New Batman Movie Gets Name

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: New Batman Movie Gets Name

Post by Tyyr »

That's actually a really good point. It would certainly draw a lot of parallels to what's been happening lately and a seeming perfectly legal guy tearing Gotham down would present Batman with a real problem.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

It would be interesting to see Wayne Enterprises suddenly finding itself almost bankrupt. He must spend billions of dollars on his Batman stuff, after all, with no real return. The climax of the film could have the President saving the day by authorising a government bailout... :)

(In passing I wonder, if Bruce Wayne just openly donated that much to the police force every year, would it actually have more impact on crime than Batman does?)

And a "criminal" who fights with legal means... what could Batman do, except become a true vigilante and just murder the guy? As the Dark Knight he's taken the blame for murders for the sake of the city, so I suppose it makes sense that he will take the final step and actually become that person for real.

But Batman becoming an anti-corporate vigilante, fighting against capitalism... might be a message a bit too close to the bone for Hollywood to put out, lol.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

Hmmm... the Pinguin taking a hold of Batman's hardware to defend himself against its main users?

I kinda like the idea.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I don't know why, but I kinda don't want to see the Penguin... again.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

When it comes to Batman villains there really aren't any that would be new to bring up without going into the minor and significantly lame category.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

stitch626 wrote:I don't know why, but I kinda don't want to see the Penguin... again.
What do you mean, "again"?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I think he means "again." As in, there was already a Batman movie with the Penguin.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Mikey wrote:I think he means "again." As in, there was already a Batman movie with the Penguin.
Like there was a Batman movie with the Joker.
And a Batman movie with Two-Face.

What's his point? Like, it's not worth to put a new character concept over a classic villain, revolutionising said villain into a new, original direction the way they did it with the Joker?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

SolkaTruesilver wrote:
Mikey wrote:I think he means "again." As in, there was already a Batman movie with the Penguin.
Like there was a Batman movie with the Joker.
And a Batman movie with Two-Face.

What's his point? Like, it's not worth to put a new character concept over a classic villain, revolutionising said villain into a new, original direction the way they did it with the Joker?
I'm not Stitch's spokesman, nor do I have a telepathic link with him; but I think he just means that personally he's not terribly interested in seeing it occur with that particular character.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Mikey wrote: I'm not Stitch's spokesman, nor do I have a telepathic link with him; but I think he just means that personally he's not terribly interested in seeing it occur with that particular character.
Oh, I see.

I'd be wondering then, if it's the character itself, or its interpretation shown in Returns?
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

The Penguin isn't the most serious of Batman's enemies (I realize the Joker wasn't either but I think the Penguin takes it step beyond the Joker) and the depiction in Returns was rather unpleasant. So that could be why. The Penguin isn't lighting my world on fire to be honest but I am liking the idea of reforming his character a bit. Same with Riddler now. I dunno, they've knocked two movies out of the park so far, I guess I can cut them some slack.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

The Penguin could be a very interesting enemy to have if his character was re-imagined a bit. Consider that in the last movie we saw the Joker and Batman more or less decapitate Gotham's criminal underworld. This leaves a huge power vacuum open for the Penguin to step in and take control. Give him a legitimate front as a politician or a wealthy businessman and Batman is suddenly facing a whole new series of obstacles when it comes to combating him.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I wouldn't mind the Penguin being mentioned, or even portrayed in the movie. Just, I don't want to see him as a major villain.

I really would like to see Bane (original comic version), or perhaps Tommy Eliot (for a more character driven film).
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Yeah, Hush could be an awesome villain if done right.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Especially the personal issues, as Eliot was a friend of Bruce's (and at times, still is, depending on the situation in the comic).