No, I would not push the button
64%

Total votes: 22
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: The Box - what would you do?

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Tyyr wrote:...So there's a good chance that as I push the button to post, someone is keeling over.
The point is that the "post reply" button on the DITL forum doesn't cause people to die.

That we know of.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Tyyr wrote:You could just as easily say, "Take a bite of your sandwich and somewhere in the world someone that you don't know will die."

Well, you never said I was responsible for it, just that somewhere in the world someone's going to die. In the time I've written this message nearly thirty people have died. So there's a good chance that as I push the button to post, someone is keeling over.
Um, I suppose I could have been clearer. When you push the button, somebody dies BECAUSE you have pushed the button. The person would otherwise have lived a standard lifespan.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I'd still push it.

Again, I'm the aforementioned bastard secondly my actions in no way force the people running this scam to actually kill someone, they do that of their own will which leads me into the third point there's no court in the world that would actually convict me of anything in regards to this.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

They don't do the killing. The act of pushing the button kills the person.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

The people running the scam still have to do something to kill the person.

And regardless, not changing my answer.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

I'm glad my life isn't in your hands then...
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Wow, they changed it a lot from the original short story. In that one, the husband died, the reasoning being do any of us truly know another.

Either way, I wouldn't push it. Money means little to me, and I don't think I could live with myself.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Nickswitz wrote:I'm glad my life isn't in your hands then...
You've got nothing to worry about until you're worth at least $10,000.

Besides, even in this scenario the odds are like 1 in 6 billion.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Tyyr wrote:The people running the scam still have to do something to kill the person.
Imagine it as a remote trigger system - you're killing the person, you just don't see them. The people running the scam may have played a part in arranging the killing, but it's you who's pulling the trigger.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I get the concept. I push the button.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Tyyr wrote:I get the concept. I push the button.
Fair enough. I wouldn't push it.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I can't honestly answer. I'd love to say "no" I wouldn't push it, but I'm well aware of my dark side.....especially for that much money and facing no repercussions.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'd like to say that I'd prevent pushing it. Or that I'd bury it somewhere so that no one would ever find it.

But I doubt I would. The temptation of getting millions for no reprecussionss would be far too strong. Most likely, I'd push it, feel awful for killing someone for the next few weeks, then end up convincing myself that no one really died - that whoever made the box was just screwing with whoever found it.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Tyyr wrote:I'd still push it.

Again, I'm the aforementioned b*****d secondly my actions in no way force the people running this scam to actually kill someone, they do that of their own will which leads me into the third point there's no court in the world that would actually convict me of anything in regards to this.
No, you still don't get it. People do not go out and kill them. It's a supernatural box, I think provided by the devil (at least that's implied in the trailers). It's not a matter of if you press this button we will kill someone it's you press it and someone will die, right now, because you did it.
email, ergo spam
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Tyyr wrote:I get the concept. I push the button.
We're not trying to change that answer. We are simply stopping you from side stepping the issue by claiming that it's the people running the scam that are causing the death. The whole point is it's not. The question is basically are you going to be an assassin, would you kill someone for money. I the answer is yes, then the rest is just quibbling about the price.

It reminds me of an old joke. A man asks a woman if she would have sex with him for $1m dollars. She says yet. He then asks what about $1. She says what do you think I am a whore. His reply is we have already decided what you are now we are just arguing over price.
email, ergo spam