Grand Nagus Tain

Deep Space Nine
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Grand Nagus Tain

Post by Mikey »

The fact remains that the E-D crew scanned a Ferengi "D'Kora" class and pronounced it to be an equal of their own GCS. The problem with an assessment isn't the strength of the ship; it's that we have no conception of numbers, or whether those numbers represent a military force or a bunch of mercenary privateers.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

I'd think the Ferengi would just hire others to fight their wars for them. Pay the Breen, Tholians, or whoever.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, I can see them using mercs.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

leck was a merc/eliminator, there might be a substantial number of such ferengi manning the fleets.....
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

i like it when Picard called the marauder 'a very impressive design'...if only he'd known at that point that the crew were hapless goblins......
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Rochey wrote:Aye, I can see them using mercs.
While not canon, we did see this in the Destiny book, and it honestly makes sense. While the D'Kora is meant to be intimidating, I don't see Ferengi ground troops being to effective (To anyone about to comment on the Federation ground troops, STFU! :-P) but I do see the little guys being smart enough to know they're not effective.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

We've seen them hire non-Ferengi bodyguards/nose-twisters, so it's not much of a stretch.
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

But we've seen VERY LIMITED glimpses of Ferengi ships in combat. Just a few shots exchanges IIRC.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Was'nt one Ferengi ship capable of posing a threat to the E-D?

In any case, it's not the power of their ships that would be a problem in any war they were involved. It's their lack of unity.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Very true. Do the Ferengi even have a "military" per se? Or just random ships?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Unknown.

My personal opinion on the matter is that the Ferengi don't have a standing military per se, but instead rent out armed ships to captains who act as privateers and mercs for them.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Rochey wrote:Was'nt one Ferengi ship capable of posing a threat to the E-D?

In any case, it's not the power of their ships that would be a problem in any war they were involved. It's their lack of unity.
Indeed - in terms of firepower and mobility a D'Kora appears to be at least the equal of a GCS. The key issues would be a) how good their defences are, b) how many of them there are, and c) how good their command structure is.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Rochey wrote:Was'nt one Ferengi ship capable of posing a threat to the E-D?

Yes. The E-D crew considered a Ferengi "D'Kora" (per DITL naming,) upon first sighting, to be a credible threat. As to the military, it seems that each DaiMon either owns his vessel or operates under some sort of letter of marque, albeit extending to capitalist ventures as well as piracy.
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

That's what I was thinking of. The government rents out these ships to wealthy captains, and effectively uses them as privateers.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Yep, although vessel ownership is described as both a possibility and a goal for Ferengi. Further, it doesn't seem that the government even mandates the usage of ships - we've seen plenty of Ferengi DaiMons using their vessels for their own aims, and the only thought of retribution from the government was when the vessels were used for un-Ferengi, non-profitable goals.
as Bull offed Custer