Species?

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Just a thought. Even if the universe was 'seeded' by this older alien race, wouldn't the various races have evolved to the point where they are new species?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tiberius
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tiberius »

Not if there was an extinction event.

Anyway, they might have evolved into the Q or something.

Or the Founders. :P
Go and read my fan fic "The Hansen Diaries"! And leave comments!
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

Rochey wrote:Just a thought. Even if the universe was 'seeded' by this older alien race, wouldn't the various races have evolved to the point where they are new species?
Oh, maybe. Probably. I suppose however that the common genetic background might make it just possible for advanced medicine to allow interspecies mating. :?:
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Jean-Luc Picard, quoting judge Aaron Satie
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

*sigh*
Is it too much to ask the makers of sci-fi to have just a little basic knowledge about science and biology?
Or the Founders.
Now that would be irony!
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Humans and Dolphines are 99% the same yet we have no chance of mating with them. So the chances of us doing it with a Romulan is slim to none.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tiberius
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tiberius »

Rochey wrote:
Or the Founders.
Now that would be irony!
What I was going for! :D
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

You did it well. :)

Is it just me or is it a bit annoying that most of the disscusions on this forum are caused by the writters not having a clue? :?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

With something as complex as trek it would be hard not to screw up. The writers have to have original plots that don't contradict anything in the past.

I'm suprised it doesnt happen more often. Only a few times it has been really bad.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I suppose you're right. It just bugs me.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

It's no better or worse than anything else. WE'RE just so fanatical that we notice every little thing, and then spend our time discussing it. :wink:
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
I Am Spartacus
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by I Am Spartacus »

Technically, species become separate species from one another when they evolve to the point that they lose the ability to interbreed. Thusly, if they really can interbreed, regardless of the medical mumbojumbo involved, they're not different species.
Tiberius
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tiberius »

Bryan Moore wrote:At least it's within reason. There's been nothing too ridiculous or improbable. I'll start complaining when I see 8472 and Ferengi crossbreed or Jem'Hadar and an Ewok. Whoops wrong universe.
lol @ little furry drug addicts who can turn invisible and beat you to death.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Rochey wrote:You did it well. :)

Is it just me or is it a bit annoying that most of the disscusions on this forum are caused by the writters not having a clue? :?
Yeahhh, I think this too. But could you imagine how annoying it would be if they were all nitpickers and Trek junkies like us =) And Graham would have had 2 people register for the forums.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

If you didn't have mixed-race characters with a cultural conflict going on, they might actually have to use some creative writing skills to add depth to their characters - the horror!
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yeahhh, I think this too. But could you imagine how annoying it would be if they were all nitpickers and Trek junkies like us =)
I'm not asking for every little flaw to be corrected, it just annoys me when they make major screwups that could be avoided by just asking someone with moderate intelligence.
But then the writters would have to be smart to do that. :roll: