Re: Minecraft

Post by Tyyr »

BigJKU316
Captain
Captain
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by BigJKU316 »

I am almost afraid to download this game as I tend to be a somewhat obsessive tinkerer at times.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Oh come on you pansy, do it.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Can you blow stuff up after you build it? If so I may actually buy this since I love building stuff.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Yup, there is tnt in the game. In fact there are quite a lot of vids on YouTube of it. Search "minecraft tnt" and you'll find plenty. I'm building a mob farm specifically so I can get a steady supply of mats to make tnt with so I can start playing around with cannons.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

I will definitely be looking into it then. It sounds like it would be awesome.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

£16 to £20. Hmmm, seems worth it to me. Anybody know the specs?
Bite my shiny metal ass
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Pretty damn low. My laptop with onboard graphics and 4 gigs of RAM runs it just fine.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Tried to download the free copy and it wouldn't work. Guess I'll just have to pass.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

How so? Wouldn't let you play or wouldn't run?

Finished my mob farm, and of course forgot to take screenshots of my finishing it, putting in the canals, and everything else.

But I have some shots of it in action.

Four Creepers at once going up in flames.

The lava guillotine itself.

My first haul out of it from AFK'ing at the outlet I designed.

Total for 3 hours:
211 Sulphur
287 Arrows
192 Feathers
290 Bones
33 String

803 Drops in 3 hours. Not too shabby since all I have to do is stand at the end of the farm and let the rewards just float to me. One thing I did notice though is that spiders because of the way they get into the guillotine tend to toss their string up farther into the kill zone thereby incinerating it and only drop it down about once every 6 to 8 times. Kind of sucks but then again, how much string do I really need?
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

My mob farm is now completely covered in dirt which anecdotally appears to have increased it's production rate by about 50%. Old fort completely leveled and for some reason all my food and an immense collection of bones have disappeared. Finally, my gatehouse is under construction. Now that I have the pattern down for building like this I can lay down several thousand blocks in an hour.

I'm thinking of modifying it slightly so that I have a drawbridge with a small pond under it.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Been looking into this, very impressive what people do, for you to do that solo is impressive, most people work in team servers.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I wouldn't mind working on a team server but my biggest concern is griefers. Imagine building something like this castle then the next night you come back and some asshole's bot has tore it down to the ground and built a giant dick statue in it's place. If I can find a good group to play with that has a protected server I'll probably join up just to enjoy doing stuff like this with a group. Here's hoping Dakka gets an SMP server.

Progress!

My walls are complete, so is my gatehouse and my drawbridge.

A few cosmetic details to fix like the lower portions of the walls still being fill dirt but I'll take care of that tonight. Mind you the walls are only structurally done. I still have to redo the anti-spider ledges and install the crenellations in smooth stone. I need to bust up the cobblestone floors in the towers and go back with wood. Just some general improvements to make everything look better before I get started on the keep.

Ohh, and proof of how thick my walls are:

Finally, just had this floating around, my tree farm pre-planting. It's not huge but it produces between 8 and 9 stacks of wood each harvest. 2300+ wood planks per harvest isn't bad.

Tried out the bed last night. While I like the piece of furniture skipping night just felt like cheating.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Link

This is a good crowd to work with. A great server and i know a lot of the guys for years although <i havent had a lot to do witht them since starting on ship. If you want to join them they do massive projects and also have a 'town' area where they build castles, pirate ships and fortresses ect.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.