Harry Potter part 7, part 1

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Re: Harry Potter part 7, part 1

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Saw it, liked it. It may actually be the best film done by this director (he started with 5 yes?). And it's actually more impressive than you'd think for "Harry Hermione and Ron Go Camping"
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Foxbat
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Foxbat »

Look, I'll make this easy. HP7p1 is: Cool stuff in the beginning, then 'Let's go camping [gag]', then cool stuff, then foreshadowing for last movie. The End.
"Nothing is more Airwolf than Airwolf!" http://www.ernestcline.com/spokenword/airwolf.htm
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Foxbat wrote:Look, I'll make this easy. HP7p1 is: Cool stuff in the beginning, then 'Let's go camping [gag]', then cool stuff, then foreshadowing for last movie. The End.
Which is also what the book is... ;)
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
shran
Commander
Commander

Post by shran »

Yet they managed to do that surprisingly well. Also, there were some genuinely moving scenes, especially in the opening. I especially liked that last look in the cupboard, with the little figurines in almost the same position as they were left in the first film.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

Went to see it yesterday. Had a lot of fun with it, can't wait for the last installment.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Saw this today, and have to say I was impressed. Probably the most faithful adaptation of the books since the original movie, and it was properly dark. I mean really dark and creepy. This would give kids nightmares. Having read the books I can't say this for certain, but I think they did a good job of presenting the story for those who haven't read the books, while throwing in some nice unimportant bonus stuff for those who have. They managed to work in a bit of humor to help keep the mood from becoming totally overwhelmingly depressing too. They did have one scene that was something of a mind screw given how utterly random and pointless it was, but that was the only thing that made me go "WTF?" Which is a big improvement over the last three or so.

7 out of 10 for me.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Lighthawk wrote:. They did have one scene that was something of a mind screw given how utterly random and pointless it was, but that was the only thing that made me go "WTF?" Which is a big improvement over the last three or so.

7 out of 10 for me.
If I may ask, which scene?
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Sonic Glitch wrote:
Lighthawk wrote:. They did have one scene that was something of a mind screw given how utterly random and pointless it was, but that was the only thing that made me go "WTF?" Which is a big improvement over the last three or so.

7 out of 10 for me.
Harry and Hermione's dancing scene. It wasn't in the book, served no story purpose, and was more than a little surreal.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Lighthawk wrote:
Sonic Glitch wrote:

7 out of 10 for me.
Harry and Hermione's dancing scene. It wasn't in the book, served no story purpose, and was more than a little surreal.
Ah. I looked it as a nice character moment, trying to distract hermione from her misery and such. It worked for me, eh. To borrow from TvTropes YMMV.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Lighthawk »

Sonic Glitch wrote:Ah. I looked it as a nice character moment, trying to distract hermione from her misery and such. It worked for me, eh. To borrow from TvTropes YMMV.
Yeah, I get what Harry was suppose to be doing, and it is in character for him and all, but the scene just felt very off to me. And as it didn't add anything truly important and was so strange, it just felt like a few extra minutes that were just tossed in for no reason.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

I liked it, it was a way to show that in spite of everything that had happened, everything that was going on around them and everything they had left to do, they hadn't lost themselves. They were still the same good people they have been.

Just my take on it though.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
shran
Commander
Commander

Post by shran »

I would also consider that scene to be an excellent hint of the life they have outside the books, that they do not just keep the dark lord from rising every second of their lives, but have a social life as well. A small sign of the friendship cementing together due to
beating up a troll together in first year
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Lighthawk »

Yeah I guess...I just didn't feel the moment, so it felt off to me. As SG said, YMMV.

Also I think the subject in your spoiler tags has well passed it's statue of limitations. Anyone who doesn't know that fact by now, probably wouldn't give a damn to have it spoiled.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

Lighthawk wrote:Yeah I guess...I just didn't feel the moment, so it felt off to me. As SG said, YMMV.

Also I think the subject in your spoiler tags has well passed it's statue of limitations. Anyone who doesn't know that fact by now, probably wouldn't give a damn to have it spoiled.
THEY BEAT UP A TROLL?!

Awww.. man, everybody managed to hide that to me until now. :bangwall: