ST V stardate error

Discuss the site here - suggestions, comments, complaints, etc.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Re: ST V stardate error

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Gene was asked about Stardates once and he said :

"This time system adjusts for shifts in relative time which occur due to the vessel's speed and space warp capability. It has little relationship to Earth's time as we know it. One hour aboard the U.S.S.Enterprise at different times may equal as little as three Earth hours. The stardates specified in the log entry must be computed against the speed of the vessel, the space warp, and its position within our galaxy, in order to give a meaningful reading."

Later he admitted that he'd just made that up off the top of his head and had no idea whatsoever what it meant.
Does that actually make sense in any capacity, or have I just been reading too much sci-fi?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Well, relativity is a real thing, but I don't know enough about it to say whether GR's explaination makes any sense.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Rochey wrote:Well, relativity is a real thing, but I don't know enough about it to say whether GR's explaination makes any sense.
It doesn't in universe. Warp drive in Trek is nothing like what he's suggesting, when havve we heard about SF ships coming home after being gone for a month and all their family had died of old age. It would also make real time comms a bit of a joke.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Fair point.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

All i know is

1: i cant be arsed with this conjecture

2: why correct a ST V error. the whole film was one giant error. Its incorrectable.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

It's vaguely conceivable that travelling at warp speed has some sort of time dilation effect akin to relativity, perhaps to a smaller degree. There's precious little in the show to support it though.

The idea of transwarp as described in Mister Scott's Guide to the Enterprise is something like this, IIRC. There, transwarp had time dilation but in reverse! If you went at a high transwarp speed, you would find that when you slowed down more time had passed for you than had passed for everybody else. So you might fly at high transwarp for a week, and find that only three days had passed for others.

It would have interesting implications if that happened. For instance in responding to a disaster you could fly in circles at very high transwarp speed, and take lots of time to prepare while not keeping the survivors waiting. Cool!
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I know I'm asking a ridiculous question, but... how?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Mikey wrote:I know I'm asking a ridiculous question, but... how?
Quantum
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I should have known.
as Bull offed Custer
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Rochey wrote:Nah, that was Doctor Who. :P
What, reversing the polarity comes from Forbidden Planet, released 1956, all the rest are simply a hommage to that. That includes Doctor Who which was first broadcast in 1963.
email, ergo spam
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mikey wrote:I know I'm asking a ridiculous question, but... how?
Transwarp has been talked about in various fan circles for a while as involving the dimension seen in The Tholian Web where Kirk managed to survive past his oxygen supply due to the passage of time being different. Think stuff like the Warp in WH40K without the nasty bits, or slipstream in Andromeda.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

IanKennedy wrote:
Rochey wrote:Nah, that was Doctor Who. :P
What, reversing the polarity comes from Forbidden Planet, released 1956, all the rest are simply a hommage to that. That includes Doctor Who which was first broadcast in 1963.
Where does it appear? I must have seen that film a zillion times (soon to be a zillion and one).
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

kostmayer wrote: Where does it appear? I must have seen that film a zillion times (soon to be a zillion and one).
IIRC it's from the scene where the klystron tube has been damaged by the ID monster and their talking about comms.

Edit: Or the deceleration from hyperspace.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Strange, I never knew it was from that film.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Dr. Who will always have its claim on the sonic screwdriver, however.
as Bull offed Custer