Info on the USS Kelvin

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Info on the USS Kelvin

Post by SuperSaiyaMan12 »

So what are the hypothosized strength indices for the Kelvin-class?

Beam Firepower :
Torpedo Firepower :
Weapon Range and Accuracy :
Shield Strength :
Hull Armour :
Speed :
Combat Manoeuvrability :
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Impossible.

The whole point of those numbers is that they are based off the strenght of the GCS. The Kelvin is a different universe with rather different scale and power.

You would have to start a whole new scale for the new universe, but we dont have enough example of powers to do that.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Teaos wrote:You would have to start a whole new scale for the new universe, but we dont have enough example of powers to do that.
That was my thought as well; we have no real frame of reference against 2300's tech, except the Narada. Which could be as powerful as a Borg Cube, or weaker than a runabout for all we know.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

We didnt really see that many weapons fire. And it was only against the Narada which has a totally unknown strenght as it is a century more advanced than the ships firing at it and possibly has Borg tech.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Teaos wrote:Impossible.

The whole point of those numbers is that they are based off the strenght of the GCS. The Kelvin is a different universe with rather different scale and power.

You would have to start a whole new scale for the new universe, but we dont have enough example of powers to do that.
The Kelvin is part of the PRIME universe as well as the alternate universe. It was the divergent point, remember?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Did we see it preform in the Prime universe? No? Cant judge it.

Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

SuperSaiyaMan12 wrote:The Kelvin is part of the PRIME universe as well as the alternate universe. It was the divergent point, remember?
Like I said, we didn't see it up against anything but the Narada, which we also have no point of reference for.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

exactly, so while it is part of the same time line as the GCS from TNG, we never saw it do anything against another ship from that timeline, leaving us no numbers to start with that we can then manipulate based on where it was better and where it was worse off.

Here's a scary thought, with the more militaristic side of Starfleet after the Kelvin attack, the GCS might actually be a true warship in this timeline.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

The GCS will never be built in its current configuration. Better battleships can be built and better explorers can be built.

Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

true.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Whilst we can't judge the Kelvin against anything we know, it is part of the preferred timeline; there's no reason why we can't at least speculate.

I tried to peg the specs as closer to the NX than the Constitution, on the grounds that the Kelvin was 1) an old design, and 2) not really a combat starship / explorer type as the NX/Connies were.

(And dammit, I only just noticed that I didn't set the strengthh figures to show up. Whoopsies.)
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Can't trust you to do anything right around here can we?

Pretty much all ship building is up in the air at this point. While it might be fun to do a JJ'd GCS or Sovereign, or Nebula...mmmm Nebula, there's no way of knowing if them or anything even remotely like them will be built.
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

GrahamKennedy wrote:Whilst we can't judge the Kelvin against anything we know, it is part of the preferred timeline; there's no reason why we can't at least speculate.

I tried to peg the specs as closer to the NX than the Constitution, on the grounds that the Kelvin was 1) an old design, and 2) not really a combat starship / explorer type as the NX/Connies were.

(And dammit, I only just noticed that I didn't set the strengthh figures to show up. Whoopsies.)
Honestly, both strength figures you put seeom a bit too low. Shouldn't the Kelvin-class have more firepower than the Vulcan ships that were from half a century before?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I've rated it somewhat low for a couple of reasons. The movie website calls it a survey vessel. It's not a warship nor an "Explorer". That idea is reinforced by the fact that it seems to lack torpedo launchers of any kind, and that it has a mucking great shuttle bay with at least 20 and possibly as many as 40 shuttles in it (we see 20 on screen at once, and the one Kirk's wife takes is referred to as "shuttle 37".)

And as I said, these looked like - and were referred to by the producers - as old ships. They aren't state of the art in 2233, they are more like state of the art in 2200.

I don't find it unreasonable that a state of the art survey ship in 2200 is somewhat weaker than a Vulcan combat cruiser of 50 years earlier. How would a modern day survey ship, even an armed one, fare against the Iowa? :) (I know, not a really valid comparison but it's funny)
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Beam Firepower : 60
Torpedo Firepower : 62.5
Weapon Range and Accuracy : 80
Shield Strength : 74.074
Hull Armour : 200.313
Speed : 267.338
Combat Manoeuvrability : 3500