New Tron Trailer

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: New Tron Trailer

Post by Vic »

I was okay at the tanks (man I loved those things as much as the cycles), everything else.....not so much.
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Same here. The tank was my favorite part of the game. I just loved how the pincer-ships fragmented when you hit them. :lol:
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

GrahamKennedy wrote:I don't really know that I HAVE expectations for the new movie, really. I can't really think of where the story would have gone from where Tron left off. Apparently Flynn went back to the computer world and stayed there... but in what role? And why are there still games going on, if the whole point of bringing down the MCP was to stop that from happening? Did Flynn become a bad guy?
You know, I've been giving this some thought of late. I have two scenarios that could explain this.

1) In the computer world, it seemed as though time was moving at a greatly increased rate; Flynn seems to come back out mere moments (or maybe hours) after he went in, but in the computer world, a good deal of time had passed. Let's say it's only five times normal, for the sake of argument. This means he's been stuck in there for a hundred years by their standard. Perhaps he literally went insane after being there for that amount of time, and decided to rule the chaotic computer world in the absence of the MCP.

2) Tron (the title character, and Bruce Boxleitner's doppelganger) was created by Alan Bradley (Bruce's character) as a security program, and he literally worshiped Alan. Perhaps Alan is the villain, and he used Tron (an exceedingly powerful program) to imprison Flynn in order to steal Encom from him. It's a stretch, but they really didn't like each other in the first movie.

Of course, I could be way off on both, or close on both, but those are the scenarios I came up with after re-watching the original.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

From the trailer, I got the impression that Flynn thought less time had passed, not more. I also felt that he was working on some sort of magnum opus - either he became monomaniacal about it and became a "bad guy," or the powers that be in the cyber-verse have decided to stop him and he's the "good guy."
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mikey wrote:From the trailer, I got the impression that Flynn thought less time had passed, not more.
I based that on the lines near the end of the trailer.
Sam: "Dad?

Kevin: "Sam?"

Sam: "Long time..."

Kevin: "You have no idea..."
I have no clue how to explain his aging, of course. Then again, in the original, we only had a glimpse of the entirety of the computer world, and how it worked.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Praeothmin »

I for one can't wait to see this.
I've loved the first movie, and if they played it right, this one can be just as good.
The trailers I've seen until now show us two possibilitie:
1-Flynn is now the MCP, ruler of Tron, and is the Bad guy...

or

2-Flynn is a captive of the computer world, and his son is the only one who can save him...

Either way, can't wait to see it...
The truth always depends on which side of the fence you're standing... ;)
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Praeothmin wrote:Either way, can't wait to see it...
Either way, I'm seeing it in IMAX 3D. :D
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Aren't you guys overlooking the most basic aspect of Tron? The good guys had blue lines and the bad guys red. Granted, Flynn DID absorb one red guys lights as a disguise, but Tron turned him back.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Clu was yellow. :wink:
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Tsukiyumi wrote:Clu was yellow. :wink:
Who???
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mark wrote:
Tsukiyumi wrote:Clu was yellow. :wink:
Who???
Flynn's original program; he was using him to try and hack into Encom at the beginning of the movie. I'm thinking he might be yellow because he was an independent program. He appears to have been rebooted, or a new version written; he's riding up the lift near the end of the trailer with a bunch of red programs.

Also, the tank drivers are an aqua/green color, and several pink and purple programs can be seen near the end of the movie. I sort of scratched my head at those last two; I didn't recall that.

BTW, I realized something the other day: Tron himself isn't in the trailer...

And, then I had the thought that he may have been after all: he's the red program with the twin discs. :wink:
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Maybe Tron caught a virus :worried:
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mark wrote:Maybe Tron caught a virus :worried:
:lol:

Notably absent from the trailer (and the cast) is Yori (Tron's "girlfriend"). Maybe she got de-rezzed some time after the first one, and Tron's gone bad. The more I think about the first film, and what we've seen so far in the trailers, the more I think there really could be a great plot here.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Well, just from the amount of guessing here... they've certainly got me intrigued.
Foxbat
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Foxbat »

I know I'll be seeing it. Even if the plot sucks, the visuals will be awesome, and a crappy sci-fi movie with great special effects will beat ANY chick movie in the theater in my book...
"Nothing is more Airwolf than Airwolf!" http://www.ernestcline.com/spokenword/airwolf.htm