Galaxy-Class (Dominion War Refit) Vs. Galaxy Class

The Next Generation
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Galaxy-Class (Dominion War Refit) Vs. Galaxy Class

Post by Captain Seafort »

McAvoy wrote:Yeah, because in the middle of a war, stopping two or three ships to refuel them is very smart. They don't make a tempting target.
No, they don't - not if you do it in the right place, and do it in shifts. How do you think the US Navy operated in WW2?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:
McAvoy wrote:Yeah, because in the middle of a war, stopping two or three ships to refuel them is very smart. They don't make a tempting target.
No, they don't - not if you do it in the right place, and do it in shifts. How do you think the US Navy operated in WW2?
Agreed with Seafort, not hard to do if each GCS is suppling a single ship at a time. While the entire fleet protects them. If anyone wants to target them then they get to go through and entire GCS wing to get there.

Here's the idea if you missed it...
Deepcrush wrote:Cardis - "Lets take out their supply ships! Then we'll just wait them out!"
Vorta - "That is very unwise."
Cardis - "Why?"
Vorta - "Its to risky to attack them."
Cardis - "How risky is a supply ship?"
Vorta - "Why don't you ask them?" (pointing to the GCS wings)
Cardis - "Oh, are they protecting them?"
Vorta - "No, they are them!"
Cardis - "OH!"
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

And do you honestly think that you're going to be refueling a ship when a battle is on its way? after all, Sensors offer plenty enough time to get the ship unhooked from the plugs, and into a combat ready state, especially if the GCS "Tanker" is in the centre or rear of a fleet (where it should intelligently be as, you have said, it is a tempting target).
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Yeah, because a war is one big giant battle right?

There is a reason why the Nav calls it Underway Replenishment, Navy ships will normally do it while at speed. The US Navy excelled at that sort of thing. It's an exception rather than rule that the Navy does it full stop.

Doing in the middle of a fleet is great. But the general idea everyone has is that the fleet will stop for ships to be refueled. Even if the fleet has not fully stopped but now is starting to do a patrol pattern, the big difference is that the fleet may be still moving but the larger context it might as well be stopped because they are no longer going forward.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

You're forgetting this is in space, not at sea. Speed in space is relative.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

McAvoy wrote:Yeah, because a war is one big giant battle right?
Wrong.
There is a reason why the Nav calls it Underway Replenishment, Navy ships will normally do it while at speed. The US Navy excelled at that sort of thing. It's an exception rather than rule that the Navy does it full stop.
The reason they do it underway is because ships are a lot more stable while they're moving than stationary in the open sea. In space, as Deep pointed out, only relative velocity is relevant.
Doing in the middle of a fleet is great. But the general idea everyone has is that the fleet will stop for ships to be refueled. Even if the fleet has not fully stopped but now is starting to do a patrol pattern, the big difference is that the fleet may be still moving but the larger context it might as well be stopped because they are no longer going forward.
And?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Captain Seafort wrote:McAvoy wrote:
Yeah, because a war is one big giant battle right?

Wrong.
That was sarcasm.
Captain Seafort wrote:There is a reason why the Nav calls it Underway Replenishment, Navy ships will normally do it while at speed. The US Navy excelled at that sort of thing. It's an exception rather than rule that the Navy does it full stop.

The reason they do it underway is because ships are a lot more stable while they're moving than stationary in the open sea. In space, as Deep pointed out, only relative velocity is relevant.
You never been a carrier have you? Carriers barely rock in anything but heavy seas. Smaller ships may have a problem but even then, hoses are flexible and so are the lines that transports the supplies. If the seas get too rough, they won't even hook up. The US Navy does underway replenishments at sea while while moving because staying still makes them vulnerable.
And?
...and in any war you want to move. You don't move, you become a target.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

You're really suggesting that even a planned refueling stop would invite disaster?
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I think McAvoy, like many new comers, is having trouble adjusting his knowledge from planet side actions too space born actions.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I think the point is that there really is no alternative to underway refueling/resupply. The only other option would be to remove a ship from the fleet for days, weeks, or months to attend the nearest starbase - and taking a ship off the line during wartime for up to a month or more is no alternative at all.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Deepcrush wrote:I think McAvoy, like many new comers, is having trouble adjusting his knowledge from planet side actions too space born actions.
I am not really a newcomer, just to here. I have posted in the Flare and TrekBBS forums. I haven't posted anything in Flare in a good 6 years and TrekBBs in well over a year.
Mikey wrote:I think the point is that there really is no alternative to underway refueling/resupply. The only other option would be to remove a ship from the fleet for days, weeks, or months to attend the nearest starbase - and taking a ship off the line during wartime for up to a month or more is no alternative at all.
I don't think the Galaxy class is equipped to refuel other ships, so you would have to take the class into drydock for a refit for that purpose alone. But once it's done, it's done. it also begs the question if every ship has the same connections.

Also, it's the 'fuel' just hard water devoid of all minerals? How hard would it to just transport it into the holds? Scotty did it with regular seawater and two whales.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

McAvoy wrote:I don't think the Galaxy class is equipped to refuel other ships, so you would have to take the class into drydock for a refit for that purpose alone. But once it's done, it's done. it also begs the question if every ship has the same connections.
I was talking about the ships getting refueled, not about fitting a GCS to be a tender.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Praeothmin »

What I'm wondering, reading the supply line posts, is why in heck would any ship even need to connect to another one?
What kind of supplys would not be able to be transported over to another ship?
Just get the supply ship within transporter range, and teleport anything needed.
Heck, that's how TNG showed us resupplying operations were like for colonies, so why would it even be different for ship to ship supplies?

Antimatter?
Ship over full pods and receive the empty ones.
Torpedoes?
Ship new, antimatter empty casings and there you go.
Raw material for replicators?
Deuterium?
Repair material?
Transport them all over the needing ship, and that's it.

Why make it more difficult then it needs to be?
The truth always depends on which side of the fence you're standing... ;)
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Because a lot of stuff is too unstable to transport - that stuff Data was shuttling over from Kivas Fajo's ship in The Most Toys for example.
Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Praeothmin »

Captain Seafort wrote:Because a lot of stuff is too unstable to transport - that stuff Data was shuttling over from Kivas Fajo's ship in The Most Toys for example.
Ah, but what was the stuff in question?
Was it some exotic "matter-of-the-week"?
The truth always depends on which side of the fence you're standing... ;)