SFdebris : Generations

The Next Generation
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Re: SFdebris : Generations

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Also, (yes I realize it's not canon but it was written kind of as a "bible" for the series so maybe the writers took some inspiration from there), according to the TNG Tech Manuel the saucer was meant to be landed after separation, essentially just like that minus the whole "tilted directly at the planet by an explosion" bit. If I recall the landing graphic correctly, it essentially involved plowing along the ground to a stop.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Sonic Glitch wrote:Also, (yes I realize it's not canon but it was written kind of as a "bible" for the series so maybe the writers took some inspiration from there), according to the TNG Tech Manuel the saucer was meant to be landed after separation, essentially just like that minus the whole "tilted directly at the planet by an explosion" bit. If I recall the landing graphic correctly, it essentially involved plowing along the ground to a stop.
In an age where man has made gravity his bitch, a crash n drag landing is suppose to be the standard operational approach? Seriously?
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Tsukiyumi wrote:I'd like to point out once again that the torpedoes they were firing looked an awful lot like the ones the Negh'var blasted DS9's shields down with in Way of the Warrior.

Not really saying that for any reason other than: they may be some more advanced type, which would at least help to explain why the E-D got hammered so badly.
The Negh'var used her heavy disrupter cannons, not torps to break DS9's shields.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Lighthawk wrote:
Sonic Glitch wrote:Also, (yes I realize it's not canon but it was written kind of as a "bible" for the series so maybe the writers took some inspiration from there), according to the TNG Tech Manuel the saucer was meant to be landed after separation, essentially just like that minus the whole "tilted directly at the planet by an explosion" bit. If I recall the landing graphic correctly, it essentially involved plowing along the ground to a stop.
In an age where man has made gravity his bitch, a crash n drag landing is suppose to be the standard operational approach? Seriously?
Ah, here it is. Page 32

{Edit} And now the link... http://www.scribd.com/doc/17602666/Star ... -182-Pages :oops:
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Sonic Glitch wrote:
Lighthawk wrote:
Ah, here it is. Page 32

{Edit} And now the link... http://www.scribd.com/doc/17602666/Star ... -182-Pages :oops:
Well the work filters are throwing a hissy fit about that link, so I'll just take your word for it. And that's just embarrassing. Even the most basic shuttle pod, little more than a box with an engine, can both hover and produce it's own gravity inside said box. And the plan for a detached Galaxy Saucer is to preformed what is basically a controlled crash landing?
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Lighthawk wrote:
Sonic Glitch wrote:
Lighthawk wrote: In an age where man has made gravity his bitch, a crash n drag landing is suppose to be the standard operational approach? Seriously?
Ah, here it is. Page 32

Well the work filters are throwing a hissy fit about that link, so I'll just take your word for it. And that's just embarrassing. Even the most basic shuttle pod, little more than a box with an engine, can both hover and produce it's own gravity inside said box. And the plan for a detached Galaxy Saucer is to preformed what is basically a controlled crash landing?
Well, I suppose ideally it's more of a gentle gliding landing.... Check it at home then :poke:
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

We of course are talking the difference between a shuttle that is designed to land like that on a regular basis vs. a component of a starship that is a million tons heavier.

It is possible that the explosion damaged the impulse drive and the thrusters were not able to fix the trajectory problem. That's the way I was looking at it. They were doing fine until the stardrive section exploded and then damaged the saucer by the explosion. Causing the saucer to basically fall to the planet.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

But why would the plan to be to land? The Saucer can act as a self contained vessel - granted it can't get anywhere very fast but it can presumably operate in space for weeks if needed - wouldn't it have been better be to put it in orbit? (assuming the engines are strong enough, would take to math to figure) -the saucer section itself could always be reused with another Stardrive section.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Didn't seem all that long since the rescue flotilla led by the Farragut to get there, either.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Deepcrush wrote:The Negh'var used her heavy disrupter cannons, not torps to break DS9's shields.
I'd say it's both, really.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_hZpEve6jI

Watch at 1:54 or so, when the Negh'var turns; it fires heavy disruptors, and green torpedoes.

Here at 0:20; it looks damned similar to me. (sorry about the German)

My theory: some kind of heavy photon. Maybe a response to the Federation's Quantums.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

If that's the case, why would Lursa and B'etor have access to the most cutting edge mil-spec but still have to fly around in the equivalent of a 1972 AMC Pacer?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mikey wrote:If that's the case, why would Lursa and B'etor have access to the most cutting edge mil-spec but still have to fly around in the equivalent of a 1972 AMC Pacer?
:lol:

Maybe they were just able to get ahold of a few torps, and just added them to their existing arsenal. All, speculation, of course, but everyone must admit that it's a bit odd to see green torpedoes coming from both ships.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
Deepcrush wrote:The Negh'var used her heavy disrupter cannons, not torps to break DS9's shields.
I'd say it's both, really.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_hZpEve6jI

Watch at 1:54 or so, when the Negh'var turns; it fires heavy disruptors, and green torpedoes.

Here at 0:20; it looks damned similar to me. (sorry about the German)

My theory: some kind of heavy photon. Maybe a response to the Federation's Quantums.
I have to say I disagree on that one. I can only see the heavy disruptors (the big ass green/yellow/whatever the colour flashy things) firing. I might have missed the torpedoes, the green spectrum is the colour I find hardest to see with colour blindness, but I can't see any torpedoes.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Regardless of the power of the Klingon Weapons, the Enterprise should have fired more then one Phaser blast. We've seen what the Enterprise D can do in combat - I reckon all Phasers firing at once and a volley of Torpedoes would have finished that ship off easily.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Sorry Tsu, I saw two Vorcha firing their main cannon and the Negh'var firing those super heavies. No torps on the screen.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu