Captain Data

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Re: Captain Data

Post by thelordharry »

steamrunner wrote:Well, I guess everyone doesn't age as gracefully as, say, William Shatner... :shock:
Or Robert Picardo. I reckon if you compare a picture of him today to say, 15 years ago, there would be little difference. Perhaps he really IS a hologram! :)
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and
the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to
know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is
to have succeeded.”
Black Jesus
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Black Jesus »

How was Data's death cheap? Are you comparing it to Spock's death in ST: II and that they are too similar? Or is there some other sort of grip?
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Data's death is cheap because of how utterly pointless and contrived it was. There was no reason for him to die.

1) Picard shouldn't have gone solo. A dozen guys with phaser rifles would have made much more sense.
2) He didn't have to stay behind and shoot the generator, just overload the phaser and leave.

He died for no other reason than to have a main cast member kick the bucket and try to add some emotional weight to an awful movie.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Not to mention the idiocy of jumping through space, ignoring the fact that the shuttle transporters would have been working fine.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Well, that doesn't tie directly to his death, it's just stupid in its own right. :lol:
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

People, please. Let's not get into discussing NEM's idiocy. We'll be here for a week. :P
Tyyr wrote:1) Picard shouldn't have gone solo. A dozen guys with phaser rifles would have made much more sense.
2) He didn't have to stay behind and shoot the generator, just overload the phaser and leave.
3) There's no reason Data couldn't have brought a second one of those transporter things.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

Rochey wrote: 3) There's no reason Data couldn't have brought a second one of those transporter things.
Actually, a scene cut from the movie shows a few crewmen using the second last one for a really funny prank involving a Ferengi in a gorilla suit.
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and
the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to
know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is
to have succeeded.”
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Rochey wrote:People, please. Let's not get into discussing NEM's idiocy. We'll be here for a week. :P
Tyyr wrote:1) Picard shouldn't have gone solo. A dozen guys with phaser rifles would have made much more sense.
3) There's no reason Data couldn't have brought a second one of those transporter things.
From what I could tell, there was only 1. It was a prototype.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

I didn't care much for watching Picard take out half of Shinzons troops single handedly - it was much more satisfying watching him pick them off one at a time in a battle of wills in Starship Mine. Guess its akin to the difference between Die Hard 1 and 2 - cat and mouse versus all out action.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Phaser on overload and a shuttle transporter... done and done.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

A fucking assault team with explosives, more like.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Rochey wrote:A f***ing assault team with explosives, more like.
Precisely. The second Picard insisted on going alone the bridge crew should have let him, and immediately send over a double dozen phaser rifle armed red shirts.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Tyyr wrote:
Rochey wrote:A f***ing assault team with explosives, more like.
Precisely. The second Picard insisted on going alone the bridge crew should have let him, and immediately send over a double dozen phaser rifle armed red shirts.
Psst! Transporters were fried!
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Psst, how many shuttles do they have?
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Tyyr wrote:Psst, how many shuttles do they have?
You can shoot at shuttles...