Star Wars - Death Star

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Star Wars christmas special...
Do not mention that again!

:P
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Problewm with dismissing the Christmas special is it introed Boba Fett, Chewie's entire family... well, immediate family.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Pfft, none of them really matter. They can be given intos in much better material. :P
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Sadly, with current canon policy... they count. *Headdesk*
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

*sigh* I know. :(
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Rochey wrote:*sigh* I know. :(
Tell me about it... *Commiserates with Rochey* I can name a metric ton of stuff that should be jettisoned posthaste.
Enkidu
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Enkidu »

I was under the impression that The Holiday Special (which I've never seen) was the first example of GL attempting to air brush something from the history of Star Wars..... Is it now considered canon?
I find a lot about SW these days, which was a pretty major factor in my childhood, is pushing me towards at least indifference, if not outright dislike of the whole thing.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I think Lucas admitted it was pathetic, but I believe it's still part of the official canon. As far as I know, the only thing that doesn't fall within one of the many canon levels is the Infinities books.

And I have to agree with you on the state of the EU. Some of the original stuff was quite good, and you can still find a few gems among the new stuff. However, the sheer crap of it is overwhelming. Between the moronic crap of the New Republic era, and Travis' idiocy with the Clone Wars, it's nigh on impossible to find anything good these days.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Yeah, i was on another site and apparently its a big split in EU officers over the grand vs minimalistic authors. Some authors point out that armies of trillions are needed. Others say only a few million. I for one perfer the trillions upon trillions. You need millions of battle droids per world. Not one per six worlds...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

The problem is that minimalists are far more common in the EU than those with a more realistic sense of scale. Traviss is only unusual in that she goes out of her way to try and rationalise her numbers rather than simply letting the matter slide. Even Zahn, among the best of the EU authors, described an ISD as the strongest of the Empire's ships and had 200 ships significantly affect the strategic balance of the Galaxy. Stackpole routinely had small groups of starfighters take on capital ships (including an Executor once) and win.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Well, I can forgive Zahn as he's actualy a good writer.
Stackpole, on the other hand.....
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

I've always quite liked Stackpole's novels - other than his extreme minimalism I can't really see why people dislike him so much. He isn't the best writer in the world, but he's a very long way from being the worst.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

He's an alright writer. It's the fighter wank that annoys me.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Rochey wrote:He's an alright writer. It's the fighter wank that annoys me.
While that can get a bit extreme (especially when it gets to the stage of a dozen X-wings and a few freighters taking down an SSD), the books are written from the point of view of a bunch of fighter pilots. They're not exactly the most unbiased of characters, so most of the fighter-wank can be brushed off as character-bias rather author-bias (with a bit of effort I admit).
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

True, that would explain some of the more......outragous instances.