Our Ship - Armour

How much armour will our ship have?

Poll ended at Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:37 am

10cm (-2% speed, -4% movement, -1 ship production)
No votes
20cm (-4% speed, -8% movement, -2 ship production)
13%
30cm (-6% speed, -12% movement, -3 ship production)
9%
40cm (-8% speed, -16% movement, -4 ship production)
6%
50cm (-10% speed, -20% movement, -5 ship production)
No votes
60cm (-12% speed, -24% movement, -6 ship production)
19%
61cm< ...
No votes
Traditional armour
3%
Ablative armour
34%
Mixture (Specify)
16%

Total votes: 32
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Re: Our Ship - Armour

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Captain Seafort wrote:
ChakatBlackstar wrote:When did we agree on a battleship?
Here
That's not helpful. We only voted on a large ship. At no point did anyone say a large ship had to be a battleship.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
That's not helpful. We only voted on a large ship. At no point did anyone say a large ship had to be a battleship.
It's right in the OP of this thread. Teaos made the decision.

Edit:
According to our first threadwe decided that the Federation in the year 2390ish is going to produce a new class of starship. The class is going to be a Battleship in the size range of the Galaxy and Sovereign class with a beginning mass of 4,000,000 and a production run of about 20 ships given the 80,000,000 tons of resources allowed.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Cpl Kendall wrote:It's right in the OP of this thread. Teaos made the decision.
Oh, I thought we were supposed to vote on that kind of stuff...you know, that being the point of these "our ship" topics.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

We voted on the ship the size and in the thread everyone who voted for it made it clear they were making it a Battleship, even those voting against it made it clear they were voting against a battleship. What else would it be, there is already a explorer and a cruiser of that size.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:Oh, I thought we were supposed to vote on that kind of stuff...you know, that being the point of these "our ship" topics.
Why go through all that rigmarole when there was a clear groundswell of opinion in the first thread that the ship would be a battleship?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Captain Seafort wrote:
ChakatBlackstar wrote:Oh, I thought we were supposed to vote on that kind of stuff...you know, that being the point of these "our ship" topics.
Why go through all that rigmarole when there was a clear groundswell of opinion in the first thread that the ship would be a battleship?
Because that's how democracy works. While the majority voted for a large ship, it's possible that a majority didn't want a battleship.
We voted on the ship the size and in the thread everyone who voted for it made it clear they were making it a Battleship, even those voting against it made it clear they were voting against a battleship. What else would it be, there is already a explorer and a cruiser of that size
An explorer that's over twenty years old and tends to be used more for diplomatic missions then anything. Why not build a long-range explorer? And isn't there already a battleship of that size? The Soverign?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Again the majority of the opinion in that thread was for a Battleship. Up to know no even mentioned another posibility for a large ship.

We could re design a explorer but the GCS alredy does that roll well enough. Most of the problems people here have with it is that its used as a battleship when its clearly designed as a explorer. If you kept it to deepspace exploration it would do a fantastic job at it.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Teaos wrote:Again the majority of the opinion in that thread was for a Battleship. Up to know no even mentioned another posibility for a large ship.
But starfleet already has a battleship, the Soverign-class ship. And it's still appropriate to take a vote on it.
We could re design a explorer but the GCS alredy does that roll well enough. Most of the problems people here have with it is that its used as a battleship when its clearly designed as a explorer. If you kept it to deepspace exploration it would do a fantastic job at it.
Except that it was a multi-role ship. I'm talking a dedicated explorer here.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

But starfleet already has a battleship, the Soverign-class ship. And it's still appropriate to take a vote on it.
The Sov is a Cruiser by definition. It has little to no armour, is fast and agile. It also has average weaponary for a ship that size.
Except that it was a multi-role ship. I'm talking a dedicated explorer here.
How is the GCS multi roll. It has very limited weapons so it is hardly a warship. Any less weapons on a ship that size is just asking for trouble.

And an explorer would have to be multi roll anyway. It is alone by its self in deep space. It has to be able to do anything needed.

Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Teaos wrote:
The Sov is a Cruiser by definition. It has little to no armour, is fast and agile. It also has average weaponary for a ship that size.
How would you know what's 'average' for a ship that size? The thing's armed to the teeth and it's hull seemed to be stronger then it's romulan contemporary. There's nothing stopping a battleship from being fast and agile, the Iowas could do 30+ knots.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

ChakatBlackstar wrote:How would you know what's 'average' for a ship that size? The thing's armed to the teeth and it's hull seemed to be stronger then it's romulan contemporary. There's nothing stopping a battleship from being fast and agile, the Iowas could do 30+ knots.
Exactly - the Iowas could make 33 knots. They also weren't true battleships - closer to well protected battlecruisers. They had weaker armour than contempory heavy battleships (only a 12" belt, compared to the 15" belt of the KGVs, and the 16" of the Yamatos and planned Montanas), were less well armed (9 18" guns on the Yamatos and 12 16" for the Montanas). Battleships, on the other hand, were generally restricted to 30 knots flat out, and often more like 27-28 knots.

The Sov, while it's certainly well-armed, was proven out-matched by the Scimitar, despite Romulan support and Shinzon's idiotic tactics - it's a battlecruiser. What we're looking at here is a Montana or Yamato to compliment the Sov's Iowa - a ship that's as big as Starfleet can build (which means GCS-size), and sacrifices mobility for protection and firepower.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Captain Seafort wrote: The Sov, while it's certainly well-armed, was proven out-matched by the Scimitar, despite Romulan support and Shinzon's idiotic tactics - it's a battlecruiser. What we're looking at here is a Montana or Yamato to compliment the Sov's Iowa - a ship that's as big as Starfleet can build (which means GCS-size), and sacrifices mobility for protection and firepower.
As if every trigger happy fanboy hasn't already designed that ship. And the Scimitar was more like a dreadnought then a battleship
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Whether or not you like it is largely irrelevant. It's been decided that this is going to be a battleship. If you don't like it, then you should have voiced your opinion in the thread where we discussed that very fact.

On another note, it appears that 60CM Ablative has won this round.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Rochey wrote:Whether or not you like it is largely irrelevant. It's been decided that this is going to be a battleship. If you don't like it, then you should have voiced your opinion in the thread where we discussed that very fact.

On another note, it appears that 60CM Ablative has won this round.
I did voice my opinion and we should still have a proper vote.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

ChakatBlackstar wrote:As if every trigger happy fanboy hasn't already designed that ship.
Not quite - the vessels you describe are invariably "take canon design and randomly stick more nacelles/phasers/torpedoes on it and expect it to outperform every other ship ever show with absolutely no drawbacks." This is being done by setting basic requirements and accepting that by adding extra armour and guns the ship will be slower and rarer.
And the Scimitar was more like a dreadnought then a battleship
1) Dreadnoughts are a type of battleship you idiot. :roll:

2) The sheer number of weapons (27 torp launchers, 52 disruptor banks) suggests a philosophy of quantity over quality - the antithesis of the Dreadnought concept.