The Suck Just Got Suckier

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: The Suck Just Got Suckier

Post by Captain Seafort »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Yeah, I'd pretty much expect Torchwood to be in favour of the Empire when there was an Empire. But since say the 1950s, there's nothing to indicate that they had the same nonsense that the London Torchwood did.
Torchwood One was Torchwood HQ, so I'd be very surprised if the policy of the subsidiary branches was any different, any more than the local branches of a large company differ in policy from head office.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Captain Seafort wrote:
GrahamKennedy wrote:Yeah, I'd pretty much expect Torchwood to be in favour of the Empire when there was an Empire. But since say the 1950s, there's nothing to indicate that they had the same nonsense that the London Torchwood did.
Torchwood One was Torchwood HQ, so I'd be very surprised if the policy of the subsidiary branches was any different, any more than the local branches of a large company differ in policy from head office.
But we don't even know that that was an official policy. It seemed more like an offhand comment by the woman to me.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

GrahamKennedy wrote:But we don't even know that that was an official policy. It seemed more like an offhand comment by the woman to me.
"The woman" was Director Torchwood and was in the middle of giving the Doctor a full briefing on the Institute's history and purpose. I'd call it as close to a formal declaration of official Torchwood policy as you're likely to get.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Captain Seafort wrote:
GrahamKennedy wrote:But we don't even know that that was an official policy. It seemed more like an offhand comment by the woman to me.
"The woman" was Director Torchwood and was in the middle of giving the Doctor a full briefing on the Institute's history and purpose. I'd call it as close to a formal declaration of official Torchwood policy as you're likely to get.
As I remember it the only such reference was when she said something about the Empire to Rose's mum and was told there wasn't a British Empire, to which she replied "Well not yet..." Which was hardly a policy declaration.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

There was also a definitive statement that "Torchwood refuses to go metric", and similar. They clearly saw themselves as the last bastion of the Empire. Whether or not this would extend to attempting to restore it, be that in the form of sleeper cells in the States or through force using their various stolen alien goodies, is another matter, but the Director's off-the-cuff comment certain reveals an openness towards the idea.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Captain Seafort wrote:There was also a definitive statement that "Torchwood refuses to go metric"
So do a lot of people, but it hardly means that they're committed to reconquering the British Empire. And indeed refusing to go metric would fit in fine with Torchwood USA :)
They clearly saw themselves as the last bastion of the Empire. Whether or not this would extend to attempting to restore it, be that in the form of sleeper cells in the States or through force using their various stolen alien goodies, is another matter, but the Director's off-the-cuff comment certain reveals an openness towards the idea.
For her.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Good Lord, if someone said "meter" on US TV the viewer's heads would explode.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

GrahamKennedy wrote:
They clearly saw themselves as the last bastion of the Empire. Whether or not this would extend to attempting to restore it, be that in the form of sleeper cells in the States or through force using their various stolen alien goodies, is another matter, but the Director's off-the-cuff comment certain reveals an openness towards the idea.
For her.
Correct. And since she's the boss, and Torchwood answers directly to HMQ we can pretty safely take that as official TW policy.
Tyyr wrote:Good Lord, if someone said "meter" on US TV the viewer's heads would explode.
Just as well there's no such unit then. :P What would happen if someone said "metre"?
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Then you're just talking gibberish. I'd suspect it was an English thing but there's no extraneous U's in there.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

And here we go again, English VS. US spelling debate round 2.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Tyyr wrote:Then you're just talking gibberish. I'd suspect it was an English thing but there's no extraneous U's in there.
Remind me, what is the name of the language we're using, and which of our countries' names more closely resembles the name of that language?
Reliant121 wrote:And here we go again, English VS. US spelling debate round 2000.
Fixed for you. :wink:
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

:P :lol:
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Should we let the Yanks in on the existance of Hectometres, or shall we keep that one quiet?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Tyyr wrote:Good Lord, if someone said "meter" on US TV the viewer's heads would explode.

Like in ST? ;)

Never seen Torchwood, but this is gonna suck worse than the NJO.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Ah, but Star Trek uses crazy terms all the time. Clearly this strange thing called a "metre" is some strange form of futuristic measurement. :wink:
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"