The Future of the Romulan Empire

The Next Generation
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: The Future of the Romulan Empire

Post by stitch626 »

McAvoy wrote:I agree. But for some reason if we go by registry, Excelsiors were being built well into the mid 24th century. Hell the 42xxx ones, could be newer than the Ambassador class. But that is of course if the registries are going in chronological order. So the Lakota could be only 30 or 40 years old.
Its quite possible that some were recommissioned (with new name and registry) when the war broke out.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

McAvoy wrote:I agree. But for some reason if we go by registry, Excelsiors were being built well into the mid 24th century. Hell the 42xxx ones, could be newer than the Ambassador class. But that is of course if the registries are going in chronological order. So the Lakota could be only 30 or 40 years old.
That would mean that the Excelsior Class was build for a long time and of course the Excelsior itself would be different (at least in the inside) than the last of its class, we know that there are at leats 2 different types. So not all of the excelsiors have the same capabilities and i would expect that in time, the oldest ones should have been upgratted to match the newest ones.

The same would apply for other classes built for a long time, maybe the Miranda or the Oberth.
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I agree on a logical principle, there were likely numerous unit runs with upgrades here or there. However, we have seen no evidence of any of the aforementioned designs having multiple runs. We cannot simply decide that its the logical thing to do, and say that it because of that.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Reliant121 wrote:I agree on a logical principle, there were likely numerous unit runs with upgrades here or there. However, we have seen no evidence of any of the aforementioned designs having multiple runs. We cannot simply decide that its the logical thing to do, and say that it because of that.
Well... there is no point of debating anything then is there? :P

It all depends on how the registries are viewed. Are they in chronological order similar to Buno numbers for US aircraft? Or is it something totally unrelated. it isn't that uncommon to use an older design for mass production. Though on top of my head I cannot think of any new build ships or aircraft based on a older design forty or fifty years before. The next best would be the the USN super carriers especially the Nimitz class which has spanned over thirty years.

We do know that registry is tied to the ship's name. Which is why we occasionally hear someone calling the ship's name followed by the ship's registry.

The non canon TNG TM has six original build Galaxy class ships being built with a further six being built to state where they are disassembled then can be reassembled. There are more than nine Galaxy class ships in Starfleet, because of the fleet scenes in DS9. That implies a second or even third run of Galaxy class ships being built. I highly doubt the remaining nine ships are focused on only one front.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Reliant121 wrote:Upgrading an Excelsior on the go, fine. But I seriously doubt you could do anything more than a few software upgrades, and a few basic hull changes, but anything that changes weapons or the structure, I imagine, would require a spacedock.
Most certainly. But then maybe it is worth it? I view those ships similar to my computer case bought odd 10 years ago. It started with iirc a 700Mhz processor and maybe 512mb ram etc. Years later it has seen about 4-5 graphic card updates, 2-3mainboard/processor changes, hd-drive-updates etc. yet it still looks exactly like the computer I bought 10 years ago on the outside. Never saw the need to buy a new computer housing.

Sure, things change and sooner or later there will be new standards etc. but what is a ship else than a plattform to transport equipment into space? And looking at all the master system display of the ships it is clear that almost nothing changed on the ships during all of trek. All carry basically the same equipment which is roughly the same in proportion to the rest of the ship during all centuries. (The only exception I can think of are the different sized nacelles and maybe phaserstripes).

So maybe those "old" Excelsiors are not as good as the latest top of the line models (as can be expected) but imho they are not so far behind that they stop beeing useful and worth of upgrades. (at least during the tng/ds9 era)
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

You assume that all those components are modular, as they are in a desktop PC. I was always under the impression that warpcores, their management system, weapons, sensors, nav deflectors etc. were all built into the ship. Which would make it much more challenging to alter them.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Plus you have to remember that we aren't talking about moving stuff from one side of a computer box to the other. We're talking about running cables, gens, relays, etc through an entire ship that is the size of a super carrier.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

McAvoy wrote:We do know that registry is tied to the ship's name.
It isn't actually - the Enterprise is unusual in that respect, as we've seen other ships with the same name but different registry numbers (USS Hood, NCC-1703 and NCC-42296, USS Defiant, NCC-1764 and NX-74205 and USS Excalibur NCC-1664 and NCC-26517, to give three examples).
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The Enterprise is the flagship of the fleet. Her name and number are a point of pride and memory for Starfleet. Where changing things about less important ships isn't such a big deal. Changing ANYTHING of your most famous vessel would almost be a crime. Its more likely then not, a PR/Moral issue then anything else.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Deepcrush wrote:The Enterprise is the flagship of the fleet. Her name and number are a point of pride and memory for Starfleet.
Well you are right, at least from our point of view. But you might look also a bit different at this, the original Enterprise spent the remainder of her day as a schooling ship training cadets, the E-A wasn't a top ship (even if we assume she was a complete new ship, Excelsiors were already available), the E-B we know almost nothing about and the E-C was destroyed defending an outpost in 2344. And here is the kicker, it took Starfleet almost 20 years to come up with another Enterprise and the Flagship of the Fleet (if such a thing really exist) most have been another ship.

So maybe there isn't as much glamour attached to the name as we all believe in universe.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I would've loved it if other ships did the same thing, like the Defiant.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

I keep thinking about Admiral Nakamuru's comment in "Measure of a Man", that every Enterprise in the last 500 years has become a legend, including the Enterprise D. What had the Enterprise D done to become a legend so early in her life?

Well actually, there was the first encounter with the Borg, Q, Ferengi, and saving the Federation from an alien conspiracy..

Maybe the Enterprise A was just given the registry NCC-1701-A out of respect to Kirk and to its famous predecessor, and the tradition just stuck with whatever powers that dish out names and registries.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

Mark wrote:Back to the UFP vs Klingons, there is something that bothers me.

Due to Qs brief statement concerning the Klingons defeat by the Fed we thus conclude the Klingons lost that one. Now, in the alternate timeline of Yesterday's Enterprise, the Klingons had the Federation on the ropes and already thinking of surrender. How the HELL did they manage to get so powerful with Starfleet on an extended wartime footing?

Was it the alliance with the Federation that fundementally weakened the Klingon Empire?
Maybe the KE is not stronger in YE timeline but the UFP is weaker.

Think about it. With an ongoing war against a powerful enemy wouldn't be many resources for the exploration of the galaxy and to make friends. So, some if not many of the members and allies of the main timeline federation wouldn't have been contacted and even if they were contacted it's less likely they would want to be members or allies of this federation.

Other thing is the UFP in main timeline fought at least 2 wars/conflicts in this period; against the cardassians and against the talarians, there is also the war with the tzenkethi though i don't know when was it. The point is that some of this wars could have also happened in YE timeline diverting resources from the klingon front.
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Captain Seafort wrote:
McAvoy wrote:We do know that registry is tied to the ship's name.
It isn't actually - the Enterprise is unusual in that respect, as we've seen other ships with the same name but different registry numbers (USS Hood, NCC-1703 and NCC-42296, USS Defiant, NCC-1764 and NX-74205 and USS Excalibur NCC-1664 and NCC-26517, to give three examples).
You didn't understand what I meant. Just like today where the USS Enterprise has the hull number CVN-65, the Enterprise also had CV-6 for example. But they all had their names tied to their hull numbers. Names may have changed around, but hull numbers always remained the same. Doesn't mean of course it applies to Star Trek.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

CV became CVN when they added Night Time Operations.