To be, or yacht to be

The Next Generation
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: To be, or yacht to be

Post by Graham Kennedy »

When First Contact came out a lot of fans assumed that that launcher was a turret. It seemed reasonable, but we've never seen it turn, so it sure doesn't seem to be a turret in the sense of a battleship-type turret.

That tube is also unlikely to be capable of burst fire. Rapid fire, sure, but we've never seen it fire multiple torps in one shot, and it doesn't seem like the tube could be big enough to take multiple casings.

One of the things I hate most about the Sovereign is this idea of tiny torpedo tubes with no apparent space for internal mechanism. Out of universe it shows a simple lack of thought in designing the ship. In universe... well if torp tubes are so small, you could put them anywhere. No reason why a Sovereign couldn't have fifty tubes, or several hundred for that matter. :worried:
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

And somewhere a fanboy just creamed himself.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Dammit, Graham, now you've just validated the legions of wank-ships out there!
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

GrahamKennedy wrote:It seemed reasonable, but we've never seen it turn, so it sure doesn't seem to be a turret in the sense of a battleship-type turret.
Exactly what I was saying. We've only seen it turn to face a fresh "barrel" toward the same forward target (if I'm remembering the scene correctly...)
GrahamKennedy wrote:No reason why a Sovereign couldn't have fifty tubes, or several hundred for that matter.
Especially since it's 16km long... :P

There is a reason. They're not necessary, as the NEM Sov seems to have all fields of fire fairly well covered; and since we've never seen a starship carry nearly as many torps as sheer internal volume would allow, there is ostensibly some other reason for limiting the torp load-out. Therefore, having fifty tubes means you'd get roughly one or two shots per.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Mikey wrote:
GrahamKennedy wrote:It seemed reasonable, but we've never seen it turn, so it sure doesn't seem to be a turret in the sense of a battleship-type turret.
Exactly what I was saying. We've only seen it turn to face a fresh "barrel" toward the same forward target (if I'm remembering the scene correctly...)
We've never seen it turn at all that I am aware of.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

GrahamKennedy wrote:We've never seen it turn at all that I am aware of.
Yeah, if you look at the exterior detail from FC, it looks like it's a fixed tube.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

K. I thought it rotated to present a new tube for each of the four shots at the sphere in FC. Guess not.
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

A while back I traced an arc on the tube that I thought may allow it to rotate. I'll try and find that picture.

EDIT: Here we are:
Note the black area on the launcher. That's where the torps appear to come out. If the tube inside that area can rotate, we get this fire arc:
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

You wonder why they would bother since torpedoes have pretty good agility by themselves.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Maybe they did it in case heavy jamming renders torps unable to track their targets, requiring them to be fired on a straight trajectory.

Then again, that would imply forsight on behalf of Starfleet. Hmm....
m52nickerson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by m52nickerson »

Teaos wrote:You wonder why they would bother since torpedoes have pretty good agility by themselves.
Maybe quantums do not have the same level of agility as photons?
Give a man a fish he eats for a day........beat that man to death........you have an extra fish.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

m52nickerson wrote:
Teaos wrote:You wonder why they would bother since torpedoes have pretty good agility by themselves.
Maybe quantums do not have the same level of agility as photons?
Who knows? You are correct in your assertion that the true, canon-following answer about QT's is "nobody knows."
as Bull offed Custer
m52nickerson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by m52nickerson »

It could also be at torpedoes, like some missles, track targets better if fired directly at that target.

As you said, nobody knows?
Give a man a fish he eats for a day........beat that man to death........you have an extra fish.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Mikey wrote:There is a reason. They're not necessary, as the NEM Sov seems to have all fields of fire fairly well covered; and since we've never seen a starship carry nearly as many torps as sheer internal volume would allow, there is ostensibly some other reason for limiting the torp load-out. Therefore, having fifty tubes means you'd get roughly one or two shots per.
Except that your average cargo bay could hold several hundred torpedos. Aside from their non-militaristic bent there's no reason a ship the size of the Ent-E couldn't be carrying several thousand torps. If there's a reason they don't it must be some kind of technobabble. If you chose to have fifty tubes there's no reason you couldn't carry a few dozen or a hundred tops per tube.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

That's the point. For whatever reason, UFP starships don't carry even a small fraction of the number of torps that they could. So, if they won't carry the torps, why have all those extra empty barrels?
as Bull offed Custer