Supersize Me

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Supersize Me

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I've literally eaten at McDonald's one time in the last 25 years, so it didn't bother me much either. I rarely eat fast food at all, but McD's is on my off-limits list. Blech.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Maybe its wrong of me but, and I'd be lying if I said I cared, I laughed like crazy when they told him he was going to die. I was raised on worse food then that for my whole life and I've never had a problem.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Deepcrush wrote:Maybe its wrong of me but, and I'd be lying if I said I cared, I laughed like crazy when they told him he was going to die. I was raised on worse food then that for my whole life and I've never had a problem.
Not wrong at all, I laughed too, mostly because of the fact that no shit thats bad for you, but generally we don't get the biggest McDonalds meal we can every day for every meal... So yeah, if they do, then it's their own fault that they are at risk of death. And I found it kinda funny because everyone in my class was amazed that OMG, if you eat crap for food you get crap for health.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

The only time I ate at McDonald's was when I worked there...once...for a week, then I quit when I saw what went on behind the counters. Like their ice cream. Real processed ice cream food product. It's the Velveeta of ice cream! :[
Nobody I know eats fast food for every meal every day. If you do that, yeah, I'm sure you'll gain 30 lbs. in a month or less and your arteries will look like cheese blintzes. You might as well put super glue in your aorta. If you eat it every great once in a while, then you probably will have no ill effects. How is eating fast food every day for every meal proof that fast food is the devil? Let's see you drink a Slimfast smoothie for every meal for a month and see if you're any healthier. After all, there's no meat in it. Stupid vegans.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Obviously, being surprised that what Sperlacher did results in serious health issues is about as smart as being surprised at getting shocked by sticking a fork into a live socket. However, the amount of hyperbole is to be expected; this was a movie. I don't believe Sperlacher thought that he would be reaching an audience of people who at McDonald's for breakfast, lunch, and dinner 24/7; I do believe that he (correctly) thought that there was a huge audience of people who ate it more often than is good for them without much conscious thought of what it was doing to them. Of course he overdid it, in order to add melodrama to his point.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Yeah, which for me kills the entire point of it, of course it's unhealthy, the question shouldn't have been if you eat it all the time will you get sick, it should have been if you eat it on a regular basis, not all the time, will it show detrimental health effects. What he showed proved absolutely nothing, beyond what was the freaking obvious. So basically now I know that if I eat McDonalds every day three days a meal, I will get fat and sick. But what if I have it for 1 meal a day, and eat healthy food the other two meals, I know nothing about that.

Also to some out there who are stupid will look at it as, "oh well I don't eat it every day three meals a day, so I should be fine", to which the questions comes up, are they wrong? Which we'll never really know because people look at his "study" as conclusive.
The world ended

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I don't know, I guess I didn't have as much of an issue with the film because I never expected a life lesson. I expected a skewed "example" in order to indict fast food, and that's exactly what I got.
as Bull offed Custer
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Mikey wrote:I don't know, I guess I didn't have as much of an issue with the film because I never expected a life lesson. I expected a skewed "example" in order to indict fast food, and that's exactly what I got.
Yeah, but you probably weren't shown it in Health class with the teacher telling you that fast food was like a killer in a bag.
The world ended

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Nickswitz wrote:
Mikey wrote:I don't know, I guess I didn't have as much of an issue with the film because I never expected a life lesson. I expected a skewed "example" in order to indict fast food, and that's exactly what I got.
Yeah, but you probably weren't shown it in Health class with the teacher telling you that fast food was like a killer in a bag.
Of course I wasn't, and you shouldn't have been either. Just because something is labelled "documentary" doesn't mean that the maker didn't have an agenda.
as Bull offed Custer
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Yeah, thus why I can't stand the movie, because of the fact that people act as if it's all unbiased, and it isn't.
The world ended

Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Unfortunately, I think that is more the problem of individual stupidity than the problem with the film. As a standalone, hyperbolic take on the dangers of fast food, sure not bad. It was probably intended to convey a drama melodramatically, after all it would be pretty dull if it were purely scientific. However, people as a whole seem to struggle with separating hyperbole from reality.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Reliant's right - that's an issue with people being dumbasses, not with the movie. If the movie had stated, "... and this is typical of how people eat," then fault the movie. If someone decides on their own to treat it as such, that's their fault.
as Bull offed Custer