New RPG discussion.

Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Hoping we are talking about the same thing...Good point. And it would make sense that more than one person knows what to do with the Cloakind system.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Gunny's has experience in ops (obviously) as well as a service in what would be equivalent to mechanized infantry a/o armor, so he has some engineering skill as well.

And Jordanis makes a good point, but I think in the interest of the "flavor" of the new RPG we should try to keep it "just us" as much as possible. The engineering requirements of the ship would mostly be filled by the fact that everyone on board who can hold a wrench will be doing some form of maintenance most of the time - no matter what "title" they carry.

PS - Any thoughts on my idea of carrying 40 10-lb. guns?

Of course, if Seafort were here, he'd remind me that 40 cannon makes her a frigate, according to the spec of the 18th century British Navy...
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Mikey wrote:PS - Any thoughts on my idea of carrying 40 10-lb. guns?

Of course, if Seafort were here, he'd remind me that 40 cannon makes her a frigate, according to the spec of the 18th century British Navy...
You aren't serious are you? If we're talking about the old cannons then it would be very difficult. Loading the weapon, and other issues with gunpowder, and the fact that ships deflect things that heavy on a regular basis, I don't see any benefit, even if we could make it operational.

Although as an anti-personal weapon, it might work. I could create some sort of harness so I could carry a pair with some sort of taur-saddle. The recoil, and reloading might be an issue though...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Right, if I may make a stab at putting guns on Jordanis' ship:

Weapons systems are numbered. I would have colour coded them, but MS Paint is just showing colours as various shades of grey, for some reason....anyway:

1) Our Cardasian heavy phaser. (one)
2) 2 Photon torpedo tubes. (3 total, one on each side of the 'nose' and one at the rear, between the nacelles)
3) Standard phaser bank. (2 total, one on each side of the ship)
4) Turreted disruptor cannons. (4 total, 2 on top, 2 on bottom)

Well? Not overly powerful, but it still has quite a punch in it. What do you guys think?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Jordanis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jordanis »

Pretty good. That's exactly where I intended to stick the cardie phaser, for starters.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Really? Cool. And all along, I thought I was horribly mutilating your ship. :)
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I like it - very practical.

And I was really just kidding about the black-powder cannons.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Cool.
And I think we got that the cannon bit was a joke. :wink:
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

I approve of these weapon placement(oh, but the cardie super-phaser thingy is squarish, not lineish). Now what about the shuttlebay doors?

And I figured the canon thing was a joke. I just had the time to think about if it could work.
Jordanis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jordanis »

I'm still figuring on making the shuttlebay the entire top portion over the cargo area. That should be the right size to handle and maintain the enormous personal ships we've got here. :P
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I approve of these weapon placement(oh, but the cardie super-phaser thingy is squarish, not lineish).
Cool. As for the super-phaser, just use your imagination. :)
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

I'm sort of jumping in here, but I was wondering if you'd given any thought to how you want to run this thing.

There is the standard Trek format where the person playing the Captain and often the person playing the XO are also in control of the world PCs and typically the game involves them trying to keep everyone else busy while writing their story with their characters until one of the members goes rogue and the plot focuses on that.

Granted that works, and is very popular.

But long ago I was interested in running a game where there were some people who controlled the world who were not the captain, and there could be some chance involved. In fact those "demo fights" from a while back were demos of the very basic combat system I was planning to use and I just wanted to test it out.

I would think there should be multiple GMs since I'm pretty busy, but deepcrush seems interested (I was talking to him about starting one until I found this and realized you guys were planning a new game already).

Also out of curiosity how is the main game going?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

How we're doing it is the same way as we did the Daystrom RPG that's still in progress, just on a different ship. Given that this is a merc ship, there's going to be a less clearly defined chain of command and positions on the ship will generaly be filled by whoever can do the job.
We basicaly create our own character, then role-play them as best as possible. What the overall driving plot is has yet to be decided. Events are more character based, and we see how our characters react to various events and difficulties presented to them.
We've also managed to stay away from Mary-Sue type characters, so far, which is pretty nice.

If by "the main game" you mean the Daystrom RPG, then it's still going fairly strong. Though two of the characters (myself and Blackstar) have had quite a collision, and started the events that will eventualy lead to this spin-off.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

So it's a format where everybody controls everything except other peoples characters then?

Ah well.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Pretty much. Players can introduce NPCs and outside events, if they feel it will help the story along, or add something interesting as long as it stays within the realm of plausibliity. Given that this forum consists of mostly inteligent people, we haven't had as many problems with this system as you might think.