What is ten forward?

The Next Generation
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Re: What is ten forward?

Post by Lazar »

LaughingCheese wrote:What are those? Did Bernd make them or are they from the Enterprise D Blueprints by Rick Sternbach? I would guess the latter?
Yes, those are slices of Sternbach's blueprints.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Lazar wrote:
LaughingCheese wrote:What are those? Did Bernd make them or are they from the Enterprise D Blueprints by Rick Sternbach? I would guess the latter?
Yes, those are slices of Sternbach's blueprints.
Ohh ok, I thought they looked way more detailed than Whitley's...
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

OKkkkkk, still ridiculous. ;) :lol:
Can't argue that.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

So, IF one was going to model the E-D, which blueprints would you use?

Whitley's or Sternbachs?

Just sayin'......;)
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

I would say Sternbach's. Sternbach's blueprints, unlike Whitefire's, are consistent with the Ten Forward set, the post-season 3 studio model (and, by extension, the Nebula), and Generations (showing the 2-story stellar cartography lab). Whitefire's are based on the obsolete studio model, and they were made at a time when we knew less about the ship's internal configuration.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Lazar wrote:I would say Sternbach's. Sternbach's blueprints, unlike Whitefire's, are consistent with the Ten Forward set, the post-season 3 studio model (and, by extension, the Nebula), and Generations (showing the 2-story stellar cartography lab). Whitefire's are based on the obsolete studio model, and they were made at a time when we knew less about the ship's internal configuration.

Ah, I was afraid you'd say that. ;)
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

LaughingCheese wrote:OKkkkkk, still ridiculous. ;) :lol:
I dunno, I always thought it was kind of a fun little detail.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Well in the Daystrom RP Monroe expressed his displeasure with Dolphin crew members by having one blown up with a Mortar...
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

LaughingCheese wrote:So, IF one was going to model the E-D, which blueprints would you use?

Whitley's or Sternbachs?

Just sayin'......;)
Weelll, honestly I think the Whitefires ones are much more fun to watch at and I do like that there are quite a few nice ideas paying homage to the fact that - let's be honest - this ship isn't a battleship but a deep space, long term exploration ship.

As to which ones are more accurate how about a different approach? The studio model changed between season 2 and 3 right?

Well I always held to be true that most of the saucer is highly adaptable and I see no reason why the internal setup couldn't also have changed over time. For example you have a huge theatre in Withefires blueprints. Once the use of the holodecks became more frequent and accepted those theatres were changed to science labs etc. The same could be true for the huge hydroponic gardens which also became less and less used due to replicators and holodecks and were gradually converted to more usefull areas.

Since one could consider the changed studio model to accomodate ten forward canon I see no reason why the E-D had a major overhaul between season 2 and 3 with changes to the internal setup.
LaughingCheese wrote:OKkkkkk, still ridiculous. ;) :lol:
Why is that? Is an intelligent species which doesn't happen to breath the excat oxygen-nitrogen mixture that alien? Thats the reason I quite liked the Benzites for instance and I find it a shame that they lost their nice little breather during DS9.
To be honest the only difference between humans and aliens in star trek seems that "we are the borg, vulcans, datas etc having not your puny human emotions....). I quite enjoy species living in a different medium.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Why is that? Is an intelligent species which doesn't happen to breath the excat oxygen-nitrogen mixture that alien? Thats the reason I quite liked the Benzites for instance and I find it a shame that they lost their nice little breather during DS9.
To be honest the only difference between humans and aliens in star trek seems that "we are the borg, vulcans, datas etc having not your puny human emotions....). I quite enjoy species living in a different medium.
The problem is that you are trying to support a long range starship. The more forms of environment you try to support the more trouble you will have. It is better just to have that life form have a ship of its own.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Deepcrush wrote:...It is better just to have that life form have a ship of its own.
I like that idea, and it is the more logical approach, but I can see the PC types crying discrimination. They do it in RL all the time, regardless of how stupid their demands are.

Take me, for example. I wanted to be a Marine; should they implement an Armored Wheelchair Corps just so I can serve?

Short answer: No.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Got that, you'd be perfect for the APCs. You won't bitch about sitting all day.

But to be real, you're right. You cant just bleed your heart. Besides, discrimination in which we build you a whole ship all to yourself. Thats not a bad thing IMO. Even the Vulcan's have ships with ONLY Vulcans serving on them.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Deepcrush wrote:Got that, you'd be perfect for the APCs. You won't bitch about sitting all day...
I'd prefer a Dreadnought, but an APC or MBT would work. :lol:

I wanted to join the MAGTF anyways.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Tsukiyumi wrote:I'd prefer a Dreadnought, but an APC or MBT would work. :lol:
To run MBT, you'd have to be pretty damn short. They got picky about that kinda thing.
Say what now?
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Deepcrush wrote:
Tsukiyumi wrote:I'd prefer a Dreadnought, but an APC or MBT would work. :lol:
To run MBT, you'd have to be pretty damn short. They got picky about that kinda thing.
What's the height limit?
Deepcrush wrote:
Say what now?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAGTF

Specifically, I wanted to fly planes for the Corps.