Anyone A Fan Of The Traviss Written Star Wars EU?

RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Rochey wrote:
Yeah, but it's not horse manure...
Quite right. This particular crap is made of paper, rather than assorted foodstuffs.
Bull. The JAT was damned good, had a powerful Luke, cute kids in Jacen and Jaina and watching Daala flounder around was almost funny in a tragic sort of way. It was fast-paced, action-pakced and had well-written characters.

And she's Admiral Daala, Seafort.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:
Bull. The JAT was damned good, had a powerful Luke, cute kids in Jacen and Jaina and watching Daala flounder around was almost funny in a tragic sort of way. It was fast-paced, action-pakced and had well-written characters.

And she's Admiral Daala, Seafort.
Actually it is Corporal, she was never promoted by the military but rather by Moff Tarkin himself and then hidden away in the Maw.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:And she's Admiral Daala, Seafort.
She only had local rank - her substantive rank was corporal.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Captain Seafort wrote: She only had local rank - her substantive rank was corporal.
She was basically appointed as an Admiral, not promoted.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Appointed by, at the time, the number three man in the Empire. She's an admiral...

With the name of a Bond girl.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Appointed by, at the time, the number three man in the Empire. She's an admiral...
Tarkin wasn't the number three. Sate Pestage at least and possibly Isard (one of them) and Ars Dagnor were higher than him.
And the intelligence.
CplKendall wrote:She was basically appointed as an Admiral, not promoted.
What's the difference? As I understand it, an appointment would simply make her "OC Maw Installation", without the right to call herself "Admiral".
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Dang, Seafort. I forgot about those guys. Although I'm not sure about Isard. Are you talking Ysanne or her father, though?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Dang, Seafort. I forgot about those guys. Although I'm not sure about Isard. Are you talking Ysanne or her father, though?
Either - although Ysanne certainly wielded more power than Amand, I'm not sure where they stood in relation to Tarkin. There's also Thrawn and Mara Jade to consider - according to Voss Parck in Vision of the Future, they were of equal importance in Palpatine's mind to Vader himself. While this is unlikely, the fact that Parck believed this is solid evidence that they were of some importance.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

I think Voss was stroking Mara's ego, there, just a bit. And remember-there were multiple Hands-and only one Apprentice.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I think Voss was stroking Mara's ego, there, just a bit. And remember-there were multiple Hands-and only one Apprentice.
True, but how many of those Hands proved capable of thumping some sense into a Jedi Grand Master? :wink:
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Captain Seafort wrote:
What's the difference? As I understand it, an appointment would simply make her "OC Maw Installation", without the right to call herself "Admiral".
She would wear the rank of Admiral, without ever being confirmed as one or the chance of being made permanent (like a crappy brevet) and when the need for her to be an Admiral ceased she would be a Corporal again. She'd also get paid as a Corporal.

This is actually impossible in a RL military, no military an Earth would make a Corporal into an Admiral. The closest equivilant is Cpl to Master Corporal in the CF and Commodores (which are Captains appointed to the command of a small force).
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Appointed by, at the time, the number three man in the Empire. She's an admiral...

And the name of a character from VOY
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Captain Seafort wrote:

This is actually impossible in a RL military, no military an Earth would make a Corporal into an Admiral. The closest equivilant is Cpl to Master Corporal in the CF and Commodores (which are Captains appointed to the command of a small force).
Not really.
Napoleon went from a junior officer to a general and there's probably a dozen other examples earlier in history. Its rare yes but it does happen.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Monroe wrote:
Not really.
Napoleon went from a junior officer to a general and there's probably a dozen other examples earlier in history. Its rare yes but it does happen.
He went from a Lt to A lt. Colonel in the span of a few years, during a period of civil unrest in France. Not a good exanple.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

I was under the impression he was promoted from captain to general after breaking a seige?