Where in the world is Gotham City?

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Re: Where in the world is Gotham City?

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Nickswitz wrote:For some reason I thought it was the other way around, Metropolis being Chicago, and Gotham being New York City. not sure which was supposed to be which now that I think about.
Well in the Superman movies, the Twin Towers featured prominently in the flights over the city (at least in the Superman I) and then their absence was reflected in Superman Returns. Supposedly the director originally wanted a to feature a shot of Superman observing Ground Zero in a kind of "if only I'd have been here" moment. I believe accepted Lore is that Metropolis is New York. I always thought of Gotham as relating to Philadelphia, though in the new movies I see Chicago seems to be the basis.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Being filmed there doesn't relate Gotham City to Chicago any more than Tatooine is related to North Africa. The use of the name "Gotham" indicates NYC.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'd always figured that Gotham was supposed to be set in/around Chicago as well. No idea what put it into my mind, though.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Mikey wrote:Being filmed there doesn't relate Gotham City to Chicago any more than Tatooine is related to North Africa. The use of the name "Gotham" indicates NYC.
And that's got nothing to do with it. I've thought Gotham = Chicago long before the latest movies. The whole style of Gotham always seemed much more Chicago than New York.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Didn't look like the parts of Chicago I've seen... nor most of New York, either. The ambience struck me as what you'd get if you took the architecture of New York and the city planning asnd aesthetics of Prague. However, I still can't get around the naming convention.

BTW, IIRC Hitman by Garth Ennis (as good a dark comedy comic-book as you'd expect from the creator of Hellblazer, BTW) alludes to either New York or the Eastern U.S. seaboard.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Nickswitz wrote:For some reason I thought it was the other way around, Metropolis being Chicago, and Gotham being New York City. not sure which was supposed to be which now that I think about.
Metropolis is on the eastern coast of the USA. This is confirmed in the latest film "Superman Returns" and it's not New York either. You see a map of the eastern seaboard with the both of them labeled.
email, ergo spam