What's the latest in people's lives?

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: What's the latest in people's lives?

Post by 00111010 01000100 »

I’m still stuck, working from home, in isolation from the public essentially. Debated painting the ceiling just so I can say that I’ve had more fun watching paint dry.

{{to be clear.. I look at the numbers of infected, recovered, and deaths of ppl in my state, country, and the world. I realize that I’m stuck at home because it’s due to the calamity occurring almost everywhere and I would NEVER make light of the deaths that have occurred. I’m merely trying to lighten the mood of what my own personal day-to-day life is like. It’s tragic and heartbreaking, the current events happening}}
“Pull a stunt like this again and I’ll court marshal you... or promote you. Either way you’ll be in big trouble”
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

00111010 01000100 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:02 am I’m still stuck, working from home, in isolation from the public essentially. Debated painting the ceiling just so I can say that I’ve had more fun watching paint dry.

{{to be clear.. I look at the numbers of infected, recovered, and deaths of ppl in my state, country, and the world. I realize that I’m stuck at home because it’s due to the calamity occurring almost everywhere and I would NEVER make light of the deaths that have occurred. I’m merely trying to lighten the mood of what my own personal day-to-day life is like. It’s tragic and heartbreaking, the current events happening}}
Eh, gallows humor's been a thing since forever. Don't feel too bad about it.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Graham Kennedy wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:57 am
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:05 pm
McAvoy wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:35 am

Best to watch Trek after several years. You may know the episode and how it ends but you forget alot of stuff in between.

Also got me thinking about the political situation since 2364 to 2377.

Now I am on Battlestar Galactica. I totally forgot how awesome the miniseries pilot was.
To this day the pilot's really the only episodes I've seen of the new Battlestar Galactica.
I really like it. One thing that always bothered me about the original series was that it never much felt like post-armageddon. These people were supposed to be on the edge of extinction, running for their lives, but you'd never guess from their day to day lives.

NuBSG goes, if anything, a bit over the top with showing that. These people's lives are grim, and you never forget it.
I don't think it's quite over the top IMO. To me it feels exactly how something like that would go in that scenario. The religious undertone though kinda takes that realism away though.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

After digging through my freezer and pantry, I realized I have all the makings (minus a couple small things) of a complete Thanksgiving meal.

So to relieve my intense boredom of making the same 3-5 meals over and over, I will turn April back into November and see what happens.

Heck, some places are putting up Christmas lights everywhere, to make the villagers happy and put down their pitchforks and torches.
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Yeah, I'm not fond of putting up Christmas lights.
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

T'Pau wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:28 pm After digging through my freezer and pantry, I realized I have all the makings (minus a couple small things) of a complete Thanksgiving meal.

So to relieve my intense boredom of making the same 3-5 meals over and over, I will turn April back into November and see what happens.

Heck, some places are putting up Christmas lights everywhere, to make the villagers happy and put down their pitchforks and torches.
That actually sounds like a pleasant idea! :) At least it will bring some joy into an otherwise humdrum routine.
Last edited by 00111010 01000100 on Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Pull a stunt like this again and I’ll court marshal you... or promote you. Either way you’ll be in big trouble”
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

I’m actually going back to work tomorrow. Wish me luck as I continue to check the worlds numbers and they’re showing no slowing :(
Going back to work, even for a 2-week on/2-week off rotation is still putting people at risk of infection and spreading the bug further. It’s a gov. thing so it’s not thought out but cannot be helped. Someone has to do it and while I view it as a very bad luck simulation of Russian roulette for catching covid, I also know that I’ll be limited to contact with only a few individuals (1-3 at minimum 4-5 at maximum) so my odds are lessoned and the subs and crews can still get some support from the civilian side while their ship is in our limited manning hands.

**add-on: and yet seeing the news that this week is supposed to be the next huge jump in numbers and infections (also that it’s been found to be re-introducing itself to animals again?), indicates it may be about to take a dramatic change. I hope it’s one of decreasing numbers but we should be prepared for the opposite as well).
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I got furloughed today. They are reducing manning for the company down to 30% full time and up to 70% part time. Turns out I am not part time.

