Facebook for pay?!

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Facebook for pay?!

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Any idea what they were trying to do? Or was it just some random guys screwing around?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Laughing Man
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Laughing Man »

Facebook Password Reset Scam Threatens Computers Worldwide

The Hook: Scammers send emails that appear to be from Facebook, telling recipients that their Facebook password has been reset and they need to click on an attachment to retrieve it.

The Method: The attachment is a password stealer that installs when the user clicks on it.

The Danger: Once installed, the password stealer can potentially access any username and password combination utilized on that computer, not just for the user's Facebook account.

This threat is potentially very dangerous considering that there are over 400 million Facebook users who could fall for this scam. This is also the sixth most prevalent piece of malware targeting consumers in the last 24 hours, as tracked by McAfee Labs.

Bottom Line: Facebook would never send an email alerting a user that they changed his or her password. Another clue that can signal a user has received a spam email is the use of poor grammar and awkward phrases such as in the below greeting "Dear user of facebook." Please note that McAfee customers with current subscriptions are protected from this type of malware.

Here is an email example of the Facebook Password Reset Scam to watch out for:

A map of recorded affected users

Heck Is Where People Go Who Don't Believe In Golly!
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I never got that, just a notice and suggestion to change my password when I went to Facebook's login.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Odd. A two-pronged attack, maybe? First generate common knowledge that people are trying to break into Facebook, then send out a mass of false Facebook emails with these password-stealer things in them?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Laughing Man
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Laughing Man »

This style of attack works very well, and is becoming increasingly common.

DITL servers have experienced unauthorised access and your password may be compromised

Follow this [url]linkhttp://www.ditl.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5376[/url] to change your password to ensure your account security.

Because at around 75% of internet users have only basic proficiency with computers (simple browsing, word and games) things which say they are official, appear official, no matter how ridiculous they really are.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Dude, I am so not clicking that link.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I did. It turned me into a newt.

... I got better.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Laughing Man
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Laughing Man »

:laughroll:
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Alright, I got the duck and the biggest scales, are we going to weigh this witch or shall we just proceed without the trial?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Just burn her anyway!