Debate prep

Discuss the site here - suggestions, comments, complaints, etc.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Everyone here has different specialities. I would imagin most times we have 10 or 11 debaters but only 8 spots. In a TOS debate I imagin I wouldnt be picked since I dont like it.
Last edited by Teaos on Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

I'll argue that "yes, the Maquis are terrorists".
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Well I guess that makes me "No they aren't"

I'll take Kendall for my team.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

I'll take Monroe.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I'll take Bryan which rounds off my team.

Teaos, Kendall and Bryan for the negative.

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

I'll take KuvahMagh.

The "for" team - Seafort, Monroe, KuvahMagh.

If anyone doesn't wish to make the argument chosen by their team captain, or is no longer able to participate, speak now or forever hold your peace.

I'll get started with writing my OP.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

What say a week from today Seafort? First post is on the 24th of April GMT.

We'll let Mikey flip a coin and tell us who goes first.

The order of debators is decided in team.

I'll post a final version of the rules in a few hours.

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

I suggest that rather than flipping a coin, the team making a positive claim and therefore having the burden of proof, should go first. In this case it would be mine.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Very well.

Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

*grabbing popcorn*

I need to find a good seat. :wink:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Presuming this works out and we have another one I expect you to be in one of the hot seats :D

Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

That's why I'm only a spectator on this one. :)
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Judges: Mikey and hopefully a second. I have asked Graham but he has yet to respond. If needed we can go with just one for the first debate.

Judging: Points out of 100 for each post, teams consist of 3 members so total score for each team will be 600 points if we get 2 judges if not 300 points total.

Barring unforeseeable circumstances the results will be posted 48 hours after the last post. Any formal complaints by one team about the other (ie posts to long, dubious references) must be made with in 24 hours of the debate. The points for each post will be made public to assure no corruption on the judges part.

No comments or criticism are to be made during the debate by anyone inside the debate thread. Any queries can be made here.

How the points are awarded is up to the judges.

Rules: Alternating turns. 1000 word limit per post, 1500 words for the openers and closers of each team. This word count includes outside quotes and references. All information you wish to include in your post must be posted in your post. You cannot give a link and expect people to read it. It is up to the judges whether they accept these as fact so be careful from where you get them from.

For this debate Seaforts affirmative team are the first to post.

Speaking order ect is decided upon by the team.

Canon only. This only includes the 5 series and 10 movies as shown on TV or the theater.

The replying post must be made with in 24 hours of the last post. Since the person designated to go at any given time (ie Opener, 2nd, Closer) is up to the team, if the person designated to post cannot for some reason post in time, the captain of that team may make the post in their position. They will suffer a 50 point penalty for this though. Or they can pass on the turn, they will not suffer the penalty but nor will they gain any points at all.

This debate will commence on 24th of April GMT, Seaforts team must make the first post anytime during that day.

I will create a thread with the topic and the teams the day before the debate. Only Debaters and judges may post in there.

EDIT: 3000th post!
Last edited by Teaos on Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Just to give everybody a heads-up: I will be judging on use of logic, use of evidence, ability to counter, and ability to make your position clear/rhetoric. Don't waste your word count by discussing your opponents' techniques, because it won't help you - rather, spend your time supporting your points and defeating the opposing ones. Grammar is important only inasmuch as I can understand what you are trying to say; likewise spelling (you're safe on that count, Teaos. :wink: )
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

(you're safe on that count, Teaos. )
Thanks Mikey and I hope you enjoy that gold watch. But since I will be running this through MS word I doubt I'll have as many screw ups as usual.