Specialized Galaxy Primary Hulls

The Next Generation
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Specialized Galaxy Primary Hulls

Post by Teaos »

The Delta flyer wasnt that much more advanced. It was bigger, and custom built to do a certain job, to was built more robust.

But it is nothing the Federation couldnt build themselves if they wanted.

Its like Germans build 40 million VW Bugs, doesnt mean they cant also build Mercedes.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The problem isn't that they shouldn't be able to build because of the tech. Its that they shouldn't be able to build because of the time. 2 days to build something larger and more powerful then a runabout is bullshit.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Deepcrush wrote:...2 days to build something larger and more powerful then a runabout is bullshit.
Don't forget that they also designed it in that time frame... :roll:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

To be fair the majority of it was already designed by Tom.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I never had a problem with Tom. I loved that he was the only person on the show I could count on to do what is right by him. He's a pilot so I'm not shocked that he had a dream ship in his head. Same thing about that water world that he was on. He tried to save the place even though he could have been killed in the process. It was right, so he did it.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Teaos wrote:To be fair the majority of it was already designed by Tom.
He said he'd been toying with it. Like people have pointed out before, he didn't even have a hull design yet, or a number of the basic systems...
Deepcrush wrote:I never had a problem with Tom. I loved that he was the only person on the show I could count on to do what is right by him. He's a pilot so I'm not shocked that he had a dream ship in his head. Same thing about that water world that he was on. He tried to save the place even though he could have been killed in the process. It was right, so he did it.
I also liked Tom. If only they hadn't tried to make him out as some sort of "bad boy"...
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

His being the "bad guy" made him the only "good guy" other then 7o9. Both of them constantly looked at the crew with the WTF eyes... :lol:
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Tsukiyumi wrote:He said he'd been toying with it. Like people have pointed out before, he didn't even have a hull design yet, or a number of the basic systems...
There's also the fact that Paris wasn't an engineer. He would likely have had little to no experience with actualy designing a ship that could actualy fly. I'm of the opinion he thought up the basic layout, but the rest was done by the various experts on VOY.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Deepcrush wrote:His being the "bad guy" made him the only "good guy" other then 7o9. Both of them constantly looked at the crew with the WTF eyes... :lol:
Yeah, competency is frowned upon in the Federation, I guess. :lol:
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Actually pilots usaully hold several higher degrees and are very highly educated. Considering that starfleet is similarly elite I would imagin its the same deal.

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Could a modern day pilot design a fighter jet? Nope. They're smart, yes. They have to be. That doesn't mean they know shit about aircraft engineering.

Same with Tom. Can you imagine the amount of different things he'd need to have good knowledge on to mostly design the ship?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I don't care how smart he is; designing and constructing a brand new ship (which apparently required no testing, either) in a couple of days is pure fantasy.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Actually if their degrees are in aerodynamics, aircraft engineering or any number of fields they could have a damn good crack at it, and just need the "gaps" filled in by other... much like we saw happening. Now if this pilot had been reserching this for years he could even have some basic guide lines to help the other experts get started.

The senario we saw with Tom is not that unrealistic, he had a basic design and just needed help with areas that wernt his speciality. the only BS part was the 2 day time frame.

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Teaos wrote:Actually if their degrees are in aerodynamics, aircraft engineering or any number of fields they could have a damn good crack at it, and just need the "gaps" filled in by other... much like we saw happening. Now if this pilot had been reserching this for years he could even have some basic guide lines to help the other experts get started.
Tom's degree was specificaly stated to have been in biochemistry. Not much use there.
Teaos wrote:The senario we saw with Tom is not that unrealistic, he had a basic design and just needed help with areas that wernt his speciality.
Areas that weren't his speciality? You mean like weapons, electronics, power systems, warp drive, fuel containment, nacelles, sensors, targetting systems, life support, artificial gravity, computers, control units, communications equipment, navigation systems, etc, etc, etc?

You're seriously underestimating just how much stuff you need to cram into the ship. I can buy Tom being able to design the frame of the ship, but all that stuff? Not a hope.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Rochey wrote:...I can buy Tom being able to design the frame of the ship...
And he didn't even have that. :lol: