Ship of the week: Breen frigate

Deep Space Nine
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Good point. It just doesn't make much sense to me for a race as prone to small-scale conflict (piracy, etc.) as the Breen seem to have been to not have more effective 'conventional' weapons as well as the energy dampener. Who knows when you'll come up against someone who is impervious?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Possible.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

A weapon like that even used carefully wouldnt stay secret for to long.

I know its non canon but a Breen sold warp to the Ferengi. Whats to stop some random peon of a breen seeling a sample of the tech or at least selling knowledge of it to someone else.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Weird, me and Teaos are arguing on the same side, against Seafort.
Clearly this is a sign of the impending armagedon!
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I'll swap sides if you wish.

Or start my own side:

I think the Breen energy weapon is a energy based life form related to the tribble. Apon contact it multiplys uber fast "eating" all the energy on board.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I disagree completely! ( :o )

Don't worry, it makes a refreshing change. :P
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

I'm not saying that the Breen were even trying to keep the weapon secret - they were simply using it and by chance by the time the war came around they had yet to encounter a ship immune to it. Ships would simply dissappear, sometimes getting out a call that the were being attacked by the Breen, sometimes not. It would be easy for Starfleet to assume that they were overwhelmed by conventional weapons - the Breen did, after all, use similar disruptors to the Klingons and Romulans ("Generations").
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Eye witness only counts for so much. The breen trade with other races and have contact with them. It would seem impossible for there not to a fear amount of information about the tribble energy gun. When they joined the war this information would then be gone over with a fine tooth comb.

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Also, the idea that not one survivor ever...well, survived, to tell them what happened is stretching it a bit.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

We've all seen and discussed ad nauseum the lack of common sense that Starfleet often displays. I would not put it past Starfleet Intelligence (ha!) to completely discount any hearsay or third-hand intel pertaining to the Breen weapon/tribble gun. And onscreen, this is borne out - nobody knew WTF it was!
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

But it is not just starfleet this time.

It is also the Romulans who are experts at gathering information and the Klingons to. No one had apparently heard about it.

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

It's unlikely, yes, but possible. It would simply require a lot of luck on the part of the Breen, luck that they apparently had. As for trade, how likely is it that trading partners would be given a detailed description of the Breen's silver bullet, or even told that it existed
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Everyone on a Breen ship that had this weapon installed would know about it.

So some nameless peon who doesn't really give a crap about anyone but himself sells some information to someone at a trading post he comes across. It might not be detailed but it would still be information. Information that people would listen to since they would want to know how the breen keep making ships disapear.

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Teaos wrote:Everyone on a Breen ship that had this weapon installed would know about it.
Why? Worf and Ezri didn't know about it - they were aboard a Breen ship. All the Breen would have to do would be to keep guests away from the weapons section (a sensible precaution anyway) and they wouldn't have a clue how the ship was armed.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I ment every Breen on a Breen ship. Every member of the crew would know about it and when at some trading dump may not think twice about selling a little inside information about it to others.