFP space, probably the space in the "center" of the federation, the older members, the core worlds is more quiet than others. Hard to imagine a pirate gang operating in the route between Earth and Vulcan. More feasible targets for pirates are distant relatively small colonies and their trade and supply routes and the routes to/from non members's space.

I think UFP have some sort of cost guard to patrol trade routes and similars, they could use SF ship clases like Miranda or Centaur and small ships like the Federation Raider.

I don't like the idea of local military (maybe cost guards but not military), every new member military should join SF, if its ships are good enough it will became part of SF too.
USSEnterprise wrote:The problem with leaving systems to have their own defense forces is what if they don't have the expertise to make such craft. The Angosian for example, were prime Federation candidates, but they didn't have any craft to catch a damn sublight transport. The Vulcans and core worlds would probably be able handle their own defenses, but other Federation worlds may not be able to.
They could buy, rent, borrow other members or SF ships. Or even ships built by private companies or others like klingon houses. Or hire private security, companies with their own personal and equipment.
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

SomosFuga wrote:if its ships are good enough it will became part of SF too.
I would agree with this, but the limited evidence contradicts it. In TNG: "Unification," we saw Vulcan ships - they patently followed a design aesthetic which was unlike anything in Starfleet.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

There's also the fact that Starfleet vessels may simply be unsuited to the task required. We've not seen any short-range patrol ships among the fleets so far.