What Would YOU Do?

Voyager
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Re: What Would YOU Do?

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Rochey wrote:I'm not sure if that can be considered true sapience, then. They clearly have some sort of telepathic abilities if they were able to pluck the name of the ship out of thin air. That doesn't indicate learning ability.
Oh so they're telepathic now? That's stretching it.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Gee, then how the hell did they know the name of the ship if no one actualy told them? Magic? :roll:
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Rochey wrote:Gee, then how the hell did they know the name of the ship if no one actualy told them? Magic? :roll:
Maybe they read it on the hull. Starfleet isn't subtle in that regard.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

And how would they understand English writing in the Latin alphabet?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I think it was mentioned in the ep that they were telepathic, though I'm not sure.

Also, they did learn rather quickly that the Voyager crew was not a threat. All it took was for Voyager to communicate with them and to not draw their phasers when the aliens entered the bridge (though Harry may have wet his pants).

They were also willing to negotiate with Janeway (with translation (from their language to something the UT could understand) help from the other aliens) and they could be reasoned with. Doesn't this suggest sapience? If not, what does determine sapience?
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Rochey wrote:And how would they understand English writing in the Latin alphabet?
The same way that Arturis fellow did, a natural ability to learn languages. That's far more plausible then telepathic cows
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I think it was mentioned in the ep that they were telepathic, though I'm not sure.
Well that's that bit solved.
Also, they did learn rather quickly that the Voyager crew was not a threat. All it took was for Voyager to communicate with them and to not draw their phasers when the aliens entered the bridge (though Harry may have wet his pants).
Even a dog can differentiate between someone acting hostile towards them and someone who isn't.
They were also willing to negotiate with Janeway (with translation (from their language to something the UT could understand) help from the other aliens) and they could be reasoned with. Doesn't this suggest sapience?
Indeed it does. Conceeded.
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

Rochey wrote:You wouldn't need to build a community there. There was already at least one large city on the planet. Supposedly it was beautiful and maginificent, but we never actualy got to see it due to them blowing the effects budget on a truck floating through space.
All the money actually went on hiring Tackleberry for the episode.
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and
the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to
know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is
to have succeeded.”
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Blackstar the Chakat wrote:The same way that Arturis fellow did, a natural ability to learn languages. That's far more plausible then telepathic cows
Ah, so telepathic cows are implausible, but telepathic whales are blindingly obvious. :roll:
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

But Seafort, they geneticaly engineered themselves to be able to send susbpace messages across space. Duh! :lol:
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Don't you get it, Seafort? My logic stands for one debate, but it's perfectly reasonable for me to argue the opposite of my own position somehwere else! What are you, an idiot? :lol:
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Captain Seafort wrote:
Blackstar the Chakat wrote:The same way that Arturis fellow did, a natural ability to learn languages. That's far more plausible then telepathic cows
Ah, so telepathic cows are implausible, but telepathic whales are blindingly obvious. :roll:
That was Rochey who claimed they were telepathic or something. I said they could talk through subspace, very different...really it's different...it's not different at all is it?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I said they could talk through subspace, very different...really it's different...it's not different at all is it?
Oh, you're right: it's quite different. Very different in fact.

The difference being that it makes even less sense and has even less to back it up.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Rochey wrote:
I said they could talk through subspace, very different...really it's different...it's not different at all is it?
Oh, you're right: it's quite different. Very different in fact.

The difference being that it makes even less sense and has even less to back it up.
Well, maybe I should look into being a politician...well an American politician at least :P
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

You'd do better than what we have now. You can read.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.