Your Rear has an Admiral

Discuss the site here - suggestions, comments, complaints, etc.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Your Rear has an Admiral

Post by Mikey »

A few minutes behind with the Fat Bastard jokes, dude.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Nickswitz wrote:In what?
In what he is. Think about what you are saying. If you substitute the word fat with black or gay, now what do you think?
email, ergo spam
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I don't see how that works. Black people, to use one part of your example, can show pride in their heritage but rarely do I see them exposing themselves in order to convince people that they're black.
as Bull offed Custer
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Mikey wrote:I don't see how that works. Black people, to use one part of your example, can show pride in their heritage but rarely do I see them exposing themselves in order to convince people that they're black.
and yet if it was a scantily clad woman with a good figure you wouldn't be complaining and calling her a skinny bastard, would you?
email, ergo spam
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

No, I'd call her a skinny bitch.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Tyyr wrote:No, I'd call her a skinny bitch.
I seriously doubt it, I haven't seen anyone complaining about the SF Babes thread. All the shit here is because he's fat, not because of what he's wearing or how he's dancing. Basically you all think it's fine to poke fun at him and hurl insults his way because of his weight. Frankly I'm disgusted, but not the least bit surprised.
email, ergo spam
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

In that particular instance I was actually poking fun at the fact that I wouldn't refer to a female as a bastard.

And actually I was poking fun at him for all of the above, not just his weight.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

As I say what about those gay bastards... doesn't seem as much fun does it.
email, ergo spam
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Beg your pardon, but the "Fat Bastard" jokes referenced the eponymous movie character. Any jokes directed at the dancing gentleman would be no different than jokes directed at me over my inability to put on a pound for love or money, or the size of my great big Jewish nose (air is free!,) or anything else.

If this guy were sensitive to comments about his fairly obvious obesity, I tend to doubt he would have put a mostly-nude video of himself on the interweb. I appreciate the fact that you may have never in your life made a joke about anything or anyone with a derogatory cast, but I don't see where in this thread anybody moade a value judgement about all overweight people.

*EDIT* As I'm thinking about it, Ian, I believe you put up a number of pics in the "SF Babes" thread - isn't the very fact of posting them making a value judgement about those women's appearance?
as Bull offed Custer
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Mikey wrote:Beg your pardon, but the "Fat b*****d" jokes referenced the eponymous movie character. Any jokes directed at the dancing gentleman would be no different than jokes directed at me over my inability to put on a pound for love or money, or the size of my great big Jewish nose (air is free!,) or anything else.

If this guy were sensitive to comments about his fairly obvious obesity, I tend to doubt he would have put a mostly-nude video of himself on the interweb. I appreciate the fact that you may have never in your life made a joke about anything or anyone with a derogatory cast, but I don't see where in this thread anybody moade a value judgement about all overweight people.

*EDIT* As I'm thinking about it, Ian, I believe you put up a number of pics in the "SF Babes" thread - isn't the very fact of posting them making a value judgement about those women's appearance?
Yes, and that value judgement is that I think they are attractive, I don't see anything derogatory in that. As for the Fat Bastard jokes being a reference to a character in Austin Powers, that is simply hiding behind another persons intolerance. Just because Mike Myers and his writers think it's cool to make fat jokes doesn't mean it's actually acceptable. If all that was done here was to reference a character in a movie then I wouldn't have even commented. That, however, is not what happened. For example, your own
At least he's even with us - we can't see his willie, he hasn't in years
, I don't believe that was an attempt at a factual comment, if it where it simply isn't true. Perhaps I'm over reacting, but this seems to be one of those things that it is politically correct to poke fun at people for. I've seen films were people of his build are treated very badly and it's seen as a great giggle. Austin Powers is one such example but there are plenty of others.
email, ergo spam
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

In fact, Ian, you are absolutely correct in all your assumptions save one - I poke as much, if not more, fun at myself for all sorts of things; nor do I single out the overweight as a specific target. I will be the first to proudly admit that I am completely, 110%, balls-out NOT politically correct. I will make jokes based on size (both skinny AND fat,) race, creed, faith, and anything else of which I can think. I will make fun of you for being British; of myself for being too skinny, Jewish, American, married, middle-class white suburban, etc.

If I offend you for not subscribing to the model of PC-ness that's become so popular, then I apologize; the idea of me making jokes isn't to offend, it is to make jokes. Perhaps I long in vain for a time when the bulk of the world's populace wasn't actively searching for something to get upset about.
IanKennedy wrote:Yes, and that value judgement is that I think they are attractive, I don't see anything derogatory in that.
This is a smokescreen. The point is that a value judgement is being made; and the further point isn't whether you see it as derogatory, but rather how the subject sees it. Many women do, in fact, see being treated as a sex object as derogatory.
IanKennedy wrote:As for the Fat b*****d jokes being a reference to a character in Austin Powers, that is simply hiding behind another persons intolerance.
No, it's a fact. I never said that the intent is any different because there was a pop-culture reference behind it, just that there was such a reference.
IanKennedy wrote:I don't believe that was an attempt at a factual comment
Good catch.
IanKennedy wrote:this seems to be one of those things that it is politically correct to poke fun at people for.
Nope - it's as politically incorrect as the whole slew of other insensitive things I say. I fully recognize that. I'm just sick and tired of the pervading environment that encourages people to be more thin-skinned than they would normally be, simply for the sake of having something about which to complain.
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I find myself in agreement with Mikey.
Mikey wrote:
IanKennedy wrote:Yes, and that value judgement is that I think they are attractive, I don't see anything derogatory in that.
This is a smokescreen. The point is that a value judgement is being made; and the further point isn't whether you see it as derogatory, but rather how the subject sees it. Many women do, in fact, see being treated as a sex object as derogatory.
This is a fairly important point. Regardless of the judgment, positive or negative, it's still a judgment based on physical appearance.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Further, I'd point out that I wouldn't start making fun of this guy on the street. It seems clear that he wasn't coerced into dancing in a G-string, recording it, and posting it on the interweb. A fine distinction, perhaps, but an important one.
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

The idea that the guy did that for any other reason but a laugh is... well, laughable. Fat pride? Yeah sure I know a few chubby people who are perfectly happy with their appearance and good on them.

But if someone of that size, dresses in that form of clothing and does THAT sort of dance, he is obviously not doing it for any other reason than for a laugh and for other enjoyment as well since he obviously taped it. I would laugh at anyone who does a rediculous dance like that, especially if they dress like that. Add the fact that that dance made him jiggle, well it amusing. Just like the guy in the video no doubt intended it to be.

If anything it shows a great deal of self respect to do something that is obviously going to be laughed at and still do it.

Like Mikey said, we make fun of everyone and get made fun of ourselves, its called humor and most people can just have a laugh. I used to work with a Dwarf who used to dress up as a leprecon for his mates birthdays and run around going "dedeledededele potatos", everyone laughed at him, he laughed. Is that mean? Hell no.

This is the exact same situation.

Someone did something to draw attention to a physical aspect of themselves in a humerous way. People laugh. Shocking.

My friends give me shit for being overly hairly, I still get "teenwolf" jokes even though its been a few years since I was one. At dress up parties I've gone with a wolfs head and topless for a laugh. Again same situation. How could I care if people laugh if I brought it on myself?

Now if this guy was dress normally and just walking down the street and someone was abusing him... yeah that not on. Just like it wouldnt be right for anyone else. But this is not that situation.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

He really said "dededelede potatoes?" Wow - Irish joke AND little person joke, all at one great low price!
as Bull offed Custer