I Hate Enterprise

Enterprise
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: I Hate Enterprise

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

No... actually, I;'d have to say they did pretty damned well with the Vulcans. They could be real asshats. T'pring, anyone?
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Or Solok. I hate that guy.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Yeah, you can't fault ENT for doing Vulcans as arrogant gits when they are arrogant gits.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I honestly never had a problem with that aspect. Vulcans are all dicks. :wink:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Oh, I never had a problem with it either. But to say ENT is somehow wrong for portraying Vulcans like that... it doesn't sit right with me.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Oh, I never had a problem with it either. But to say ENT is somehow wrong for portraying Vulcans like that... it doesn't sit right with me.
It's not that their dicks, it's that their obstructionist dicks. But after watching ENT, they were right to hold humans back.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Cpl Kendall wrote:...But after watching ENT, they were right to hold humans back.
"You aren't ready to face the dangers of the galaxy. Just look at Archer over there; he gets his ass kicked on a weekly basis..."
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Tsukiyumi wrote: "You aren't ready to face the dangers of the galaxy. Just look at Archer over there; he gets his ass kicked on a weekly basis..."
And you know...he betrayed us to our bitter enemies the Andorians because he is a racist shitpump.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Cpl Kendall wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Oh, I never had a problem with it either. But to say ENT is somehow wrong for portraying Vulcans like that... it doesn't sit right with me.
It's not that their dicks, it's that their obstructionist dicks. But after watching ENT, they were right to hold humans back.
I... fail to see the big difference between the two, to be honest. Both ENT and other ST shows have the Vulcans as condescending at best to other humanoids, bordering on supreme arrogance. It'd be right in line for them to see humanity after WW III as children.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:
I... fail to see the big difference between the two, to be honest. Both ENT and other ST shows have the Vulcans as condescending at best to other humanoids, bordering on supreme arrogance. It'd be right in line for them to see humanity after WW III as children.
Vulcan had been in space for what...1000 years before ENT? Yes they were dicks but Soval was pretty correct in his assessment of humanity (or at least Archer and his crew) because we promptly saw Archer and Co. shitting all over their allies, engage in racist behaviour, engage in piracy, piss off the Klingons, waste time and in general muck about the universe with no apparent plan or purpose to their exploring.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Telling by ENT, humans weren't much better then a bunch of pre-k anyways.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Cpl Kendall wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:
Vulcan had been in space for what...1000 years before ENT? Yes they were dicks but Soval was pretty correct in his assessment of humanity (or at least Archer and his crew) because we promptly saw Archer and Co. shitting all over their allies, engage in racist behaviour, engage in piracy, piss off the Klingons, waste time and in general muck about the universe with no apparent plan or purpose to their exploring.
I wouldn't exactly call the Vulcans allies at that point, more like... way overprotective, stifling... thingies. Piracy, yeah. Point conceded there. Although it'd be pretty damned near impossible not to piss off the Klingons back then.

Waste time? Did they have a schedule? :P Their purpose in exploring was... exploring. To see what was out there!
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

And remember that when the Vulcans first encountered us, we had just pwned ourselves in a gigantic nuclear war. I think you could say that the Vulcans took a paternalistic approach early on, as if we were a petulant child.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:
I wouldn't exactly call the Vulcans allies at that point, more like... way overprotective, stifling... thingies.
The Vulcans were supplying technical expertise, participating in offcier exchanges and fleet exercises with the Humans. Sounds like allies to me.
Piracy, yeah. Point conceded there. Although it'd be pretty damned near impossible not to piss off the Klingons back then.
Well they did specifically ask the Vulcans to return Klang.
Waste time? Did they have a schedule? :P Their purpose in exploring was... exploring. To see what was out there!
Chuck Sonnenburg makes an excellent point in his video for Strange New World, the US space program had specific set goals and schedules to achieve things and it's astronaunts both trained constantly on the equipment and for whatever the mission goals where. For the Earth SF to send the Enterprise out without anything more than a vague "hey the Vulcans haven't checked out his area yet" is a waste of resources. It took them decades to design and build the NX series and they wound up sending Archer out on a glorified road trip...in space.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Cpl Kendall wrote: It took them decades to design and build the NX series and they wound up sending Archer out on a glorified road trip...in space.
Isn't that Star Trek. [cough] Wagon train to the stars [/cough]
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."