UCS Kororra

Graham's Coalition Universe stuff
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Sounds like these Tain have a fair bit of Starship Troopers inspired thinking behind them.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

That's one reason I don't want them to be insects.

I'm thinking perhaps aquatic, or possibly avians. That hasn't been done so much.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I'm also trying to think of a method of communication that would be utterly alien, and virtually impossible to translate into anything intelligible. I am thinking that what the Tain use as language might consist of a mix of speech, an element of touch and gestures, and a complex mix of scent molecules that are released. Building up any kind of dictionary might easily be a practical impossibility when a word can mean something completely different depending on the exact combination of scents the speaker is emitting.

Or I might have them talk a language that is easily translateable... but just have their method of thinking be completely different so that what comes out sounds like gibberish.

None of the above is original, of course. And true originality is not really required, but I would like to at least put a bit of an original spin on it at least.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Wow. Normally I have some pithy comment about WHY I like your designs, but in this case, just... wow. Not only do you have a 2km-long gun, but you have a gun with an explanation of why it's 2km long.

And I really like (although appreciate might be a better word than "like") the idea of an enemy whose thought processes are so different to humanity's that any hope of coexistence - or even negotiating a truce or surrender - is out of the question.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

The big gun looks like it would need extra support holding it on. If it is really that big it would have rather large force apon it.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

There isn't that much force on it, actually. The drive systems are non-newtonian for the most part, so there's not a lot of acceleration on the ship when it moves around. The darker lumps you see top and bottom are recoil compensation devices that come into play when it fires. The ships also suffer from considerably reduced manouverability and speed when they have these things attached, which is another reason why they aren't carried that often.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Makes sense. Now if only you were a Trek writer...
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Quick impression of a PBC firing.

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Out of curiousity, do you envisage the weapons discharges from your ships being in the visible spectrum? Given their nature of most of them as M/AM "packets", and the fact that they travel at several thousand times lightspeed, I assumed that an observer would merely see their effects, rather than the shots themselves.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

For the AMP cannon, I was thinking that the jacketing energies around the AMP rounds might be visible. But I would hate the "beam moving slowly" that so much sci-fi does. I was watching The Terminator the other day and they did beam weapons that took no visible time at all to travel; they simply appeared, then faded out. That's the kind of thing I envisage.

The PBC beams are slightly different since they are not M/AM rounds but an energy beam. I am figuring that they would be something like standard EM... gamma rays maybe since they would convert to heat nicely when they hit a planet. I'm undecided on whether to have them jacketed or not, though. I kind of like the idea of it being a fairly short range weapon...

Still a few issues to think through here.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

When you say "short range" do you mean they actually have to be in the same solar system as the planet they're blowing up. :o :wink:
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Captain Seafort wrote:When you say "short range" do you mean they actually have to be in the same solar system as the planet they're blowing up. :o :wink:
Yes indeed. That's practically point blank range by Coalition standards.

I have a conversion ratio I use for speeds and ranges....

2000 light hours = 1 nautical mile.

So 1 light year = 4.38 nautical miles.

A Kororra has a speed of 45,000 x c, which is equivalent to 22.5 knotts.

On that scale, firing from one light hour away is like a ship sailing up to within about a yard to fire at you! :)
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

GrahamKennedy wrote:2000 light hours = 1 nautical mile.

So 1 light year = 4.38 nautical miles.

So most battles would take place at ranges around 2-3 ly? Very impressive.
On that scale, firing from one light hour away is like a ship sailing up to within about a yard to fire at you!
Which would really ruin your day. :)
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Since I envisage this being in a print medium, I don't really go for the fast, dogfighting battle style that dominates movies and TV. Fighter combat would be like that, but in terms of ships slugging it out we are talking more like a WWII deal... battles that spread over a day or more, ships taking anything from minutes to hours to sail into range and maneuver for position.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

But once one of these ships got a single hit on them wouldnt it pretty much be party over since these guns are so powerful?
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.