Gamma mission sign in

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Gamma mission sign in

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Wait, you just said:
The Shadow Fox is(or rather was) an advanced prototype with abilities superior to comparable craft.
Why the heck would they sell it for surplus in that case?
In fact, what would you buy it with? The Federation as a whole seems to be lacking in personal property, and I don't recall any Federation citizens with their own ships, as opposed to working on government vessels.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Rochey wrote:Wait, you just said:
The Shadow Fox is(or rather was) an advanced prototype with abilities superior to comparable craft.
Why the heck would they sell it for surplus in that case?
It was heavily damaged beyond what Starfleet deemed salvagable.
In fact, what would you buy it with? The Federation as a whole seems to be lacking in personal property, and I don't recall any Federation citizens with their own ships, as opposed to working on government vessels.
Cassidy Yates had the Xhosa(sp?).
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It was heavily damaged beyond what Starfleet deemed salvagable.
Then it would be taken apart and used as scrap and spare parts or rebuilt. That's how they do it in real militaries, IIRC.
Cassidy Yates had the Xhosa(sp?).
According to MA:
MA on Kasidy Yates wrote: Kasidy Danielle Yates was a freighter captain later exposed as a Maquis smuggler. Yates commanded the Xhosa on freight runs, initially as a privateer, but later for the Bajoran Ministry of Commerce. Her primary missions were to export cargo from Bajor to its colonies.

[snip]

In the script of "Family Business", in which Kasidy Yates first appears, she is described as "an attractive human woman in her mid-thirties. Kasidy is the captain of her own ship, an independent interstellar freighter, and she bears herself with the confidence befitting her position. She is, however, a civilian, which allows her to be a little more relaxed with her crew than if she were in Starfleet."
Hardly a great example of a Federation citizen with her own ship
MA on the Xhosa wrote:In 2371 the Xhosa operated under the authority of the Petarians.
The Xhosa is under the authority of a race known as the Petarians, not the Federation.
Also the design of the Xhosa would strongly indicate that it is not Federation in origin.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

besides, when we have had Private ships, since when do they dock at Heavily armed Federation torpedo cruisers?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Blackstar the Chakat wrote:I thought the idea of it being sold as surplus was a rather creative idea. Howabout you post your bio so I can **** on your ideas.
Nobody's trying to do that to you; we're trying to figure out what would make sense in our situation. A privately-owned vessel, officially attached to a Starfleet starship and expected to be used on Starfleet missions, doesn't.

I'm not trying to take it away from you - my intent was to have your position be "the" pilot of the 'Fox. I just don't think it being personal property makes any sense for our scenario.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Blackstar, the point at which my bio imposes unreal circumstances on others ideas/way of going about things, then you can shit all over it.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Then it would be taken apart and used as scrap and spare parts or rebuilt. That's how they do it in real militaries, IIRC
Normally yes, but first this isn't a real military, this is Starfleet. They aren't too bright. Secondly M'Real is well connected and could easily pull some strings.
A privately-owned vessel, officially attached to a Starfleet starship and expected to be used on Starfleet missions, doesn't.
Okay...what does the real military do when they have a civilian ship or vehicle in their fleet?
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Just as a starter, at what point did it become a civilian vessel? I don't see why it wouldn't remain SF.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Thorin wrote:Just as a starter, at what point did it become a civilian vessel? I don't see why it wouldn't remain SF.
When it was sold as surplus, we covered this at least twice now.

On a totally unrelated note, why don't we have a frustrated emoticon?
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

why was it sold as surplus? it should not have been in the first place. Blackstar, your making it alot more complicated than it need be.
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Yes, my point was rather that there was no need for it to become surplus. Just keeping it as SF and having it in the Daystrom's hangers is the simplest, as as usual, seemingly the best idea. Making it a private vessel but then harbouring it in a SF ship and using it for random outings or Federation missions is pretty unreal.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Reliant121 wrote:why was it sold as surplus? it should not have been in the first place. Blackstar, your making it alot more complicated than it need be.
When it was heavily damaged. Has anyone other then Mikey actually read my bio?
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Actually, I read the whole f*cking thing. And, tough t*tties blackstar, militaries, which DO include starfleet DONT sell ships, unless its to another government. and only when they are antiquated. They SCRAP them.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Reliant121 wrote: militaries, which DO include starfleet DONT sell ships,.
What about vehicles used in/as museums or as glorified lawn ornaments for vetern buildings?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Normally yes, but first this isn't a real military, this is Starfleet. They aren't too bright.
Prove they do it differently.
Secondly M'Real is well connected and could easily pull some strings.
All the connections in the world wouldn't let a modern commander buy a damaged F-22. This is no different.
Okay...what does the real military do when they have a civilian ship or vehicle in their fleet?
They don't have civilian ships or vehicles in their fleet on a permanent basis.
When it was sold as surplus, we covered this at least twice now.
How do you sell something as surplus in a society where money doesn't exist? What are you going to sell it for? Food?
When it was heavily damaged.
In which case it'd be scrapped and used for spare parts.
What about vehicles used in/as museums or as glorified lawn ornaments for vetern buildings?
Firstly, they're decomissioned vehicles.
Secondly, they usualy have all military weapons and related equipment torn out.
Thirdly, they're not based on aircraft carriers, which is what this effectively is.