Not looking forward to this as there is no timetable for when this will all end.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

I opted for leave today. I have enough for a week and a few days but after that, I’m either furloughed too or placed on black leave (unpaid leave) until I feel it’s safe to go back (or get so broke, I have no choice but to return).

Funny side story. There was some cable repair people working outside my apartment today and I could hear them talking about corona. One said he knew people who had gotten sick and they said it wasn’t anything unusual or bad. The other replied that his son had asthma so he didn’t want to risk getting the virus near himself or his family.

So my thoughts are still the same. The guy who’s gotten info of no worry is uninformed of just how deadly it can be from person-to-person and may have already come into contact with it at some point due to poor information from people who may or may not have had it. That’s to say, when anyone is diagnosed with the covid strain, they’re asked to quarantine themselves for up to 2-weeks. The people he sounds like he’s spoken with were not quarantined or didn’t follow the doctors advice.

The other guy, has a median understanding of the virus in regards to protecting his family but isn’t protecting himself that well (he had s simple carpenters dust mask for protection but not on his face, it was hanging from the rear view mirror of his van).

I was unsure of how bad this virus is until I had watched a neat little guy on YouTube who posted a knowledgeable but brief video about it 2-weeks ago. I saw it when it was posted and it kind of changed how I see this super bug/virus ((I call it such because it apparently is transitioning back to it origins in animals again and it’s altered it’s rna structure since then too.. damn pesky thing)) that turns your immune system against itself!?
****watching until just 5 minutes into the video is enough to learn about it, after that is the possible future consequences of an uncontrolled spread vs. controlled spread and standard info about pandemics***

Spreading to animals but if you read through the WHO website reports at the beginning of it, it (corona virus) came from animals (and reptiles).
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

So, while at work I was walking down the toilet-paper aisle when some guy started yelling right at me for being sold out. Said guy had about a foot of height on me and was built like a brick shithouse. I tried to say we were out and apologize, but he wasn't having any of it.

I do not need this. No one needs this.
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Did you point him towards the coffee filters or the garden hoses? You know, to be helpful!

This toilet paper shortage is insane. Read an article in the paper today, explaining why it is happening. Aside from people hoarding the stuff, the paper mill to store line of manufacturing is a well oiled machine. They make just the amount they feel will sell right away, and then continue to provide more. However, because it doesn't make them buckets of money, they don't over-produce and keep a stockpile. Costs more to store the stock than to make it, apparently. So lack of stockpile turns into crap pile for everyone, literally.

Keep your head up and your wits about you, and carry a frikken taser!
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:56 pm So, while at work I was walking down the toilet-paper aisle when some guy started yelling right at me for being sold out. Said guy had about a foot of height on me and was built like a brick shithouse. I tried to say we were out and apologize, but he wasn't having any of it.

Tell him the toilet bowl scrub brush works well. Make sure you point out the one that is most stiff.

My running joke I tell people if I run out of toilet paper I am putting a sponge on a stick like ancient Roman's did. Except I am not sharing mine.
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:56 pm So, while at work I was walking down the toilet-paper aisle when some guy started yelling right at me for being sold out. Said guy had about a foot of height on me and was built like a brick shithouse. I tried to say we were out and apologize, but he wasn't having any of it.

Sorry to hear that he was so rude, ppl are being so rude these days. There's no excuse for it, treating ppl who work in the stores like shit. Its not their fault that things are as they are.
lol, should've just explained to him to blame the internet for creating the TP scare, not your store.
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

McAvoy wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:44 am

Tell him the toilet bowl scrub brush works well. Make sure you point out the one that is most stiff.

My running joke I tell people if I run out of toilet paper I am putting a sponge on a stick like ancient Roman's did. Except I am not sharing mine.
Ahahahahahah..... EW
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

And... my work schedule is being changed. I shall now be working 9 PM to 6 AM, starting Wednesday night.

For the record, this is a legit good thing for me. I gt to avoid the crazies, who have been multiplying since the last idjit I talked about.