NX Class

Enterprise
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I think Humans would have had access to other species tech and designs and put it together in their own design for Starfleet.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

When it comes down to it i think the same people who write for ST also write for scooby-doo!
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Deepcrush wrote:When it comes down to it i think the same people who write for ST also write for scooby-doo!
This the third thread you said that in? :P

I thought of a parallel to another sci-fi universe with Polorized Hull Plating may not be actually polorizing hull plating. In Star Wars turolasers aren't actually lasers but plasma weapons. Maybe the Polorized Hull plating follows the same logic?
Enkidu
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Enkidu »

The Starfleet museum, a website that most of you are probably familiar with tackles the different races issues, with different design teams and philosophies producing rival designs for the same Starfleet ship requirement. His (the author, whose name I forget) designs for Andoran designed pre TOS vessels, would suggest that the Sabre is Andoran, and the Steamrunner and Defiant have an Andoran influence. Of course, his work is non canon, and in many cases directly contradicts Enterprise. The old FASA ST war game, also non canon, also has similar back stories to some of it's designs. Ironically, the most iconic Andoran vessel class in thier vision of the ST universe, the Loknar, resembles the NX and Akira.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Rochey wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:The Daedalus-class has never been seen onscreen except for a small model on Sisko's desk which might be how that ship looks. It was used in the Chronology which is quasi-canon, but we have never seen any images of the Daedalus in canon.
I believe we saw them in TOS. Although I may be wrong. The fact remains it looks completely out of place for a TOS style ship, and these ships are supposed to be the predecessors for TOS ships.
And it is Starfleet.
So? 22nd century Starfleet =/= 24th century Starfleet.
They shouldn't have any similarities besides the name and rank structure.
And the NX was the first warp-five vessel, not the first exploratory ship, IIRC.
You're right. That should read "the first deep space exploration vessel".
The point remains they should still be mostly ignorant of what shape is best.
It's not pathetic.
Like I said, it has every design flaw Starfleet ever thought up and adds a few new ones. I'd call that pathetic.
It's simple, clean and a fundamental distillation of Starfleet design to the basics.
Except it shouldn't look like a Starfleet ship at all. Why the hell does it look like an Akira, a ship that wont be invented for another two hundred years. What happened to Starfleets sleek designs during TOS? They shouldn't be sleek at all back then. They should be modular and primitive looking.

And congrats Mikey!
The Daedalus was never mentioned in TOS. At all. The Horizon has been quasi-retconned into being one. Maybe another one.

And yeah, thanks. The first-deep space exploration vessel. I'm not sure about 'shape'. It's a simple saucer. And no engineering section 'morphed in' for lack of a better term.

What are these 'design flaws', btw? ANd Akira? Well... Connies, Excelsoirs, Ambassadors, Galaxies and Sovvies all have the same basic design. And the Nebula's the 24th century's Miranda.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

The Daedalus was never mentioned in TOS. At all. The Horizon has been quasi-retconned into being one. Maybe another one.
Very well, but the point still stands that ENT ships look nothing like they should. Which is more a primitive version of TOS era ships.
And yeah, thanks. The first-deep space exploration vessel. I'm not sure about 'shape'. It's a simple saucer. And no engineering section 'morphed in' for lack of a better term
Except, why would they make a saucer? Why would they put the nacelles on massive pylons? Why would they situate the bridge out in the open? Why would they make it so thin? There is no reason for any of these, and some of these features are just plain idiotic.
Simply, why do they seem to know all about warp mechanics when they shouldn't have a clue about them?

What are these 'design flaws', btw?
I listed a few above, but simply go into any thread about any starship on this forum and you'll see me voice my many complaints.
ANd Akira?
Yes, an upside down Akira. Whose design they somehow forgot about during TOS, and brought back during TNG.
Well... Connies, Excelsoirs, Ambassadors, Galaxies and Sovvies all have the same basic design.
Yes, after a progresion of almost a century! As I said, we should see primitive versions of TOS ships, not a 24th century ship turned upside down.
And the Nebula's the 24th century's Miranda.
Er, what was your point here? :?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Hre's my take on how the NX-class COULD be made to make sense from an evolutionary design standpoint:

NX-class is more or less contemporary with designs such as the Daedalus (I know, but we can at least get a basic configuration from what we've seen!), Conestoga, etc. In the next generation (no pun intended) of starship design, engineers combined the best design features from all previous models - perhaps the saucer-type primary hull works better than the rounded/spherical one, but Daedalus-type design benefitted from having a separate engineering hull, yadda yadda yadda.

Finally in the 24th century, miniaturization, metallurgy, and other technological advances allowed Starfleet to field a ship like the Akira-class; which looks superficially like the NX, but doesn't require the synthesis of design that led to TOS era ships.

I hope I explained that well, because it seems like a logical progression. My problem is that the show SHOULD NOT require me to extrapolate like that - it should have presented a design which made sense on its own.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Hmm, good theory.
But like you said, we shouldn't need this thread at all. If fans can create excelent designs of pre-TOS ships, the people getting paid to do so have no excuse.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

You're right, Rochey... I guess lack of effort isn't really an excuse...
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Fact is they wanted to pander to as wide of an audience as possible. They choose a ship that looked cool rather than fitting the era. Thus they pissed of their main fan base... clever that.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Are we talking about Star Trek XI again? :wink:
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Except, why would they make a saucer? Why would they put the nacelles on massive pylons? Why would they situate the bridge out in the open? Why would they make it so thin? There is no reason for any of these, and some of these features are just plain idiotic.
Simply, why do they seem to know all about warp mechanics when they shouldn't have a clue about them?
Well, the saucer does connect it to TOS. Same as the bridge on top.
I listed a few above, but simply go into any thread about any starship on this forum and you'll see me voice my many complaints.
Okay, I will. And yes, I see. Although it is a primitive ship.
Yes, an upside down Akira. Whose design they somehow forgot about during TOS, and brought back during TNG.
Well, we only saw one Starfleet design in all of TOS.
Er, what was your point here?
That ship designs can be reused throughout the eras, like the Miranda and Nebula.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Well, the saucer does connect it to TOS. Same as the bridge on top.
Except there is no reason to have it that shape, we should see a ship that looks only the slightest bit like a TOS ship. And certainly not a carbon copy of a TNG ship. We should see them begin to build those types of ships for a reason, the design progressing from there. Not simply Starfleet building their first exploratory ship in a completely illogical design.
Although it is a primitive ship.
Er, sorry, could you elabourate on the point you're making?
Wrong. We saw several, the Constitution, the Miranda, the Excelsior, and a few other minor ships that apear on screen for a few seconds per episode (such as the one in 'Charlie-X'). There was nothing there that suggested the Akiraprise design was still around. And I'll point out again, why did they suddenly stop building nice, sleek ships, and go for bulky blocky ships?
That ship designs can be reused throughout the eras, like the Miranda and Nebula.
The Miranda and Nebula classes are both nearing the end of their usefull lifespan. There is only so much you can upgrade a ship until the design just isn't practical anymore. They certainly wouldn't have a ship over two hundred years old still around.
JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by JudgeKing »

My explanation: The Akira class is based off of the NX-Class. I regard everything as canon except for TatV.
DarkOmen
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkOmen »

Rochey wrote:
Wrong. We saw several, the Constitution, the Miranda, the Excelsior, and a few other minor ships that apear on screen for a few seconds per episode (such as the one in 'Charlie-X').
Well, in the actual show, all we saw was the constitution class. I think thats what he ment