''Nominal Allies''

Deep Space Nine
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: ''Nominal Allies''

Post by Mark »

KuvahMagh wrote:Well if news of the event reached the general public in the Empire the politicians may have been forced to withhold their troops from the War. I mean, they almost lost a major fleet without firing a shot, I'm sure the people wouldn't be happy about that. Not to mention the disgrace that would come from being tricked.

Not to mention the first fleet they lost. Well that the Tal'Shiar lost, but still, you can't really keep something like that a secret.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I always picked that the Romulans were just looking for a clear winner. With the UFP and KE out of the way the Dominion would be uncheck. It would make sense to just keep the RSE many of the other smaller nations out of the war. Then when its over the Dominion wouldn't even have to lift a finger. Founders would speak and everyone would jump too.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

That seems likely.

It may also be that the Original praetor/Proconsul/foreign affairs minister whatever was "removed" from office (probably assassinated by his rival) and the new one supported the war.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Given that they themselves knew that they seriously outnumbered and outgunned the Federation, Klingons and Romulans combined, they shouldn't have had anything to fear from the. Particularly given that their only entry into Dominion space was a massive bottleneck it would be trivialy easy to fortify. There was no need to attack them, ergo it was conquest for the sake of conquest.
And when the Federation grew big enough and powerful enough to fly the long way to Dominion space and take them over?

The Dominion took them over as soon as they could, and to be fair the AQ powers did start invading the GQ first.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

i always thought that, the dominion did afterall warn the federation to desist charting the gamma quadrant, all be it after accrediting several conflicts to jem hadar retalliation, does anyone think that the federation refused or kow tow to bullying or was it a case of the federation being provocative and instigating the dominion war via it being intractable concerning mapping the gamma quadrant?
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

And when the Federation grew big enough and powerful enough to fly the long way to Dominion space and take them over?
The Dominion had no idea of the Federation's rate of growth, either territorialy or technologicaly. Ergo they could not have known that the Federation would have outstripped them in time.
The Dominion took them over as soon as they could, and to be fair the AQ powers did start invading the GQ first
Fair point, I hadn't thought of that.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

The Dominion had no idea of the Federation's rate of growth, either territorialy or technologicaly. Ergo they could not have known that the Federation would have outstripped them in time.
That makes no real sense, I find it more likely that since the Dominion did not know all of this they would have been more likely to attack since people tend to fear the unknown and I doubt the Dominion is much different in that regard. In the episode where Sisko captures the downed bug the Changling and the Vorta were both so afraid of what the Humans might do that they essentially allowed her/him to die. They are Xenophobic, they have a bad history with Solids even if they occasionally start it, I'd say the relative unknowns in this case would make them more likely to attack rather than sit back.
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Not to mention the fact that they could find out pretty damn quickly.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I believe that the UFP did stop incursions into the GQ when they were asked.

Teaos - does Seafort's example of the Teplan Blight count as evil.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Depends why it was used, I cant remember it.

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Teaos wrote:Depends why it was used, I cant remember it.
To punish the Teplans for something like independent thought or somesuch.
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I'll look it up latter but with out knowing why I'm not going to comment.

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

From the script:
The Quickening wrote:TREVEAN (Cont'd)
We believed nothing was beyond our
ability. We even thought we could
resist the Dominion.

Our people react.

TREVEAN
I see you've heard of them.
(beat)
Then take care not to defy them...
or your people will pay the same
price we did. The Jem'Hadar
came... and left our world
crushed, as an example to others.

Dax and Bashir exchange an uncomfortable look; the
potential parallels to the Federation are ominous.
Trevean motions to the Attendant.

TREVEAN
Bring Milani's child to me.
(turning to our people)
More than anything, the Dominion
wanted my people to bear the mark
of their defiance. And so they
gave us the Blight.

Trevean holds the BABY out for us to see... it has the
same blue welts on its face as everyone else. It's a
tragic sight, a symbol of hopelessness.

TREVEAN
We're all born with it... and we
all die from it. The Blight
quickens... the lesions turn
red... and death comes soon
after... Some die in childhood...
most before they can have children
of their own... only a few live to
be my age.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Hmmm, thats nasty for sure but evil... evil is a strong word.

The Dominion is very clear in its goals, it wants to rule all. It seems like it can do it nicely as well some times.

These guys provoked them, they tickled a sleeping dragon. Sure it was nasty of the Dominion to do but it was again in retaliation.

Evil is doing something for the joy and pleasure of it. This is not evil, nasty - yes, evil - no.

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Really? Instead of simply putting down a rebellion - even if they had done so ruthlessly - they engineered a a disease which would slowly kill the entire population by killing more and more before they reached procreative age.

Sound evil to me.
as Bull offed Custer