Star Trek XI

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs

Do you think that it's a good idea for Trek XI to be set in TOS era?

Yes, it's a good a time as any.
11%
No, it should have been set in some other period.
26%
I'll watch it before I pass judgement.
57%
They should stop making Star Trek for a while.
6%

Total votes: 53
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Star Trek XI

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Ya...they made a movie about it right?
Unfortunately, yes.

Personaly, I prefered Tora, Tora, Tora! to that Hollywood crap version we got a few years ago.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I pray that you're just trying to be funny. However, considering the tremendous loss of lives and the emotions thus engendered - to this day, survivors of the Arizona are commonly cremated upon their deaths and have their remains taken by Navy divers to rest with thier comrades aboard their ship - it's not really a great topic about which to joke.

Now, did you really believe that I meant a place called "Peral Harbor" rather than much more likely event of a simple typographical error?

BTW - Tora, Tora, Tora was an absolute classic.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mikey wrote:I pray that you're just trying to be funny. However, considering the tremendous loss of lives and the emotions thus engendered - to this day, survivors of the Arizona are commonly cremated upon their deaths and have their remains taken by Navy divers to rest with thier comrades aboard their ship - it's not really a great topic about which to joke.

Now, did you really believe that I meant a place called "Peral Harbor" rather than much more likely event of a simple typographical error?

BTW - Tora, Tora, Tora was an absolute classic.
All that is true Mikey but do you honestly expect everyone in your country to have reverance to the day and it's symbolism? WWII is passing out of living memory (and that is unfortunate) and will some be nothing but a historical low point in American history.

And yes Tora, Tora, Tora is a classic and a masterfully made film.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

All that is true Mikey but do you honestly expect everyone in your country to have reverance to the day and it's symbolism? WWII is passing out of living memory (and that is unfortunate) and will some be nothing but a historical low point in American history.
*sigh* Why is it that people that live in countries that had no part in the Pearl Harbour attack not only know all about the incident, but also observe it with far more respect than the majority of the inhabitants of that country?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

How is WW2 a low point for the US? That makes no sense at all. The US funded a world war, fought against the Empire of Japan, NAZI Germany and Italy plus became a world super power, ended the great depression and built friendships with other nations that last until this very day.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Rochey wrote: *sigh* Why is it that people that live in countries that had no part in the Pearl Harbour attack not only know all about the incident, but also observe it with far more respect than the majority of the inhabitants of that country?
Because the avergae citizen of any country is a boob.
How is WW2 a low point for the US? That makes no sense at all. The US funded a world war, fought against the Empire of Japan, NAZI Germany and Italy plus became a world super power, ended the great depression and built friendships with other nations that last until this very day.
The Pearl Harbour ambush was a low point, not the whole war. :roll:
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Because, to put it simply, the US got kicked in the balls while it wasn't looking and lost many good men and women that day, along with being dragged into a war that would cause the deaths of even more.
Of course, the US joining the war did eventualy work out for the greater good for all those involved (well, except the Nazis and Japanese, of course), but that doesn't stop December 7th being one hell of a bad day.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Rochey wrote:
*sigh* Why is it that people that live in countries that had no part in the Pearl Harbour attack not only know all about the incident, but also observe it with far more respect than the majority of the inhabitants of that country?
Depends on where you live. Dec 7th here (where I live) is still met with half mast and prayer. Though, I know of someplace on the west coast that down played it to avoid problems for the asian population.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The Pearl Harbour ambush was a low point, not the whole war. :roll:
I wouldn't count that as a low point. It was a day that brought the nation together more so then anyother time in history.
Because, to put it simply, the US got kicked in the balls while it wasn't looking and lost many good men and women that day, along with being dragged into a war that would cause the deaths of even more.
We planned on joining the war anyways, this just made it happen sooner then the US had planned for.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I think you misunderstand what we're saying:
While the consequences of the attack on Pearl Harbour did, in the end, work out for the better for both the US and Europe, it's considered a tradgedy due to the fact that they lost around 2,500 people.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Ah, I thought you guys were talking about a low point for the nation. Not just a tragic day.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Deepcrush wrote:Ah, I thought you guys were talking about a low point for the nation. Not just a tragic day.
Nope.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Deep - I'm sure Kendall meant, as Rochey said, that the "low point" was the tragic and unexpected loss of lives.

Rochey - to answer your question: because people suck. We are more concerned in education with lowering standards in an attempt to be "fair" and in order to provide results compliant with "No Child Left Behind (or properly educated)" than in actually teaching kids what's what. Just using WWII as an example: by the time I was a freshman in high school, I could identify Claire Chennault, "Vinegar" Joe Stilwell, James Doolittle, the island of Guadalcanal, Mt. Suribachi, Erwin Rommel, etc., etc. Now, we have kids who don't even know who Winston Churchill was. :roll:
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Now, we have kids who don't even know who Winston Churchill was
Please tell me you're joking.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

If that made you sad, this'll make you cry: there are kids IN ENGLAND who don't know specifically (by more than just name) who Winston Churchill was.
as Bull offed Custer