Ship of the Week: Corellian Gunship (DP20 Frigate)

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Ship of the Week: Corellian Gunship (DP20 Frigate)

Post by Captain Seafort »

SuperSaiyaMan12 wrote:Is that Calculation provided from a source in a novel or something? Like Death Star? Something out of a Source Book?
It's derived from the destruction of Alderaan, as seen in Star Wars - in order for a planet-sized mass to explode as violently, and with the rate of debris expansion seen in the film, the DS must have injected at least 10^38 joules. Of course, this is a lower limit, since we know nothing of the effect of Alderaan's shield on the superlaser, other than the fact that it blocked the beam for a fraction of a second.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SuperSaiyaMan12 »

Captain Seafort wrote:
SuperSaiyaMan12 wrote:Is that Calculation provided from a source in a novel or something? Like Death Star? Something out of a Source Book?
It's derived from the destruction of Alderaan, as seen in Star Wars - in order for a planet-sized mass to explode as violently, and with the rate of debris expansion seen in the film, the DS must have injected at least 10^38 joules. Of course, this is a lower limit, since we know nothing of the effect of Alderaan's shield on the superlaser, other than the fact that it blocked the beam for a fraction of a second.
So what would the calculation be for, example, Master Roshi destroying Earth's Moon with a Kamehameha? Or Freeza's Death Ball that destroyed Planet Vegeta and Namek? (Just wondering if you could answer)

Lets get back to topic.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

SuperSaiyaMan12 wrote:So what would the calculation be for, example, Master Roshi destroying Earth's Moon with a Kamehameha? Or Freeza's Death Ball that destroyed Planet Vegeta and Namek? (Just wondering if you could answer)
The destruction of the moon would require a minimum of 2E29 J. The destruction of a planet the same size and mass of the Earth would require a minimum of 3.7E32 J. These numbers would rise considerably depending on the speed of the explosion.

The calculation assumes a DET weapon, and simply plugs the figures for the body's mass and escape velocity into the kinetic energy formula.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Captain Seafort wrote:
SuperSaiyaMan12 wrote:So what would the calculation be for, example, Master Roshi destroying Earth's Moon with a Kamehameha? Or Freeza's Death Ball that destroyed Planet Vegeta and Namek? (Just wondering if you could answer)
The destruction of the moon would require a minimum of 2E29 J. The destruction of a planet the same size and mass of the Earth would require a minimum of 3.7E32 J. These numbers would rise considerably depending on the speed of the explosion.

The calculation assumes a DET weapon, and simply plugs the figures for the body's mass and escape velocity into the kinetic energy formula.
There were no asteroid fields left after Roshi destroyed the moon. It was just gone.

Planet Vegeta is 10x the size of Earth, having much higher gravity. The Death Ball Freeza used on Planet Vegeta looked like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH1E563Lvas

Here's when Freeza tried to destroy Planet Namek, he held back too much, but destroyed the old planet's Core, leaving five minutes left in the planet's life: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQkZQ8TTgG8
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

SuperSaiyaMan12 wrote:
RSA and SFJ? Never heard of them.
RSA=Robert Scott Anderson, head nutjob of the ST camp in the internet SW vs ST debate. SFJ=Starfleetjedi, a forum basically devoted to sucking up to RSA.
How about you provide a feat, without scaling, using dialogue that sounds like hyperbole, etc. showing the maximum firepower of one turbolaser turret?

I can do better: the destruction of Alderaan requires a minimum of 3.7E32 J, the events depicted in ANH require far more power as the planet was just broken up but scattered.

And you have yet to respond to the request for evidence that the ICS is wrong or written with the express purpose of inflating SW firepower.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Kamehameha? What does an Hawai'ian king have to do with anything?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Mikey wrote:Kamehameha? What does an Hawai'ian king have to do with anything?
That's the name of the KI attack that Master Roshi developed in Dragon Ball. The Kamehameha Wave. Concentrates the energy into a person palms, it focuses it, and then shoots it out in a coherent beam like the Death Star's superlaser.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Captain Seafort wrote: 2) The Death Star. The Alderaan blast, scaled to the size of an ISD, would be about half a trillion gigatons. Given that the DS can fire one such blast per day, this would give an ISD the firepower of over 5 million gigatons per second, and an Acclamator over 5 thousand gigatons per second - almost twice the firepower attributed to it by the ICS.
Thought it was per like 18 minutes for the first Death Star and per thirty seconds or so for the second?
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Ah - to estimate the firepower involved in that, you must know the heat capacity and density of those skyscrapers construction materials. Do share these tidbits with the rest of us.
Taris wasn't a DBZ operation since its crust remained afterwards. So either Mallak didn't order a DBZ or at that time that kind of fire power didn't exist.

And what ever happened to going with the diologue instead of the 'special effects' which is what comic book artists basically are.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Monroe wrote:
Captain Seafort wrote:
Ah - to estimate the firepower involved in that, you must know the heat capacity and density of those skyscrapers construction materials. Do share these tidbits with the rest of us.
Taris wasn't a DBZ operation since its crust remained afterwards. So either Mallak didn't order a DBZ or at that time that kind of fire power didn't exist.

And what ever happened to going with the diologue instead of the 'special effects' which is what comic book artists basically are.
There's something called Hyperbole. For example-Booster Gold compared Doomsday's Speed to Flash-yet its clear by the comic Doomsday wasn't that fast.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
That's pretty much been thrown out the window with the ICS and the Clone Wars which show that these vessels have been around for a long time as warship designs.
An Imperial-class Star Destroyer is in the hundreds of millions of credits, this little DP20 Frigate is only 4.5 million.
Seriously, don't use RPG stats.
Where in the Clone Wars/ICS? I don't remember those. And... wouldn't it make sense for such a huge warship to cost a lot more than a small gunship?
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote: Where in the Clone Wars/ICS? I don't remember those. And... wouldn't it make sense for such a huge warship to cost a lot more than a small gunship?
In the ICS, I believe it's in the compelation and there are episodes in Clone Wars that deal with Mon Calamari.

And if you notice I never said that a gunship would cost more than an ISD. I said the WEG stats were innaccurate as they were designed for an RPG (which has to be interesting and entertaining first off) and seeing as the ship costs fall under game mechanics, they are not admissable canon. Rather like Kyle Katarn being able to take hundreds of hits in the Jedi games.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Cpl Kendall wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote: Where in the Clone Wars/ICS? I don't remember those. And... wouldn't it make sense for such a huge warship to cost a lot more than a small gunship?
In the ICS, I believe it's in the compelation and there are episodes in Clone Wars that deal with Mon Calamari.

And if you notice I never said that a gunship would cost more than an ISD. I said the WEG stats were innaccurate as they were designed for an RPG (which has to be interesting and entertaining first off) and seeing as the ship costs fall under game mechanics, they are not admissable canon. Rather like Kyle Katarn being able to take hundreds of hits in the Jedi games.

Whoops, my bad. :P And I knew about Mon Calamari not being unknown, too. I saw that episode with Kitt Fisto. I was talking about their MC-80 ships being retrofitted passenger cruisers.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:

Whoops, my bad. :P And I knew about Mon Calamari not being unknown, too. I saw that episode with Kitt Fisto. I was talking about their MC-80 ships being retrofitted passenger cruisers.
Oh that, that's been out there for a long time and has cropped up in various guides and RPG documentation for decades. It's definetly in the EGTV. IIRC it was an effort to explain their varied appearance.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Cpl Kendall wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:

Oh that, that's been out there for a long time and has cropped up in various guides and RPG documentation for decades. It's definetly in the EGTV. IIRC it was an effort to explain their varied appearance.
Yeah. I own the EGTV and the NEGTV and it's in both.

So... we agree about the cruisers being updated passenger liners, about their isolation being retconned out and that star destroyers cost more than gunships. Am I correct?