Galaxy Class Capability

Deep Space Nine
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Galaxy Class Capability

Post by Aaron »

Mikey wrote:
Yes, but a family that once vied for the seat of Chancellor still having one old BoP still doesn't seem like a stretch to me.
No it doesn't, having a top of the line cruiser does which was my point all along. Maybe we're just running into my inability to string two thoughts together here...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

No, my brain is still stuck on the BoP. I agree with you - a Vor'cha would be better for the E-D's rep, but it wouldn't make sense for the Klingon streetwalker sisters to have one at their disposal.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Victory is Life
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Victory is Life »

Does anyone else examine the visuals from the first battle of Chintoka and wonder about the weapons platform that cuts a swath into the hull of the USS Galaxy and think 'wtf?', I mean, come on, I realize that we are supposed to believe that these platforms are completely badass, but jesus, I mean, these are the pride of starfleet, we don't even see any shield impacts!!!
"You may win this war, Commander, but I promise you, by the time it's over, you will have lost so many ships, so many lives, that your "victory" will taste as bitter as defeat."
- Female Changeling
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

To tell the truth, I had sort of gotten used to that effect in the mass battles of DS9. For whatever reason (OOU, it was for both time and budgetary constraints) individual effects in fleet battles in DS9 were far greater than those of "single" combat in TNG, etc.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Victory is Life wrote:Does anyone else examine the visuals from the first battle of Chintoka and wonder about the weapons platform that cuts a swath into the hull of the USS Galaxy and think 'wtf?', I mean, come on, I realize that we are supposed to believe that these platforms are completely badass, but jesus, I mean, these are the pride of starfleet, we don't even see any shield impacts!!!
I beleive they had switched to hull hugging shields at that point as opposed to the earlier "bubble shields". OOU it was mentioned several times that they did not have the cash or the time to render all the shield interactions, so it was explained in an interview that they had gone with hull huggers.
Victory is Life
Ensign
Ensign

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Victory is Life wrote:Does anyone else examine the visuals from the first battle of Chintoka and wonder about the weapons platform that cuts a swath into the hull of the USS Galaxy and think 'wtf?', I mean, come on, I realize that we are supposed to believe that these platforms are completely badass, but jesus, I mean, these are the pride of starfleet, we don't even see any shield impacts!!!
I beleive they had switched to hull hugging shields at that point as opposed to the earlier "bubble shields". OOU it was mentioned several times that they did not have the cash or the time to render all the shield interactions, so it was explained in an interview that they had gone with hull huggers.

Really? That's crazy, I never heard this, do you have a source?
"You may win this war, Commander, but I promise you, by the time it's over, you will have lost so many ships, so many lives, that your "victory" will taste as bitter as defeat."
- Female Changeling
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Victory is Life wrote:

Let me look, I know I saw it somewhere.

Edit: I'm not finding anything concrete, lots of fan specualtion though.
Victory is Life
Ensign
Ensign

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Victory is Life wrote:

Let me look, I know I saw it somewhere.

Edit: I'm not finding anything concrete, lots of fan specualtion though.

Thanks for checking, that's what I thought. However, it does seem like a logical conclusion.
- Female Changeling
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Victory is Life wrote:

Thanks for checking, that's what I thought. However, it does seem like a logical conclusion.
PM Graham, he has a greater store of Trek trivia then I keep in my addled cogitater.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The Cardis ODPs were just messed up. Way to small to pack the kind of power that they were dealing out. If they had been a fair bit larger then I could understand but they weren't much bigger then a BoP.

As to the death of the E-D. I don't really care if its a little strange that the sisters got their hands on a Vorcha. It's still better then a BoP taking out a GCS on its own.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Deepcrush wrote:The Cardis ODPs were just messed up. Way to small to pack the kind of power that they were dealing out. If they had been a fair bit larger then I could understand but they weren't much bigger then a BoP.
I thought the main base was what provided the power? Basicaly the base has a giant reactor and 'power transmitter', and the ODPs have a sort of 'power receiver', allowing much higher power capacity.

This actually has an advantage over standard ODPs, as the main base can focus power to the ODPs that are under attack/in range to attack allowing those ODPs to have better firing rates and shield regeneration. Regular ODPs can only rely upon their internal power, so the ODPs not under fire cannot help the ones that are under fire. So an attacker could concentrate fire on one ODP at a time, popping them off, and withdrawing when the damage gets too high. The external power ODP setup would have the ODPs under attack receiving more of the power from the main base, allowing them to last longer (and do more damage).

Of course, it requires the main base to be constructed, plus the loss in effficiency due to power transmission, etc. Plus whenever you add more ODP without extending the main base, the firepower of the ODPs actually remains constant, though it will last longer under fire.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Also you have the problem of someone taking out the power source. Or interference with the power supply. Something like a Warp Core breach from a large starship. The shock wave would make transmission a tad bit harder. Then it comes to mop up time for the fleet.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

And once again, the topic has veered off towards yet another tangent.

@M52 and Artek':
Do you want me to go back and reply to your points, or shall we just let it lie now that it's been burried for two pages?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Go ahead and bring it back.
Kevsha
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Kevsha »

Atekimogus wrote:Maybe they fired more than once but then you end up with the best ship of the fleet not beeing able to disable one small 80 year old bird of prey.
Without shields all the the E-D's systems were exposed, with a few suprise shot the B0P could have disabled several weapons on the E-D. we have seen throughout Star Trek that a ship that has lost its shields is incredibly vulnerable. every shop from the BoP is infliting a great deal of damage and the E-D is causing no damage in return. imagine you are in a gunfight withsomeone. your oponent is using a little .22 pistol and you have a .45 but the other guy gets to shoot you first and you have to unload a clip and a half into him before you start to hurt him.

having a larger ship or more ships may have been a more dignified way of seeing the E-D go. but its not entirely unbeleavable that the BoP took her down.