USS Excalibur

The Original Series

What happened to USS Excalibur?

Did they manage to repair her and get her back into service with a new crew?
75%
Was she deemed unsalvagable, thus decommissioned, and scrapped?
25%

Total votes: 12
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: USS Excalibur

Post by Teaos »

Well to be fair the ship Scotty ran was a lot less complicated and powerful.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Teaos wrote:Well to be fair the ship Scotty ran was a lot less complicated and powerful.
Yeah but these new Engineers are getting lazy... how many times did Scotty Reverse the Polarity of something, I really don't remember him doing it once... now a days its the cure all... pure laziness...
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

True....these days engineers juggle a few isoliniar chips, or just punch a few keys. Scotty was crawling around tubes inches away from open energy conduits almost getting electircuted, running from place to place, fighting off intruders in engineering with his crew, and still found time to run the transporter.

Who else had such a busy day?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

The fact that TOS era stuff was designed somewhat competantly also helped.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

The fact that in TNG+ that you could fix a nacelle by switching some chips about 150m away may be related to the fact that a pebble hitting the shuttlebay door makes a console on the bridge explode.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Apparently they haven't heard of "surge protectors" either.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Also, to be fair in TOS they didn't have the budget to blow up the ship every other week. Also, did we ever actually *see* the warp core?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

me,myself and I wrote:Also, to be fair in TOS they didn't have the budget to blow up the ship every other week. Also, did we ever actually *see* the warp core?
The big thing on the floor in engineering had the dilithium crystals in it. Presumably that was the core.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

They just don't build'em like they used to. Remember, Enterprise took a hit from Nomad equiling the force of 90 photon torpedos (something like that?) and it's didn't even knock their transporter offline.

This kind of construction, as opposed to the new fangled "pebble hitting the shuttlebay and a console blows up" and blowing up completely at least once a season, makes me wonder if it wouldn't have been safer to put kids on the Connie Enterprise.

OH GOD!!! VISION IN MY HEAD!!! MAKE IT GO AWAY!!!

:::Weasly at the helm of the Enterprise. Sulu standing over his shoulder, supervising, while inviting him to try fencing with him later::: "Don't worry Wes, I'll make sure you get the thrust of it" :jester:
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Mark wrote:"pebble hitting the shuttlebay and a console blows up"
Hey! I coined a phrase! :jump:
Mark wrote:"Don't worry Wes, I'll make sure you get the thrust of it"
Wow. Beat Tsukiyumi to it.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I figure a little compatition is healthy, right ? :angel1:
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Wow, someone had challenged Tsu for the crown of innuendo.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

GrahamKennedy wrote:
me,myself and I wrote:Also, to be fair in TOS they didn't have the budget to blow up the ship every other week. Also, did we ever actually *see* the warp core?
The big thing on the floor in engineering had the dilithium crystals in it. Presumably that was the core.
All we know is it housed the dilithium crystals, we never heard it refered to as the warp drive...and wasn't that thing not there for 2 seasons or so? I remember reading somewhere (I forget where, a long time ago) that the engineering we see in the series was actually in the saucer section and the big glowing red thing was the impulse engine(?).
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

me,myself and I wrote:
GrahamKennedy wrote:
All we know is it housed the dilithium crystals, we never heard it refered to as the warp drive...and wasn't that thing not there for 2 seasons or so? I remember reading somewhere (I forget where, a long time ago) that the engineering we see in the series was actually in the saucer section and the big glowing red thing was the impulse engine(?).
Hey, excellent point. In fact, the first warp core we saw was in ST TMP on board a seriously refitted Enterprise. It's possible that the Connies didn't have a "warp core" per say, like we think of today.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Fair point. They may have used some other, similar, system to run the ship instead.