Species of the week: Jem’Hadar

Deep Space Nine
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Well thats kinda what they have in the Halo books, so it should work then.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yeah, probably something multi-limbed.
Although, my mental picture is more along the lines of an ant.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

They seem to go for humanoid so i'd think something small is size. Able to move in tight spaces. Very smart with an eye for details. They might also run the G'H breeding programs.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I would guess a species developed like the Vorta; something with somewhat of a natural talent for engineering, then selectively bred/cloned/genetically engineered to be superior.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

It sounds like we've got this patted out then.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yeah, too bad the writers didn't. :lol:
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Well, you can't expect the folks who get paid to think about this stuff to come up with ideas as useful as the ones we throw away for free, now can you?
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

That's something that never ceases to amaze me. The fact that a bunch of guys who have probably never written a story in their lives, can flesh out a race that no one on the design team never even thought of. :roll:
Captain Peabody
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Captain Peabody »

That's something that never ceases to amaze me. The fact that a bunch of guys who have probably never written a story in their lives, can flesh out a race that no one on the design team never even thought of.

:roll:

[sarcasm] Yeah, I guess you're just smarter than them. [/sarcasm]

Seriously, though; I'm sure the art department and writers did think of a lot of darn cool ideas; it's just that, in the chaos of television production, not a lot of them came to fruition.
Anyway, it just seems funny to hear a bunch of guys sitting around in comfy computer chairs criticizing the skills of highly-trained professionals working their butts off to entertain us... but I guess we wouldn't be Star Trek fans if we weren't like that, would we? :wink:
"Lo, blessed are our ears for they have heard;
Yea, blessed are our eyes for they have seen:
Let the thunder break on man and beast and bird
And the lightning. It is something to have been."

-The Great Minimum, G.K. Chesterton
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

The 'Hunters and Tosk' were supposed to be seen later on jem hadar fighters, with the hunters filling the niche of recon, and the tosk, being implied as the species which was the ancestor to the jem hadar, prior to the gene mods, but apparently this was removed for clarity, i can't remember which studio source said that though, so can't cite
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

:roll:

[sarcasm] Yeah, I guess you're just smarter than them. [/sarcasm]
Er, where did I ever say I was? I pointed out the serious lack of creativity (and sometimes, common sense) among the design teams. In fact, I was replying to several other people who were talking about this unknown race, at no point did I ever imply I was smarter than them, merely that some of the people on this site are more creative than these higly paid profesionals. (take a look at DarkOmen's fan work for a good example)
Seriously, though; I'm sure the art department and writers did think of a lot of darn cool ideas; it's just that, in the chaos of television production, not a lot of them came to fruition.
That's my point; they aren't there. Whether this is the fault of the design teams or the writers is irrelevant.
Anyway, it just seems funny to hear a bunch of guys sitting around in comfy computer chairs criticizing the skills of highly-trained professionals working their butts off to entertain us
Actually, its a bunch of guys sitting around in comfy computer chairs criticizing the lack of skills these profesionals have demonstrated. There's a little thing called 'Freedom Of Speech', if I see something stupid then I have the right to say it is stupid.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I don't think we would have gotten to 10,000 posts if we were all afraid to mention our opinions.
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Indeed, god forbid we might actually disagree with one another.

Ain't that right, Teaos? :lol:
Captain Peabody
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Captain Peabody »

That's my point; they aren't there. Whether this is the fault of the design teams or the writers is irrelevant.
I think you're missing my point. No matter how cool, the reality of television production usually means that most great ideas go un-used, for the simple reason that, under a television budget and time constraints, they're undoable.
For example, let's say the DS9 writers had come up with the idea for a six-legged insect race to build the Dominion's ships. Now, firstly, unless such a species was absolutely necessary for an upcoming episode's plot, it would go uncreated, no matter how cool it may have been. But say Sisko and co. are going to visit a Dominion shipyard for the next episode, requiring a new race of Dominion ship-builders to be shown.
Then, the design gets taken into the production people, who trim the idea down of all unnecessary expenses; for example, a six-legged alien might require several puppeteers to operate the extra limbs; by eliminating these extra appendages, the crew saves quite a bit of money. Then, the practical affects of creating the costume come into affect, further reducing the 'cool factor' of the alien.
By the time it hits the screen, the design is probably far less interesting and innotive than it had been envisioned, but there's nothing most of the people involved can do about it; that's simply the way it is. It's only the ideas which are extremely cool to begin with that end up looking great in practice.

Now, I'm not saying we can't criticize. All I'm saying is this; it's quite easy to sit around and come up with amazing and innotive new ideas. It's quite another thing to put them into effect. :o
"Lo, blessed are our ears for they have heard;
Yea, blessed are our eyes for they have seen:
Let the thunder break on man and beast and bird
And the lightning. It is something to have been."

-The Great Minimum, G.K. Chesterton
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

Well a production crew or its affiliates may be better qualified at certain aspects of their profession, but it doesn't necessarily mean that they are 'smarter' than us, either, nor are they necessarily working their 'butts' off for our entertainment either.
I appreciate that some lines shouldn't be crossed, and slander or crudities,certainly shouldn't be employed, but we all have an innate right to criticise and debate, in any capacity.
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay