Enterprise J

Enterprise
The Wormhole
Ensign
Ensign

Post by The Wormhole »

That isn't the same ship at all. Out of curiosity, where did you get that picture?
Putting the manatee back in humanity.
DarkOmen
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkOmen »

It was on the cover of one of the Star trek ship books... dont remember the title offhand, but ill try to find out.

EDIT: It was Ships Of The Line in 2006 and according to it, that is the Enterprise J... must be some early design or concept.
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Varthikes »

Teaos wrote:I Hate it.

It looks less advanced than the E and it doesnt fit the time line.

This ship is several centuries more advanced than anything we have ever seen (apart from the wells) and it looks like the original enterprise. Also I know we dont have a scale but it also looks to be pretty averaged sized.

I have always preferred the bigger ships. But then again it was only a passing image so we can't get too annoyed about it.
Why do ships need to be bigger as they get more advanced?

Defiant, Intrepid, Akira, and other such ships of the 2370s weren't all that big.

If the Enterprise kept getting bigger as they progressed through the alphabet, by the time you reach Z, you'd have something like the Super Star Destroyer for the Enterprise.
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Fed engineering seems to hit its limit at the Galaxy class. I don't think we've seen any ship bigger than that.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

IIRC, the Sovereign is slightly bigger.

It makes you wonder what a pure-bred Federation warship would look like...
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Sovereign is slightly longer, but it's less than half the volume of a Galaxy.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Rochey wrote:It makes you wonder what a pure-bred Federation warship would look like...
We've seen a pure-bred Federation warship - small, highly manoeuverable, with a fixed-axis forward armament. The Defiant
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Ok, Galaxy it is.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

I don't see why they couldn't build bigger, they just haven't. It doesn't mean that the engineering is incapable of building big, but it does imply that there are certain disadvantages to size (less maneuverability, slower, bigger target, etc.)

Look at sailboats/tall ships. The very fastest yachts today are much smaller than clipper ships. They are more efficient, and there are advantages to be gained there from being smaller (speed, etc.). That doesn't mean we can't or will never again build a large tall ship.

Another reason for the reversal of the "big ship" trend might be the Dominion War. In an effort to field as many ships as possible, perhaps Starfleet focused on building smaller ships which were easier/faster to build. If in the future the Federation ever produced a new class of explorer (and not counting the Luna class), it could well be bigger.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Jean-Luc Picard, quoting judge Aaron Satie
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

We've seen a pure-bred Federation warship - small, highly manoeuverable, with a fixed-axis forward armament. The Defiant
That was more of a small gunship, I meant something like a battleship. If it was the mirror universe they'd be all over the place.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Rochey wrote:That was more of a small gunship, I meant something like a battleship. If it was the mirror universe they'd be all over the place.
It depends on your philosophy - do you build lots of small ships that are difficult to hit, or a few big'uns that can take a lot of punishment.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It would pretty much depend on who you think you'll face, I guess.
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

This component of ship design is probably dependent on the situation and mission requirements. It is probably also an exercise in trying to cram the required capabilities into the most efficient package.

There are a few things that could be classed battleships in Trek, (the Dominion battleship obviously, Negh'Var, etc.) Mostly, though, we see the equivalent of destroyers, cruisers, and battlecruisers, which balance firepower with speed, maneuverability, and other capabilities.

In Trek, in general the sweet spot regarding size seems to be a mid-sized ship. Fighters CAN be effective, but generally cannot carry weapons that would be a significant threat to a capital ship. If they were, you would actually see a lot more fighters and carriers. We don't, so I assume that fighters are used only in specialized situations. Likewise, damage resistance doesn't really improve enough with size to make a huge and ungainly battleship very effective either. The result is a whole lot of ships in the middle; big enough to carry heavy weapons, small enough to not present such a massive target. Remember in general how maneuverable even 400 meter ships are in the show!
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Good points.
I still want to see a Federation battleship though! :)
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

It might look something like the Excalibur from Bridge Commander...
I also saw a pretty amazing design from "The Red Admiral" back before the Titan design winner was announced. (It was too big to enter the contest, 900 meters or more. A very cool design. Sorry I can't be more specific, I can't remember the URL off the top of my head.