Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Re: Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

Oh well, I am sad that the people around here aren't that enthousiast about it, or didn't like it (although, I repeat it, it's something definetly meant for the 20-30 years old, centering on the 24th).

I mean, it convey a message I feel is needed in my generation. We have been sitting our bum in school all our lives until now. and now, we are out in the world, and no one tells us what's next. There isn't another further school to pick, or other exam to study for. And many people of that age just... ... hang out. They work, yhea, but that's about it.

That movie is very good to tell you to do something. That it doesn't matter what it is, but you have to do something hard to earn it. You have to have goals, projects. It's a comedy, I know. But it's also about Scott Pilgrim trying to make a hard relationship work, and actually pick up the sword to fight, because he wants to fight. Because if he gets up and go to the challenge, he will walk in a better man already.

Scott Pilgrim's moment of awesome wasn't him beating the final boss. It was choosing he wanted to go fight him.
It wasn't him finally getting the girl of his dream, but actually acknowledging he had been a jerk to girls in his past (including Knives).
The greatest battles in your life, you have to fight them for yourself.

(or maybe I saw too much into an otherwise funny and witty movie.)
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Personally I thought it was clever, occasionally funny, but pretty flawed.

I guess at 41 I'm too old for the group this movie is aiming at, but I did "get" the humour and it made me laugh two or three times, most notably with the Vegan guy having powers because Vegans are just "better than normal people".

But overall it just didn't work for me in a couple of places. For example, the way Scott fell instantly head over heels for Ramona felt like a huge "Because the script says so" moment; there's no real reason he loves her, he just does because otherwise there's no movie. They try to sell it to us by having people rave about how great and super cool she is... but they're breaking the cardinal rule of movies, "show, don't tell". Ramona never DOES anything that's especially cool or great, certainly not in the ten seconds it takes Scott to fall for her. In fact she doesn't really do anything much at all other than stand around looking bored. Why is he into this girl? I suppose she's prettier than Knives, but then his singer Ex is prettier still.

If that seems a minor point, it isn't. If Scott has no real reason to be head over heels with Ramona, then his entire motivation for the fights disappears. And the fights are what the whole movie is about.

Speaking of the fights, they got old pretty fast. The first had novelty... the Vegan one was funny... but after that? Fighting the girl was just dumb, and by the last one it was repetitive enough that I was just bored.

Overall I didn't hate it; it was an okay movie, but certainly nothing special.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

SolkaTruesilver wrote:Oh well, I am sad that the people around here aren't that enthousiast about it, or didn't like it (although, I repeat it, it's something definetly meant for the 20-30 years old, centering on the 24th).

I mean, it convey a message I feel is needed in my generation. We have been sitting our bum in school all our lives until now. and now, we are out in the world, and no one tells us what's next. There isn't another further school to pick, or other exam to study for. And many people of that age just... ... hang out. They work, yhea, but that's about it.

That movie is very good to tell you to do something. That it doesn't matter what it is, but you have to do something hard to earn it. You have to have goals, projects. It's a comedy, I know. But it's also about Scott Pilgrim trying to make a hard relationship work, and actually pick up the sword to fight, because he wants to fight. Because if he gets up and go to the challenge, he will walk in a better man already.

Scott Pilgrim's moment of awesome wasn't him beating the final boss. It was choosing he wanted to go fight him.
It wasn't him finally getting the girl of his dream, but actually acknowledging he had been a jerk to girls in his past (including Knives).
The greatest battles in your life, you have to fight them for yourself.

(or maybe I saw too much into an otherwise funny and witty movie.)
If you're basing your praise of this movie on the message, then why bother? This is a theme that's been done to death, and often in ways that aren't gimmicky or derivative.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Mikey wrote:If you're basing your praise of this movie on the message, then why bother? This is a theme that's been done to death, and often in ways that aren't gimmicky or derivative.
I guess I am bashing my own praises, or simply considering that I happen to be among those who liked it the most, which means the arguments I make simply won't do it for you people.

Ultimately, tastes can't really be argued. Objective facts analysis can be, but "did you like it" can't really. If it could, we would be able to understand Twilight Fans.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

SolkaTruesilver wrote:...you people...
Who are you calling "you people"?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
I believe he means those who didn't like/see the movie.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Tsukiyumi wrote:
In the context of the quote, the beings who didn't find it as good as I did (for probably good reasons steeming out of personnal taste), which probably encompass a large share of the audience.

Sorry, I won't do it again.

edit: ninja'd!
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

:lol: I love being right.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Sorry, that was sarcasm, purely. :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Tsukiyumi wrote:Sorry, that was sarcasm, purely. :lol:
Really?

I thought you peoplebeings resented this perogative calling, which should only encompass dirty meatbags?
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

which should only encompass dirty meatbags?
:laughroll:

Sorry, recently saw another TOR trailer with HK47.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

SolkaTruesilver wrote:
Tsukiyumi wrote:Sorry, that was sarcasm, purely. :lol:
Really?

I thought you peoplebeings resented this perogative calling, which should only encompass dirty meatbags?

Ah, hell. I read that quote in that damned assassin droids voice :mrgreen:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

SolkaTruesilver wrote:I guess I am bashing my own praises
I said "basing," not "bashing," but I guess you still get my meaning.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Mikey wrote:
SolkaTruesilver wrote:I guess I am bashing my own praises
I said "basing," not "bashing," but I guess you still get my meaning.

:bangwall:
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Don't feel bad. This movie just doesn't appeal to most of us.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.