The Genesis Device

The Next Generation
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: The Genesis Device

Post by KuvahMagh »

Mikey wrote:Agreed. I don't think the cause of death matters to themn so much as the circumstances; I'm sure every Klingon would prefer being "genesised" in battle to dying of old age at home.
Ahh but would it be a true battle to them, say at random this happened to a planet, it would be the start of a battle no doubt but would it, on its own, be a battle or a massacre... either way i think we all know the klingons would be lining up to kick some ass...
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

KuvahMagh wrote:Ahh but would it be a true battle to them, say at random this happened to a planet, it would be the start of a battle no doubt but would it, on its own, be a battle or a massacre...
I expect they'd count it in the same categoryas being on the business end of a tactical nuclear strike - not really a battle, but if it's due to enemy action then it's good enough for Sto'vo'kor.

Of course, if it was just some random Klingon happening to be sightseeing on a planet earmarked for insta-terraforming it probably wouldn't count.
either way i think we all know the klingons would be lining up to kick some ass...
And the difference between this and every other day of the week is what, exactly? :P
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

I expect they'd count it in the same categoryas being on the business end of a tactical nuclear strike - not really a battle, but if it's due to enemy action then it's good enough for Sto'vo'kor.
True enough I suppose, so long as the victim dies with honor and all that...
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

I always figured part of the reason the Genesis Planet failed may have been because it was formed out of a nebula and not an already stable planet. I see no reason that it shouldn't work if it were used on an already stable planetoid. Perhaps nebulae and starships were not meant to be planets. :-0

Remember, Genesis was not meant to make planets from nothing, but to reorganize what was already there.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

me,myself and I wrote:I always figured part of the reason the Genesis Planet failed may have been because it was formed out of a nebula and not an already stable planet. I see no reason that it shouldn't work if it were used on an already stable planetoid. Perhaps nebulae and starships were not meant to be planets. :-0

Remember, Genesis was not meant to make planets from nothing, but to reorganize what was already there.
It did reorganize what was already there, the Mutara Nebula. Also David Marcus' statements made it sound like it was the instability of the protomatter that made the planet unstable not the nebula.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Blackstar the Chakat wrote: It did reorganize what was already there, the Mutara Nebula. Also David Marcus' statements made it sound like it was the instability of the protomatter that made the planet unstable not the nebula.
Yes, but according to the computer file Kirk, McCoy and Spock watched it was never meant to do things like that. It was meant to be used on planets, not detonated in the middle of a gasesous nebula. Also, the protomatter instability was his FIRST GUESS, scientists usually experiement to check such things but we don't have an oppurtunity to see that in ST III, due to his unfortunate death, so perhaps it WASN'T the protomatter?
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

me,myself and I wrote:
Blackstar the Chakat wrote: It did reorganize what was already there, the Mutara Nebula. Also David Marcus' statements made it sound like it was the instability of the protomatter that made the planet unstable not the nebula.
Yes, but according to the computer file Kirk, McCoy and Spock watched it was never meant to do things like that. It was meant to be used on planets, not detonated in the middle of a gasesous nebula. Also, the protomatter instability was his FIRST GUESS, scientists usually experiement to check such things but we don't have an oppurtunity to see that in ST III, due to his unfortunate death, so perhaps it WASN'T the protomatter?
Well, I'm a little rusty on my astronomic science but don't nebulas contain a lot of material necessary for planets?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

The material necessary for a planet depends on what type of planet you want. I think what MM&I is saying is that part of the Genesis effect was "used up" in forming the planet, rather than be 100% applied to converting an existing planet. I tend to agree based on Marcus' statement that the inherent instability of protomatter was probably the issue, but MM&I raises a valid point. This is why experiments are duplicated, and why prototypes aren't deemed abject failures if they don't perform the exactly as an end product is desired.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Another problem is that Carol Marcus was very adament about not so much as a microobe being on the test planet. If there was a risk that a second prototype would destroy the test planet that would effect the entire solar system it's in. She might insist the entire system is uninhabited which would make it that much harder to find a test side.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Mikey wrote:The material necessary for a planet depends on what type of planet you want. I think what MM&I is saying is that part of the Genesis effect was "used up" in forming the planet, rather than be 100% applied to converting an existing planet.
Well, I'm a little rusty on my astronomic science but don't nebulas contain a lot of material necessary for planets?
That and I figure Genesis was not designed to reorganize matter into planets. It was meant to be used on already formed, stable planets and only alter their biosphere. NOT form them out of what is essiantly "thin air". I'm not saying the protomatter didn't play a part in the collapse, I'm saying that the collapse may have been a combination of the instability and the fact that the device did something it was not designed for that led to the destabilization.
katefan
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by katefan »

me,myself and I wrote:I always figured part of the reason the Genesis Planet failed may have been because it was formed out of a nebula and not an already stable planet. I see no reason that it shouldn't work if it were used on an already stable planetoid. Perhaps nebulae and starships were not meant to be planets. :-0

If that were the case then I think David would have said so in ST III. He seemed to think it was the use of proto matter that was the problem.

In any case, I always thought one of the big problems with the Genesis planet was it's proximity to a star. Without it being within that narrow margin that allows life to develop the planet should have turned into a lifeless rock. Guess they were lucky the nebula was juuuuust close enough to Regula to make the miracle happen. :)
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

katefan wrote:

If that were the case then I think David would have said so in ST III. He seemed to think it was the use of proto matter that was the problem.

In any case, I always thought one of the big problems with the Genesis planet was it's proximity to a star. Without it being within that narrow margin that allows life to develop the planet should have turned into a lifeless rock. Guess they were lucky the nebula was juuuuust close enough to Regula to make the miracle happen. :)
That raised an interesting point for me. This planet was formed in a "place" it shouldn't have been. By not being properly aligned in an orbit, and in proper synch with other orbital bodies, wouldn't that have created gravometral stress, that COULD have been a contributing factor to the destruction of the Genesis Planet? I mean, if protomatter is inherantly unstable, couldn't stresses like that be a direct contributing factor to destabilizing the entire planet?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Damn straight it could. Another reason that there must have been an inherent problem, rather than the fact that after just the one full-scale test they called it an unremediable failure.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I think, in the end, that we have to just agree that we'll never know. Each possibility is as likely as every other.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Mark wrote:
katefan wrote:

That raised an interesting point for me. This planet was formed in a "place" it shouldn't have been. By not being properly aligned in an orbit, and in proper synch with other orbital bodies, wouldn't that have created gravometral stress, that COULD have been a contributing factor to the destruction of the Genesis Planet? I mean, if protomatter is inherantly unstable, couldn't stresses like that be a direct contributing factor to destabilizing the entire planet?
Yes, but that may only speed up the process. Could you imagine the fiasco if the planet seemed stable long enough for a large colony to be set up and then it exploded?